Pre-Worboys preservation campaign

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

DavidNW9

Re: Pre-Worboys preservation campaign

Post by DavidNW9 »

I was going to say Main Street, but it's on the wall on the corner of Main Street and Helpston Road, with its end on Helpston Road. I didn't realise it would cause such a palaver as only a small end of Helpston Road is in Ailsworth before it becomes fields.
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

A nice clutch in Leominster, including an even older sign to Worcester next to the newer one, they are also the original 1930s arrows without a head, some of the last left in Britain.

Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

DavidNW9 wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 21:27 A nice clutch in Leominster, including an even older sign to Worcester next to the newer one, they are also the original 1930s arrows without a head, some of the last left in Britain.

... and neither A44 nor A49 pass through those streets anymore.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

I saw a pre-Worboys sign attached to the wall in this link. It was a flag sign showing Cambois 3½. I didn't get a photo of it as I expected it to be on Google. However I've searched the streetview imagery high and low and can't find it.

https://goo.gl/maps/5B4BybHvSGPXpNXM9
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

I've been caught like that once or twice and still none the wiser. It's not on the 2008 view either so possibly a nearby wall?
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

It was definitely opposite the entrance to the car park.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

I just mopped up six in Bristol, there was a seventh but the roads into the city centre were closed for works so didn't waste ages trying to get in just for one more.

crazyknightsfan

Post by crazyknightsfan »

^ Beauties, especially the A38 sign and the blue local destinations sign.
Truvelo wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 18:38 I saw a pre-Worboys sign attached to the wall in this link. It was a flag sign showing Cambois 3½. I didn't get a photo of it as I expected it to be on Google. However I've searched the streetview imagery high and low and can't find it.

https://goo.gl/maps/5B4BybHvSGPXpNXM9
The house behind looks like the home of a collector type, maybe it was a 2nd hand purchase recently mounted on the fence?
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

I have on a few occasions contacted the residents directly. A couple didn't reply while one told me they'd bought the sign I queried and put it on their fence, and the other cut a bush hiding the sign outside their fence. They then went on to discover the original colour was red not white and repainted it as it was as new. I'd recommend dropping them a line as clearly no screenshots since 2009 show a sign on that wall, maybe they put it there and it got nicked very soon after. I am tempted to connect an old crossroads sign to a lamp post near me if the brackets are large enough as it's for a pole, but it's so faded most people wouldn't be able to read it.
Big Nick

Post by Big Nick »

I knew I saw one in Blackpool 10 years ago and I've just found it (possibly again!). Boltonia Hotel, Albert Road - To North Station. I think the missing word is Railway.
It's a good location for all the daytrippers heading back to the mill towns after a Wakes Week.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.81643 ... 6656?hl=en

Another one here on Topping Street. Again, part is missing which could be the finger or North.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.81799 ... 6656?hl=en
Beardy5632

Post by Beardy5632 »

When I diverted via Brampton Abbotts to get to Ross the other week these 30 signs were still standing.

There used to be a load of old 30 signs along the side of Estcourt Road in Gloucester a few years back too however all bar this one have been replaced.

And a one way street sign on Harrison Street in Hereford. If you turn the camera around there's one on the opposite wall too.
British & Irish cities driven in - 48/75
England - 36/52, Scotland - 7/7, Wales - 5/6, NI - 0/5, RoI - 0/5
Lounge Lizard

Post by Lounge Lizard »

kieron wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2010 00:04 I recently saw this sign on Chester Road in St. Asaph. I don't know if the Llanelwy plate is also Pre-Worboys or if they made it like that to match. Holywell would normally also be translated, but it wouldn't appear on a new sign facing in this direction anyway. I'm not even sure if any other signs in the area mention Holywell.
Does anyone on here know between which years those town name signs ( ST ASAPH here ) incorporating, smaller, the next and previous towns with mileages were manufactured ?
Lounge Lizard

Post by Lounge Lizard »

Here's one in Cannock town centre, and the pointing hand suggests it really is old.
https://www.google.com/maps/@52.6882779 ... 312!8i6656
jervi

Post by jervi »

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.10318 ... 312!8i6656
This one on the A22 near Forest Row
Octaviadriver

Post by Octaviadriver »

jervi wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 01:29 https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.10318 ... 312!8i6656
Unfortunately its days must be numbered judging by the rust hole near the base.
RichardA35
Committee Member

Post by RichardA35 »

I was walking across central London yesterday from Liverpool Street to Waterloo station when I noticed this road number high on a building at the south end of Blackfriars bridge
jervi

Post by jervi »

Octaviadriver wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 09:08
jervi wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 01:29 https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.10318 ... 312!8i6656
Unfortunately its days must be numbered judging by the rust hole near the base.
Yeah, it's a shame really. There are hardly any old signs in Sussex, probably due to the route not changing or being bypassed that leads to the old signs being removed due to clutter or are a hazard. One exception to this is the A281 which is spoilt with the amount of old route combination signs it has retained.
Big Nick

Post by Big Nick »

While looking at Elkesley and the very limited exit routes from the village, I found this old sign. Crookford is closer to Elkesley than Bothamsall and across a ford but the road is a private farm track with gates today.
https://www.google.com/maps/@53.2534814 ... 312!8i6656

Sadly it's been replaced since 2011 but the main sign is also nice- https://www.google.com/maps/@53.2532885 ... 312!8i6656

I'm now tempted to drive along West Drayton Avenue for the fun of it - imagine visiting Clumber House in the 1880s and riding along miles of tree lined avenues from the main road.
jgharston

Post by jgharston »

Has this one been posted? Used to be the main road north from Pickering before Crossways junction was built.
traffic-light-man

Post by traffic-light-man »

I found these two today whilst driving about Wirral. Not sure if they've been posted before.

I was particularly fond of the reflectors still existing in the Chester sign!
Attachments
IMG_20190617_143502.jpg
IMG_20190617_143510 copy.jpg
IMG_20190617_145046 copy.jpg
Simon