Pre-Worboys preservation campaign

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

DavidNW9

Re: Pre-Worboys preservation campaign

Post by DavidNW9 »

DavidB wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 09:07
Berk wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 20:52 I saw this little gem in Witney yesterday. 😏
Another survivor at the other end of the county in Shiplake.
Oxford council have kept many bus stop signs, and others are dotted around the home counties.
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

Berk wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 17:15 I visited the Historic Dockyard in Chatham last week, on my way home. Whilst the main focus is on the historic buildings, they also have a number of PW signs dotted around, including a HALT triangle in a circle (but no panel).

Anyway, I came across this sign, and wondered if it was based on a genuine PW sign. The font appears to be Transport. Sorry it’s a bit poor quality, I took it from the end of the street and didn’t have time to get up close.
(It’s taken me a long time to separate this image; I thought I was taking a normal snapshot with my phone, but it sometimes makes short video clips instead, which the board wouldn’t allow me to upload).
It's very hard to discern but looks pre-1950s, and genuine. If you can list all the ones there I can go and mop them up, they had an old crossroads and speed limit as well but gone now.
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

Berk wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 20:46 Image
Thought everybody knew about that. 😕

Usually found upside down within a circle. Something makes ne think that’s a copy of a sign rather than an original one.

I guess the style inspired the earliest Worboys STOP sign.
Is this still in place, if so where? The only ones I know are in Liverpool and the rusted remains of another in Scotland. Museums and preserved railways don't count though as they are only exhibits.
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

DavidNW9 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 19:45
nick_dunn wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:10
DavidNW9 wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 04:12 I just found this unique sign in Elmley Castle near Evesham, rather than go 90 miles on a chance does anyone know if it's old or a poor copy, and maybe has or can take a picture so I can see it properly before I decide to take it or not? Thanks!

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.06884 ... 312!8i6656
Have you now visited this and taken a photo? I'm kicking myself over this one as I walked right past it only two weeks ago at the start of a long distance walk. I didn't have a camera as my walking buddy is the main photographer and he was off up the road taking photos of the pub (noteworthy as the queen stayed there on a visit in 1575).

Anyway I can get walking buddy to check through his pics. It is likely we'll do this walk again at some point and I won't miss the sign again! Streetview 2009 has a slightly better view of the sign.
I have been there, it was hand painted on wood, I presume the council wouldn't make one so someone made their own.

Luckily it allowed me to pick up the three near Swindon on the way home so job done.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

One that I don't remember seeing on here from near Skipton - a genuine KEEP LEFT. Can't be many of those in the wild!
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

Chris5156 wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 20:26 One that I don't remember seeing on here from near Skipton - a genuine KEEP LEFT. Can't be many of those in the wild!
I know of a private one in Surrey, one in Middx and a pair in Croydon, plus one somewhere miles north of London. The two I never got close to were a no left and right turns, the last were in an industrial estate near Hemel Hempstead for one and Croydon for another which lasted a very long time before I think the building by one of the main multi storey car parks was demolished along with the sign.

Here's today's offering which came up on an internet wide search:

crazyknightsfan

Post by crazyknightsfan »

Not sure if you've seen this one posted on Twitter, David?
https://twitter.com/henryspil/status/11 ... 61/photo/1
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

My goodness, totally original- presumably still there? I may have been able to get it yesterday but will have to soon now.
Mikeya

Post by Mikeya »

A few catalogue pages you may enjoy.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/36844288@ ... 5134426045
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

Lucky I was free today. I'd never have known about it otherwise. And very well looked after.

DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

Mikeya wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 20:41 A few catalogue pages you may enjoy.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/36844288@ ... 5134426045
Thanks, I've added it on the Flickr group page.
crazyknightsfan

Post by crazyknightsfan »

DavidNW9 wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 20:44 Lucky I was free today. I'd never have known about it otherwise. And very well looked after.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/487 ... 066b_z.jpg
One of the best preserved examples I've seen for a while, for sure. And such a random location on an unclassified road.
Berk

Post by Berk »

I’m a little sceptical. Whilst the design is spot on, it looks a little too clean to seem ‘original’.

The gap above Fordwells suggests a missing destination, or more likely, road number removed. Perhaps this would’ve been plated over on the original??

(But if I am mistaken, it’s very good. :))
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

It's just been painted as intended, the space is standard as either filled with a road number or a second place. The box was a standard size whatever was inside it. eg

Berk

Post by Berk »

That seems a little odd. Why not centre the writing in the middle, as per the norm??

Though I guess it would be easier to add places/numbers, if the need arose.
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

Unusual survivor in Overbury, Worcestershire I spotted last week. It's a nice change from the increasingly large yellow backings with warnings about speeding.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Berk wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 16:20That seems a little odd. Why not centre the writing in the middle, as per the norm??
Writing in the centre wasn't the norm. Placenames always went at the bottom of the box. The pre-Worboys system was much more focussed on road numbers than modern signs; signs generally had numbers in much larger lettering than place names and always put them first. The box would contain a route number at the top and a place name at the bottom. If there was no route number then the top half was left blank to make that fact clear.
Berk

Post by Berk »

DavidNW9 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 00:41Here's today's offering which came up on an internet wide search:

This sparked my curiosity, as I must’ve driven past there on my trip to the Cotswolds. So I got the OS map out.

The two Worboys examples both appear to be just farms, or farmsteads. Is that a first: naming a place too small to benefit from regular signage??

Or perhaps not, there is the Pheasant Inn in the Lakes.
andanother11

Post by andanother11 »

Saw this yesterday if it's of interest? There's loads of similar examples around Claygate / Hinchley Wood.
Attachments
EUDC.jpg
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

They are of the same era, but all council issued. They are made from fibreglass. Well spotted though and welcome to the team. Surrey had quite a lot of them but over half have gone in the last ten years.