Pre-Worboys preservation campaign

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Re: Pre-Worboys preservation campaign

Post by Chris5156 »

These are fantastic - thanks for posting them all! Some great ones here that are totally new to me.

However...
Bazzerpfr wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 14:38 Next into the Colne Valley above Huddersfield.

Swy7marsdendirker.jpg
I'm sorry to say that's not PW - they're both in Transport, so they are Worboys signs, albeit very old ones.
Bazzerpfr

Post by Bazzerpfr »

Thanks Chris. The only way i'll know is by posting them, and they're interesting anyway. For the record, the signs are in Marsden, at a dodgy bridge over the railway and canal that leads to the local Dirker estate and a canal beauty spot.
I am very lucky to live so close to two of the highest concentrations of pw signs in the UK, as North Yorkshire has a very positive attitude to some of the surviving ones. There are around 15 or 16 pw signs (that I know of) and 3 even older ones within, roughly, a 15-mile radius of Bolton Abbey in Wharfedale. Many have been posted, here are a few I think have not.
Just west of Bolton Abbey is the village of Halton East. They are immaculate.
Spen3haltoneast.JPG
Spen3haltoneast2.JPG
Bazzerpfr

Post by Bazzerpfr »

Further west still is the village of Embsay, and a well-endowed junction. I stand to be corrected on any of these, especially the third, as it is seriously antiquated, it was probably put up for passing monks.
Spen4embsay.JPG
Spen4embsay2.JPG
Spen4embsay3.JPG
Bazzerpfr

Post by Bazzerpfr »

Two signs on the main roads around Barden Bridge have been posted, but along the minor road over the bridge there is this.
Spen5barden3.JPG
Bazzerpfr

Post by Bazzerpfr »

One in Threshfield has been posted, but there's one nearby which rekindles the debate about pw signs v fingerposts. I submit, m'lud, that this is a fingerpost with; One fingerpost sign; one fingerpost sign with route classification; and one pw sign attached; but I await judgement.
spen18threshfield1.JPG
Bazzerpfr

Post by Bazzerpfr »

This beauty near Grassington deserves a :D
Spen22lintonriver.jpg
Bazzerpfr

Post by Bazzerpfr »

Here are two more for travelling monks in Sutton-on-Craven. Again, do they count?
Spen21suttononcravenX2.JPG
Bazzerpfr

Post by Bazzerpfr »

..and finally, for now, hidden away in Gargrave.
Spen7gargrave.JPG
Rambo

Post by Rambo »

These are just the ticket on a saturday evening. :D
crazyknightsfan

Post by crazyknightsfan »

Fantastic collection there Bazzerpfr
SteelCamel

Post by SteelCamel »

Spotted this in Tain. Looks pretty old, though not sure if it's a "real" PW sign or something unofficial. It's pretty uninformative - there's danger, but we're not telling you what it is!
vlad

Post by vlad »

SteelCamel wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 15:37 Spotted this in Tain. Looks pretty old, though not sure if it's a "real" PW sign or something unofficial. It's pretty uninformative - there's danger, but we're not telling you what it is!
It's the fact it's written in the singular that confuses me. Is it warning a specific motorist and cyclist? :wink:
"If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed." - Sylvia Plath
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

Bazzerpfr wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 14:38 Next into the Colne Valley above Huddersfield.

Swy7marsdendirker.jpg
Those are Transport font, probably replacing ones there previously, although unless they became illegible it would have made little sense to.
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

Bazzerpfr wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 14:45 I failed to find the "slow major road ahead" sign which is supposedly in the Rawdon area, but while looking for it found this.

Swy13rawdon2.jpg
I suspect the red circle above was it, the sign itself having been half inched at an earlier date.
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

SteelCamel wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 15:37 Spotted this in Tain. Looks pretty old, though not sure if it's a "real" PW sign or something unofficial. It's pretty uninformative - there's danger, but we're not telling you what it is!
Yes, it's real, but made before they were standardised in 1933.
TS

Post by TS »

Here's a nice one spotted at the weekend at Wash, near Chapel-en-le-Frith, still with the reflector studs in the lettering.

I would love to see it at night in the beam of the headlights!
20210501_182532-001.jpg
Kevin Roads

Post by Kevin Roads »

Has this https://maps.app.goo.gl/ya7knhkgXMgHfTv39 in Bishop's Castle been featured?
crazyknightsfan

Post by crazyknightsfan »

Kevin Roads wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 08:53 Has this https://maps.app.goo.gl/ya7knhkgXMgHfTv39 in Bishop's Castle been featured?
Nice little 'Road Narrows' PW sign across the road too - https://goo.gl/maps/oZB9uHN2VfQMP2uP9
Kevin Roads

Post by Kevin Roads »

Good spot. I know the direction sign is (probably) still there as I saw it about 2 years ago but I never noticed the RN sign, probably because I was walking on the other side of the road and my attention was on the direction sign. I'm not sure when I'll next be down that way but will keep a look-out and post the findings here.
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

Bishops Castle is a goldmine. A bit too far for me but can't chase them all.

The borough of Redbridge has finally delivered some material. Still very much in use.