Pre-Worboys preservation campaign

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Octaviadriver

Re: Pre-Worboys preservation campaign

Post by Octaviadriver »

I saw this one in Hereford last week, looking a bit the worse for wear.
Hereford.jpg
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Paul237 wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2016 22:25 I'm new to this website, so I'm probably posting one you've already seen, but just in case, here are three in Bridgnorth, Shropshire:

One of those signs has moved.
BigLIMG_2888.jpg
These are still present and correct.
BigLIMG_2887.jpg
This I haven't seen before, and I must have passed it hundreds of times.
BigLIMG_2889.jpg
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

Very lucky, as soon as I completed my total list of outstanding signs to get this one popped up in Wiltshire.

DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

I shlepped all the way to Walberswick today having been a mile or two away already unaware of any signs but got my reward. I went into the village and this turned up as well.

Edit I have just discovered Claude posted it in 2006, but I found it totally by accident.

Last edited by DavidNW9 on Mon Jul 29, 2019 00:46, edited 2 times in total.
Claude Ball

Post by Claude Ball »

South Devon 21 July 2019. Cast alloy.
1 a.jpg
Last edited by Claude Ball on Sun Jul 28, 2019 22:25, edited 1 time in total.
Claude Ball

Post by Claude Ball »

Buckfastleigh 24 July 2019. Nice attempt and fits the local well but with a little more attention to detail needed!
1.jpg
Claude Ball

Post by Claude Ball »

I was told this sign still stood at a location near Dawlish, South Devon. But after walking the whole area it was not found. 21 July 2019.
Dawlish near Ship Inn at Cockwood..jpg
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Claude Ball wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 20:28 Buckfastleigh 24 July 2019. Nice attempt and fits the local well but with a little more attention to detail needed!1.jpg
Without a doubt a modern re-make. I would lay money on the lettering being Old Road Sign Font downloaded from my website - the "G" is quite distinctive.
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

Having gone all the way to the other end of Northants recently, including the statutory check for nearby signs, this just turned up online a few yards away from it and had to go all the way back but was well worth it.

Octaviadriver

Post by Octaviadriver »

DavidNW9 wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 20:52 Having gone all the way to the other end of Northants recently, including the statutory check for nearby signs, this just turned up online a few yards away from it and had to go all the way back but was well worth it.

I know that area well from the days of my youth and cycling around those roads in pre-Warboys times and I've remembered this one is around the corner on the road from Welham facing the junction from the other direction.

https://goo.gl/maps/hpzD78UQHbYfNideA

I assume the signpost at the junction is old too and has fractions of a mile where the distance is over 5 miles.

https://goo.gl/maps/A5r1gqtwduqHFMkD6
Claude Ball

Post by Claude Ball »

Harlow.jpg
Harlow June 2019 - Local direction signs still standing.
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

There are 13 p-w directions in Harlow (unless any have gone since), I finally tracked the last a couple of years ago. If the council paid for the paint I'd spend a few weeks painting them all like new.
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

Today I did Worcestershire.

Claude Ball

Post by Claude Ball »

That's a great 'haul' David, well done. The arrow has to be my favorite.
Claude Ball

Post by Claude Ball »

LIGHTS NOT REQUIRED - A Question?
lights not required.jpg
Back in the day I believe you always had to have lights on (or a clip on parking light) when you parked on the higway between 30 minutes after sunset and 30 minutes before sun rise - I remember having to do this when I first had a driving licence in the early '60s. Some parking areas designated by the P sign had NO LIGHTS REQUIRED immediately under the P i.e on the main sign itself. The sign below has had qualifying time over-plated.
lights not required.jpg
Whilst I do not recall seeing them at the time the above black and white plates appeared in the late '50s and were added under the P signs and parking restriction signs. When unlettered they indicated lights were not required at any time or lettered with specific times as necessary.
Has anyone ever seen any MoT documents (SI, SRO) setting out size and usage of these signs?
The only references I have of them are in a manufacturers catalogue and an illustration in a RoSPA road safety leaflet.
Thanks
Claude
PS Sorry about the duplicated and out of sequence pictures but the Preview does not reflect what you Submit and after an hour I've had enough of fighting the editing system!
PPS It's now deleted a picture so make of my musing what you can whilst I go for a beer!
PPPS Now the duplicated one has reappeared and shunted the second pic to the bottom.
Attachments
23239664895_358ce9e7f9_o.jpg
Claude Ball

Post by Claude Ball »

Dawlish July 2019
Dawlish near Ship Inn at Cockwood..jpg
Berk

Post by Berk »

Are you able to upload a full-sized shot of the pic with the lighting up and no waiting restrictions?? I’m curious to know what the full sign said. :)

Also curious as to why we had an “international” yellow backing for some signs like “No Waiting” in those days, but then ditched it after Worboys, except for the lollipop Crossing Patrol sign.
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

I will add also other no waiting signs had blue backgrounds with red writing. Their messages didn't seem that different from the standard yellow ones but there must have been a purpose for the different colours.
Claude Ball

Post by Claude Ball »

Yellow & Blue Waiting restrictions.
This is my understanding, I'm all ears if I am wrong.
The International Convention of 1931 specified no waiting as a blue disc with a red outer ring and a diagonal red bar.
The UK 1933 Report considered that this was not too relevant to the UK for at that time waiting was rarely totally prohibited.
Instead, and to reflect the international recommendations, they recommended the same sign but omitting the red diagonal bar and replacing it with wording describing the restriction.
This is how the blue came about in the first place.
The 1950 Regulations perpetuated this sign but added the first total no waiting sign also still with the blue background.
Then in the 1957 Regulations it was decided to make total waiting restrictions with yellow backgrounds. So it is possible to come across identical, for example, 'No Waiting This Side Today' signs with both blue and yellow backgrounds.
The recommendations of the 1957 Regulations were that all set period No Waiting be on a yellow background and those where it was just restricted such as so many minutes in an hour be on a blue background. This would appear to have been an unnecessary complication because whatever the colour you had to read it.
Parking/waiting restrictions today are still signed in yellow with the main sign being yellow lines on the road surface with small yellow background clarification plates on adjacent posts.
As an aside do you remember the original dotted yellow lines now simplified to just solid single and double but not forgetting red!
Sorry can't find the original of that picture, even that was very poor quality.
Anyone ever seen the regs. for the b+w 'No Lights Required' plate?