Pre-Worboys preservation campaign

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Rambo

Re: Pre-Worboys preservation campaign

Post by Rambo »

Well this has obviously has been spotted before. There is a reference to it on the forum going back a number of years but i originally spotted it on Flickr. So as you do take a small diversion to capture it in deepest Wirral.
Attachments
IMG_0973 - Copy.JPG
IMG_0974 - Copy.JPG
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

I think it's the only one in England, and it's had all the branches trimmed now so you can see it properly. I don't have one myself (I missed the one at Pinewood) but a bit too far for me.
Rambo

Post by Rambo »

DavidNW9 wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 23:43 I think it's the only one in England, and it's had all the branches trimmed now so you can see it properly. I don't have one myself (I missed the one at Pinewood) but a bit too far for me.
I deliberately went in winter so that the bushes weren't obscuring it as it wasn't easy to see it from the other photo's i'd seen. It's on a private road which i guess is some reason why it has survived as long as it has.
Sirsquinn

Post by Sirsquinn »

Not seen this design before personally. Presume it's pre Worboys?

Rigton Green
https://maps.app.goo.gl/37vctSzqP3oyY3CE6
traffic-light-man

Post by traffic-light-man »

Rambo wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 19:12 Well this has obviously has been spotted before. There is a reference to it on the forum going back a number of years but i originally spotted it on Flickr. So as you do take a small diversion to capture it in deepest Wirral.
Great to see that one is still going, and it's definitely had a repaint since the last time I was there. Used to pass it regularly as Lancelyn Theatre Supplies were up that little private track. It was all rusty and brown back then though!
Simon
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Sirsquinn wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 19:40 Not seen this design before personally. Presume it's pre Worboys?

Rigton Green
https://maps.app.goo.gl/37vctSzqP3oyY3CE6
Definitely. It's faded badly, such that the formerly black symbol and text are now lighter than the field they are on,and the red triangle is missing,but it looks like the real deal.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Make poetry history.

Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

Having visited Iron Acton for what appears to be the last pw level crossing sign still on a public road, I spotted how close I was to Olveston, famous for its direction signs, but being unprepared just covered every village and mopped up six, knowing there were a few more, (not sure how many), plus two entry/distance signs, a no horses and another bus stop (fare stage). There was a second level crossing sign for the other side but looks home made, I suspect the main one is not the one originally there but the people put it up on their own private land.

I just checked, I missed three more (at least?), one in Alveston (probably off the main roads I checked), one in Priestpool on a parallel road to the one I used, and yet another in Olveston possibly in a bush.

Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

Nice to see those direction signs near Aust Ferry are still there. They look to be in better condition than when I photographed them in 2007.
Last edited by Truvelo on Sun Mar 15, 2020 13:28, edited 1 time in total.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
Rambo

Post by Rambo »

DavidNW9 wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 00:50 Having visited Iron Acton for what appears to be the last pw level crossing sign still on a public road, I spotted how close I was to Olveston, famous for its direction signs, but being unprepared just covered every village and mopped up six, knowing there were a few more, (not sure how many), plus two entry/distance signs, a no horses and another bus stop (fare stage). There was a second level crossing sign for the other side but looks home made, I suspect the main one is not the one originally there but the people put it up on their own private land.

I just checked, I missed three more (at least?), one in Alveston (probably off the main roads I checked), one in Priestpool on a parallel road to the one I used, and yet another in Olveston possibly in a bush.
Great photos thanks for posting. It's amazing that these have survived.
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

They have nearly all just been renovated, and all the signs with raised letters were designed to be painted every few decades. You can't do that with flat ones. The only other place which has kept them all is Harlow with 13, although some places in rural Wales have as well.
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

This one in Kent randomly popped up when I did a search for a level crossing sign, I've never seen it online till now.

traffic-light-man

Although far from any standard, these fellas are wooden and still have their glass reflectors in the circle. On the A56 swing bridge over the Weaver.

IMG_20190501_202903 copy.jpg

IMG_20190501_202909 copy.jpg
Simon
Rambo

Post by Rambo »

traffic-light-man wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:37 Although far from any standard, these fellas are wooden and still have their glass reflectors in the circle. On the A56 swing bridge over the Weaver.

IMG_20190501_202903 copy.jpg

IMG_20190501_202909 copy.jpg
They look great. I think they were repainted when the bridge was refurbished a few years ago. It's a shame they will never serve their purpose anymore as they use automatic barriers these days.
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

The School sign in Bournville appears to have been removed and replaced with a modern one.
Make poetry history.

Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
roadsignfan

Post by roadsignfan »

This sign looks like the Pre-Worboys
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.24206 ... 312!8i6656
I love to use google map to find a cool thing.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

traffic-light-man wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:37 Although far from any standard, these fellas are wooden and still have their glass reflectors in the circle. On the A56 swing bridge over the Weaver.
They're definitely not as old as they look. The lettering is Arial Black, a font commissioned by Microsoft in the 1990s, so they are without doubt a modern reproduction.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Chris5156 wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 23:31
They're definitely not as old as they look. The lettering is Arial Black, a font commissioned by Microsoft in the 1990s, so they are without doubt a modern reproduction.
Reproductions of the originals which fell off the bridge eons ago.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
traffic-light-man

Chris5156 wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 23:31
To be honest, I hadn't given the font a thought - other than I thought it looked a bit too curvy for an old-school British sign, but was willing to give it a pass given it's wooden. It's a shame really, though surprised they've gone to the effort!

This image I've just retrieved after some quick googling appears to show railway-style solid red disks originally:
Sutton_Weaver_swing_bridge_(12).jpeg
Simon
traffic-light-man

Im not sure if this interesting example has been mentioned before! It's a bit strange, but the fonts look right to me.
Simon