Some amazing Streetview finds you all must see!

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Rojojnr

Re: Some amazing Streetview finds you all must see!

Post by Rojojnr »

Perhaps the lanterns you saw had been dimmed for overnight use. There again, the wattage used may have been too low for the height of the columns and that is the problem with SON, you have to have incredibly high-wattage lanterns to light a wide road effectively from a tall column when a 180w SOX lantern could do it better for less power! However the Government has blacklisted SOX it seems so we are stuck with it for now although MH is starting to be used on a couple of trunk roads now so maybe they will start to use them on motorways soon.
Yeah, most probably. The Trafficvisions were only installed about 3 years ago when the entire section of the M25 was widened, so it's very likely that they're fitted with dimming technology. Not sure about the Urbises, but I definitely think the Trafficvisions are recent enough to have dimming technology employed.

Yeah, I certainly agree that 180w SOX is far better than 250-500w SON in terms of energy and light output - despite its poor colour rendition, it seems far better value for money to me! But does colour rendition really matter on motorways? I don't think so, but highway authorities and the government (if it's true that they have blacklisted SOX, or if it's just highway authorities being stingy) seem to think otherwise! Yes, MH looks great on motorways - as Tony said when we were discussing the new Iridiums at M2 J7, a lot of A-roads in Kent seem to be having their SOX and SON overhauled with MH, so it looks like Kent might be at the forefront of new metal halide motorway technology!
Well to be fair SOX was never the most popular light source in my area anyway. It tended to be used mostly for intermediate roads or main rural roads. Some areas used it more than others. White light sources were favoured up until the 1980s and then although a lot of SOX was installed in that decade, a lot more SON was, especially towards the end of the 80s. In the 90s very little new SOX was installed and in this decade absolutely none, with the rare exception of the odd Beta 5 casual in Lytham St. Annes around 2000-2002. Even there SON 2600s are used as casuals now.
Sounds as if your area was never really that keen on SOX in the first place - it seems to me they only used it where SON wasn't really necessary. Lytham St Annes sounds like a real exception if it's using a lot of Beta 5s - just a shame they or other SOX lanterns are not been installed anymore, but at least the 2600 is being used instead of a certain other lantern! Even the 2600 could easily be fitted with SOX, but councils are so much into this "white light" mentality now, they can't seem to even do simple in-house conversions any more!
I remember DorsetWay telling how all the SOX was being replaced in Weymouth although I seem to recall he was happy about it Those two old SOX lanterns on Weymouth Prom are very interesting though and how on earth they've managed to survive so long when even some of the nearby SON lanterns are quite old is beyond me! That Silvergold especially is a real museum-piece! I really like the ornate column it's on and maybe that's been the lanterns saviour because I can't really imagine a modern lantern (heritage or not) suiting that column can you? I expect at one time, long, long ago all the columns along the Prom were of the same design and the Silvergold probably isn't even the original lantern for it!
There's actually three SOX lanterns there - two Metro-Vick SO50s on sleeved concretes and then the Revo. There are also actually more of those ornate columns all along the prom with fancy modern lanterns installed, the make and model of which I can't place. You are very right though - they don't suit the columns at all! Unfortunately, many of the others look to have been replaced with various SON lanterns on modern columns over time, in which case you're probably right again! As for the Revo not being the original lantern, that could be possible, but I'm really not sure! Oh well, at least the one with the Revo lantern still survives and some of the others are still standing, in one form or another!
We used to have GEC Bricks at J32 of the M6 but they've been gone since about 1988 when they were replaced by MRL6s. They are a quite rare sight for me these days although the last time I saw several Bricks was in Liverpool where there are still many around the city on CU columns with those infamous brackets they were fond of there in the 70s and 80s.
Yeah, Liverpool really seems to be the haven for GEC Bricks, doesn't it? Even though the Brick population has declined heavily in recent years, it still seems to be very common, alongside the MA60.

By the way, I also some Bricks lighting a roundabout near Yeovil on the way to and from Weymouth, which was very surprising! But Yeovil is Somerset, which I think still uses a lot of SOX anyway. There were also a couple of roundabouts near Weymouth lit with MA50s, which was unusual as Weymouth is almost completely SON now. I also saw a lone MA60 amongst some MRL6s on another roundabout - the MRL6s clearly replaced the MA60s, and perhaps the remaining one was brand new at the time and so was left. Or it could even be possible that the MA60 was used as a casual replacement for an MRL6 - that's happened in Liverpool before now, as we've all seen!
I agree it seems strange but there are quite a few businesses, schools and even houses that have either these Whitecroft Mistral Walls or Beta 2/5s wall-mounted as security lights in my area. I suppose people like them for the low cost of the power consumption although I agree they're not much use if you have CCTV!
Yeah, you're probably right. One school in my area uses Beta 5s on proper columns to light its main drive, but it's the only one in my area which seems to do it. A Comet store in Barking also uses two XGS104s as security lights. My local Sainsbury's uses a Philips MI lantern as a security light, but it could be an MI57 which runs SON. Whatever it is, though, it's been missing its bowl for ages and has now been replaced with an SON floodlight. Just goes to show you that SOX still does have some ground in the streetlighting market as cheap security lighting!
Well I think CFL is used in alleys etc to help people feel safer in back alleys at night although if you really want to feel safe then you shouldn't go down them in the first place! Blackpool never used Beta 5s or any other Group B SOX lantern, the previous alleyway lanterns were usually SRL8s running SON and this is still the case in many parts of town. One part of town has Urbis Albanys on 4m columns running SON at close intervals down it's alleyways although I have no real idea why. These Albanys actually replaced some short-lived CFL Irises which seems like something of a backward-step not to mention a waste of money as the Irises were on new 6m columns which got taken down as the Albanys were installed on brand-new columns again (although it seems the reason is because Blackpool Council got given a Government grant to give the area concerned an 'upgrade'). The actual roads in that area got new fancy MH lighting with lanterns that look like genies lamps! They look really strange and out-of-place as all the houses there are old terraced houses
This government grant does sound a bit wasteful, but I suppose while Blackpool had the chance, they may well have made the most of the opportunity (with such a tight-fisted government these days, grant isn't a word you hear of much anymore! :lol:). It does seem strange how Albanys were used though, as they are quite a bit older than Irises, and especially how the Albanys ran SON while the Irises ran CFL. But if the council knew the grant was coming, why install the Irises in the first place? I can well imagine they looked out of place too!
I now have a new Sony H50 digital camera, so expect a big improvement in my photos from now on!
Gram587

Post by Gram587 »

Yeah, most probably. The Trafficvisions were only installed about 3 years ago when the entire section of the M25 was widened, so it's very likely that they're fitted with dimming technology. Not sure about the Urbises, but I definitely think the Trafficvisions are recent enough to have dimming technology employed.

Yeah, I certainly agree that 180w SOX is far better than 250-500w SON in terms of energy and light output - despite its poor colour rendition, it seems far better value for money to me! But does colour rendition really matter on motorways? I don't think so, but highway authorities and the government (if it's true that they have blacklisted SOX, or if it's just highway authorities being stingy) seem to think otherwise! Yes, MH looks great on motorways - as Tony said when we were discussing the new Iridiums at M2 J7, a lot of A-roads in Kent seem to be having their SOX and SON overhauled with MH, so it looks like Kent might be at the forefront of new metal halide motorway technology!
Apparently British Standards recommend councils not to use SOX due to it's poor colour rendition. Like you say on a motorway it is difficult to see what problem poor colour rendition would cause. MH Trafficvisions are used on the A585 near me (only on a short section, perhaps as a trial) and they are superb! Certainly better to use MH than SON in any case but in these energy-aware times SOX would be best!
Sounds as if your area was never really that keen on SOX in the first place - it seems to me they only used it where SON wasn't really necessary. Lytham St Annes sounds like a real exception if it's using a lot of Beta 5s - just a shame they or other SOX lanterns are not been installed anymore, but at least the 2600 is being used instead of a certain other lantern! Even the 2600 could easily be fitted with SOX, but councils are so much into this "white light" mentality now, they can't seem to even do simple in-house conversions any more!
No they weren't that keen. Fleetwood used to have the most SOX but has very little left now, except in the odd back alley. Lytham St. Annes only ever used SOX on side roads, usually Beta 5s with the odd GEC Z9583 as a casual replacement. There are a couple of SOX Gamma 6s still in existence around Fairhaven Lake as well, although most Gamma 6s in Lytham St. Annes were mercury originally and then later converted to SON.
Yeah, Liverpool really seems to be the haven for GEC Bricks, doesn't it? Even though the Brick population has declined heavily in recent years, it still seems to be very common, alongside the MA60.

By the way, I also some Bricks lighting a roundabout near Yeovil on the way to and from Weymouth, which was very surprising! But Yeovil is Somerset, which I think still uses a lot of SOX anyway. There were also a couple of roundabouts near Weymouth lit with MA50s, which was unusual as Weymouth is almost completely SON now. I also saw a lone MA60 amongst some MRL6s on another roundabout - the MRL6s clearly replaced the MA60s, and perhaps the remaining one was brand new at the time and so was left. Or it could even be possible that the MA60 was used as a casual replacement for an MRL6 - that's happened in Liverpool before now, as we've all seen!
When I was on a train travelling to Nottingham I saw some 'baby' (Z9455) Bricks lighting a road over the railway somewhere in Derbyshire! Good to see a few Bricks still exist after all these years. Liverpool has some very dated lighting, they even still have some old open-bowled Wardle SO lanterns in nightly service! The way they still install MA60s including as casual replacements for SON lanterns is brilliant! Liverpool's lighting has always been very individual as the widespread use of Bricks shows as does the fact they favoured the Relite Gemini over more mainstream group B SOX lanterns. It's probably one of the best UK cities for lighting although not quite as good as Birmingham as that's still full of mercury lighting!
Yeah, you're probably right. One school in my area uses Beta 5s on proper columns to light its main drive, but it's the only one in my area which seems to do it. A Comet store in Barking also uses two XGS104s as security lights. My local Sainsbury's uses a Philips MI lantern as a security light, but it could be an MI57 which runs SON. Whatever it is, though, it's been missing its bowl for ages and has now been replaced with an SON floodlight. Just goes to show you that SOX still does have some ground in the streetlighting market as cheap security lighting!
A couple of schools in my area have Mistral Walls and a nearby factory has a load of wall-mounted Beta 2s down it's side. My local Government buildings tend to use SOX as well, mostly Beta 2s on columns or wall-mounted. I noticed one has some fairly recent XGS104 casual replacements as well. Also one Government office complex near me has an Eleco Turtle (SR305?) and some MRL6s as well as some strange, cheap-looking SON lanterns in the grounds as well. The Eleco is particularly interesting as well as it's on a quite unusual column, I'll have to get a picture when I eventually get a digital camera! :wink:
This government grant does sound a bit wasteful, but I suppose while Blackpool had the chance, they may well have made the most of the opportunity (with such a tight-fisted government these days, grant isn't a word you hear of much anymore! :lol:). It does seem strange how Albanys were used though, as they are quite a bit older than Irises, and especially how the Albanys ran SON while the Irises ran CFL. But if the council knew the grant was coming, why install the Irises in the first place? I can well imagine they looked out of place too!
It is strange! I presume (and hope) the Irises were used again elsewhere. I must admit the Albanys are brighter than the Irises although they are probably too bright for the narrow alleyways they are used in and in that way the Irises were better! The area is certainly well-lit now and all the lighting is spaced very closely, even in the alleyways where the lighting is positioned in a staggered fashion as if they were proper roads and looks quite strange! :shock:
Gram587- The stink of excellence in a world gone t*ts up
Rojojnr

Post by Rojojnr »

Before I respond to Gram587's post, I thought I'd better show you some wonderful surviving GEC Turtles on Charlwood Street in Pimlico, near Westminster:

http://www.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source ... 8,,0,-6.58

I've only just this minute known about these, since I checked Geograph for updates and found some photographs of the road! They look brilliant on Westminster's black and gold columns!

Oh, and here are some more Turtles (albeit dayburning) I forgot to show around the back of Waterloo station:

http://www.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source ... 8,,0,-12.5
Apparently British Standards recommend councils not to use SOX due to it's poor colour rendition. Like you say on a motorway it is difficult to see what problem poor colour rendition would cause. MH Trafficvisions are used on the A585 near me (only on a short section, perhaps as a trial) and they are superb! Certainly better to use MH than SON in any case but in these energy-aware times SOX would be best!
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised. Exactly - when is colour rendition ever needed on motorways? Mind you, I suppose it helps in RTCs having a white-light source when the police have to note what colour the cars involved are. Under SOX light they'd just look black or orange, when they could be anything but. Of course, white-light is needed when CCTV is installed, but how often do you need to install CCTV on a motorway? In all other situations, using SON or MH is pretty ridiculous!
No they weren't that keen. Fleetwood used to have the most SOX but has very little left now, except in the odd back alley. Lytham St. Annes only ever used SOX on side roads, usually Beta 5s with the odd GEC Z9583 as a casual replacement. There are a couple of SOX Gamma 6s still in existence around Fairhaven Lake as well, although most Gamma 6s in Lytham St. Annes were mercury originally and then later converted to SON.
Hmm, that's a shame. At least SOX did get a look in on the side roads though.
When I was on a train travelling to Nottingham I saw some 'baby' (Z9455) Bricks lighting a road over the railway somewhere in Derbyshire! Good to see a few Bricks still exist after all these years. Liverpool has some very dated lighting, they even still have some old open-bowled Wardle SO lanterns in nightly service! The way they still install MA60s including as casual replacements for SON lanterns is brilliant! Liverpool's lighting has always been very individual as the widespread use of Bricks shows as does the fact they favoured the Relite Gemini over more mainstream group B SOX lanterns. It's probably one of the best UK cities for lighting although not quite as good as Birmingham as that's still full of mercury lighting!
Yeah, GEC Bricks are still found in quite a few places near places where light spill is dangerous e.g. near railway lines or airfields. There are absolutely LOADS of them still surviving on the A40 going through Hillingdon as it passes the Northolt airfield:

http://www.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source ... 9,,1,-6.69

Yeah, I know Liverpool are still installing MA60s as casual replacements but aren't they being mass replaced where they are in large usage with Arcs and ZX2s now, as Wallasey has shown over on NWSL? But Liverpool certainly is unique, even today, I grant you! Even using those Siteco SQ lanterns is quite unusual and characteristic!

Yeah, Birmingham is full of mercury and SOX (mostly MA60s I've noticed, but there are also some old GEC Turtles that run SOX too)!
A couple of schools in my area have Mistral Walls and a nearby factory has a load of wall-mounted Beta 2s down it's side. My local Government buildings tend to use SOX as well, mostly Beta 2s on columns or wall-mounted. I noticed one has some fairly recent XGS104 casual replacements as well. Also one Government office complex near me has an Eleco Turtle (SR305?) and some MRL6s as well as some strange, cheap-looking SON lanterns in the grounds as well. The Eleco is particularly interesting as well as it's on a quite unusual column, I'll have to get a picture when I eventually get a digital camera!

Wow, SOX certainly sounds popular as security lighting in your area! But I fail to understand why private firms can do it and councils can't! It is rather strange using SOX as security lighting though, I have to admit - I would think security lighting would have to be a "white light" source for improved colour rendition to track down any trespassers or criminals. All depends on the purpose of the security lighting I suppose.
It is strange! I presume (and hope) the Irises were used again elsewhere. I must admit the Albanys are brighter than the Irises although they are probably too bright for the narrow alleyways they are used in and in that way the Irises were better! The area is certainly well-lit now and all the lighting is spaced very closely, even in the alleyways where the lighting is positioned in a staggered fashion as if they were proper roads and looks quite strange!
Hmm, that sounds very weird and excessive how the Albanys have been installed! I sincerely hope that the Irises were reused - that'd be very poor economy if they weren't!
I now have a new Sony H50 digital camera, so expect a big improvement in my photos from now on!
Gram587

Post by Gram587 »

Before I respond to Gram587's post, I thought I'd better show you some wonderful surviving GEC Turtles on Charlwood Street in Pimlico, near Westminster:

http://www.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source ... 8,,0,-6.58

I've only just this minute known about these, since I checked Geograph for updates and found some photographs of the road! They look brilliant on Westminster's black and gold columns!

Oh, and here are some more Turtles (albeit dayburning) I forgot to show around the back of Waterloo station:

http://www.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source ... 8,,0,-12.5
Wow! Amazing sight to see, again, old installations like these still extant in Central London! :shock: These Turtles really look good on those columns, very smart installations indeed! A shame that those in the second pic are dayburning, I bet they were mercury originally :)
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised. Exactly - when is colour rendition ever needed on motorways? Mind you, I suppose it helps in RTCs having a white-light source when the police have to note what colour the cars involved are. Under SOX light they'd just look black or orange, when they could be anything but. Of course, white-light is needed when CCTV is installed, but how often do you need to install CCTV on a motorway? In all other situations, using SON or MH is pretty ridiculous!
Apart from Cosmopolis which does at least offer a reduction in energy consumption, albeit not as much as SOX.
Hmm, that's a shame. At least SOX did get a look in on the side roads though.
One point is the villages of Preesall and Knott End (same parish council) where every single road (all group B lit at the time) had SOX lighting (all Beta 5s) and they're both fair-size villages. However these days every single road there is SON unfortunately even the back alleys! :(
Yeah, GEC Bricks are still found in quite a few places near places where light spill is dangerous e.g. near railway lines or airfields. There are absolutely LOADS of them still surviving on the A40 going through Hillingdon as it passes the Northolt airfield:

Yeah those are brilliant, especially the little 'baby' size columns further down through the flight path! :D
Yeah, I know Liverpool are still installing MA60s as casual replacements but aren't they being mass replaced where they are in large usage with Arcs and ZX2s now, as Wallasey has shown over on NWSL? But Liverpool certainly is unique, even today, I grant you! Even using those Siteco SQ lanterns is quite unusual and characteristic!
Well it's quite strange really. Where there are GEC Bricks they tend to get replaced with MA50s and where there are older MAs they tend to get replaced with ZX2s! I think the Arcs are mainly used on side roads. Those Sitecos are great and a little bit different like you say :)
Yeah, Birmingham is full of mercury and SOX (mostly MA60s I've noticed, but there are also some old GEC Turtles that run SOX too)!
Yes, that is strange, SOX Turtles! Apparently they were converted from mercury to SOX rather than SON because it was cheaper although how they shoehorn a SOX lamp into a Turtle is beyond me! :confused:
Wow, SOX certainly sounds popular as security lighting in your area! But I fail to understand why private firms can do it and councils can't! It is rather strange using SOX as security lighting though, I have to admit - I would think security lighting would have to be a "white light" source for improved colour rendition to track down any trespassers or criminals. All depends on the purpose of the security lighting I suppose.
Yeah, I spotted another SOX security light at the back of the Imperial Hotel today which looked like a Mistral Wall. I think this kind of security lighting is really just to illuminate the area to make it less attractive to trespassers, thieves etc. rather than to use with CCTV. Also with SOX you can run your security light throughout the hours of darkness permanently with lower energy bills than using MH. If you only want a reactive security light ie; one that only lights up when it detects motion or when manually switched on/off then MH is better.
Hmm, that sounds very weird and excessive how the Albanys have been installed! I sincerely hope that the Irises were reused - that'd be very poor economy if they weren't!
An even stranger sight I saw in Blackpool the other day was an overgrown alleyway full of rubbish (probably virtually impenetrable) lit at close spacings by CFL 2600s on modern (painted!) 6m Stainton columns! Yet they can't paint the columns on main roads! :roll: Why light an alleyway like this at all? It doesn't look as if it's ever used! :confused:
autosignguy
Account deactivated at user request

Post by autosignguy »

I just created a thread about the streetlighting in Leeds here.
Rojojnr

Post by Rojojnr »

Wow! Amazing sight to see, again, old installations like these still extant in Central London! These Turtles really look good on those columns, very smart installations indeed! A shame that those in the second pic are dayburning, I bet they were mercury originally
As I've said all along, London really isn't all about Urbis ZXs - there are some absolutely classic finds here, if you know where to look! :D

Yes, those Turtles look fantastic on Westminster's black and gold columns. I bet Alpha 3s would suit these installations to a tee as well!

Yeah, the dayburners were very likely mercury originally - I think much of London's "Turtle" lanterns were (or still are!)
Well it's quite strange really. Where there are GEC Bricks they tend to get replaced with MA50s and where there are older MAs they tend to get replaced with ZX2s! I think the Arcs are mainly used on side roads. Those Sitecos are great and a little bit different like you say
Yes, that does sound strange! Sounds to me like Liverpool can't make its mind up between installing new SOX and SON/MH. They can't seem to make up their mind about lantern manufacturers either - it must use at least 4 or 5 different makes of lantern for its schemes!
Yes, that is strange, SOX Turtles! Apparently they were converted from mercury to SOX rather than SON because it was cheaper although how they shoehorn a SOX lamp into a Turtle is beyond me!
Probably some sort of in-house tweaking, I would expect!
Yeah, I spotted another SOX security light at the back of the Imperial Hotel today which looked like a Mistral Wall. I think this kind of security lighting is really just to illuminate the area to make it less attractive to trespassers, thieves etc. rather than to use with CCTV. Also with SOX you can run your security light throughout the hours of darkness permanently with lower energy bills than using MH. If you only want a reactive security light ie; one that only lights up when it detects motion or when manually switched on/off then MH is better.
Yeah, that is very true! SOX security lighting seems to act like a beacon to say "here I am" just like how I say post-top lanterns act on side streets and to at least deter trespassers and criminals. But you're also right in that the energy bills with SOX security lighting are much lower than using MH. Yeah, MH should really only be used for PIR lighting - it's much cheaper that way!
An even stranger sight I saw in Blackpool the other day was an overgrown alleyway full of rubbish (probably virtually impenetrable) lit at close spacings by CFL 2600s on modern (painted!) 6m Stainton columns! Yet they can't paint the columns on main roads! Why light an alleyway like this at all? It doesn't look as if it's ever used!
Now that does NOT make sense! Why paint columns or even install the lights when there's nobody around to warrant or admire them? There's a similar situation in Tower Hamlets - there's this really grotty side street which is nothing more than a rubbish dump and a small car park, and it's been lit with post-top SGS203s running SON, just like a normal residential side street!
Rojojnr

Post by Rojojnr »

Sorry to double-post, but it looks like Streetview has covered a new little bit of my area which wasn't covered before:

A couple of GEC Bricks (and a Z9554) are still hanging on in there on Chigwell Rise in Epping Forest territory, although most of them have been replaced with MA50s:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... ,,1,-23.69

There's a very unusual concrete column indeed surviving on the service road to Chigwell tube station - could it be a Revo?

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 8,,1,-9.85

I would love to know what the original lantern was!

Now, back in Redbridge, here's a couple of Eleco PTs installed on columns that look newer than the lanterns:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 7,,0,-1.98

Here are some very new-looking Beta 5s installed on Mark Wade Close near the Lea Valley Ice Centre:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 4,,0,-7.32

Redbridge to my knowledge wasn't a big user of Beta 5s, so these have come as a big surprise (unless of course they're privately owned, which is very likely).

Another unusual thing for Redbridge: a swan neck bracket with an XGS103 on it:

http://www.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source ... .5,,2,-4.1

This looks to have been a replacement for an Eleco GR550 on a hockeystick, as these are what light the rest of the road.

Finally, some also very new-looking Phosco P226s on Sultan Road in Wanstead:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... ,,1,-18.87
Rojojnr

Post by Rojojnr »

Hi all,

I've just been casually checking Geograph for updates, and I found a photograph on there of a row of no less than 6 Thorn Alpha 3s surviving on Bessborough Street/Drummond Place in Pimlico, near Westminster. Here's the Streetview:

http://www.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source ... ,,1,-16.77

I also found this row of XGS103s installed on some reasonably new looking hockeysticks (although there is one rusty one) on Empress Avenue in Wanstead, Redbridge, near where I live:

http://www.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source ... 5,,1,-9.63

In fact, I'm surprised these are still surviving as the cul-de-sacs leading off the road are lit by ZX1s on side entry adapters and the rest of Empress Avenue is lit by SGS203s on Fabrikat hockeysticks. This makes me think, therefore, that the XGS103s must be fairly recent.
Last edited by Rojojnr on Sun Dec 27, 2009 21:07, edited 1 time in total.
lampman

Post by lampman »

Can't see the first link and all the columns with XGS103's in the second link are rusty and the paint is coming off them so i would say they aren't new but the lanterns seem to be newer.
Rojojnr

Post by Rojojnr »

Sorry Lampman, I must've only copied the very first bit of the URL. I've pasted the new link into the existing post. Enjoy the Alpha 3s! :)
Gram587

Post by Gram587 »

Good to see some more Alpha 3s in Central London, I expect these are SON but it would be great if they were MBF! :D

As for the XGS103s, the columns look older than the lanterns, in fact the columns look much older than the columns with SGS203s further down the road! Strange they left SOX on this small part of the road but it's probably a simple case of being forgotten about! Interesting that the very last column on the road has an SGS203 fitted, but unusually it's flat-glass. I wonder if that's because of it's proximity to the nearby fields (as from the bigger map it looks like a nature reserve) and they would want to limit lightspill onto it? :confused:
Rojojnr

Post by Rojojnr »

Good to see some more Alpha 3s in Central London, I expect these are SON but it would be great if they were MBF!

As for the XGS103s, the columns look older than the lanterns, in fact the columns look much older than the columns with SGS203s further down the road! Strange they left SOX on this small part of the road but it's probably a simple case of being forgotten about! Interesting that the very last column on the road has an SGS203 fitted, but unusually it's flat-glass. I wonder if that's because of it's proximity to the nearby fields (as from the bigger map it looks like a nature reserve) and they would want to limit lightspill onto it?
Yeah, just shows you how diverse London is in terms of streetlighting! It'd be lovely if it had more SOX (there is a tiny amount of SOX about, if you know where to look) though!

Yeah, very strange how those columns were left. The previous lanterns were probably Eleco GR550s or Beta 2/5s, as those were Redbridge's predominant side street installations during its SOX era, alongside the Eleco HW post-top. There are some even stranger cases of SOX lanterns being left, like this lone GR550 lighting a subway:

http://www.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source ... 5,,2,-1.86

Maybank Avenue was lit with identical installations up until 2006 when they were all replaced with the installations you can see to the right in Redbridge's metal halide trialling scheme which started in that year (you can see this advertised on Philips' website). Very strange how this lone GR550 got left behind though - I would've thought with subways being so dangerous these days it would've been replaced with white light!

In fact, this whole scene was up until very recently almost entirely SOX lit - the Iridiums you can see on the A406 flyover in the background replaced gear-in-shoe MA60s from the late 80s in 2003. The Trafficvisions on the slip road, however, are retrofits from early 2007 for black flat-glass ZX3s which dated from when this part of the A406 was widened in the mid-90s and so they didn't replace SOX. The post-top Trafficvisions you can see on the flyover are also from 2007 and were the continuation of the Iridiums which replaced the MA60s on the A406 in 2005 - why TfL delayed the rest of the scheme by two years and didn't just continue with the side-entry Iridiums is another question! Everything was all a complete waste if you ask me, but the MA60s on the nearby M11 dated right back to the mid 70s and had reached the end of their shelf life, so I suppose whilst TfL were replacing them, they thought they may as well replace the A406's MA60s (even though they were ten years younger) at the same time to save time, effort and money when those MA60s would've reached the end of their product lives. So this junction has just been absolute madness over the past couple of years, in terms of streetlighting!

Well, it's not exactly a nature reserve, but I see what you mean. There are fields there known as Wanstead Flats, which are part of Epping Forest. So your theory about the flat-glass SGS203 could well be right! :)
Gram587

Post by Gram587 »

Rojojnr wrote:Yeah, very strange how those columns were left. The previous lanterns were probably Eleco GR550s or Beta 2/5s, as those were Redbridge's predominant side street installations during its SOX era, alongside the Eleco HW post-top. There are some even stranger cases of SOX lanterns being left, like this lone GR550 lighting a subway:

http://www.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source ... 5,,2,-1.86

Maybank Avenue was lit with identical installations up until 2006 when they were all replaced with the installations you can see to the right in Redbridge's metal halide trialling scheme which started in that year (you can see this advertised on Philips' website). Very strange how this lone GR550 got left behind though - I would've thought with subways being so dangerous these days it would've been replaced with white light!
This happens a lot in my area. When a road is relit, sometimes there are lanterns on nearby footpaths or on other road approaches which were part of the same lighting scheme originally but these get left behind, often for a number of years (and usually when they are replaced they're replaced by a completely different installation to the others, often a cheaper alternative). Unless it had something to do with lack of HIAB access to the subway approach but they could have at least changed the lantern perhaps by using a good old-fashioned ladder?
In fact, this whole scene was up until very recently almost entirely SOX lit - the Iridiums you can see on the A406 flyover in the background replaced gear-in-shoe MA60s from the late 80s in 2003. The Trafficvisions on the slip road, however, are retrofits from early 2007 for black flat-glass ZX3s which dated from when this part of the A406 was widened in the mid-90s and so they didn't replace SOX. The post-top Trafficvisions you can see on the flyover are also from 2007 and were the continuation of the Iridiums which replaced the MA60s on the A406 in 2005 - why TfL delayed the rest of the scheme by two years and didn't just continue with the side-entry Iridiums is another question! Everything was all a complete waste if you ask me, but the MA60s on the nearby M11 dated right back to the mid 70s and had reached the end of their shelf life, so I suppose whilst TfL were replacing them, they thought they may as well replace the A406's MA60s (even though they were ten years younger) at the same time to save time, effort and money when those MA60s would've reached the end of their product lives. So this junction has just been absolute madness over the past couple of years, in terms of streetlighting!
What a shame, isn't it a pity that Google Streetview can't go back in time! Maybe one day :pig: :laugh:

Still, would have been good to see all the SOX and surprising how quickly it's all been replaced and with a variety of installations too. I won't complain about the addition of Trafficvisions, I like these a lot, as for Iridiums :yuck:
JamesA4311

Post by JamesA4311 »

Gram587 wrote:

Yeah those are brilliant, especially the little 'baby' size columns further down through the flight path! :D

The bricks on the baby columns, and on most of the medium-sized columns, are all gone now, I'm afraid :(

Before:
IMG_0240.JPG
After (excuse the quality):
IMG_0103_4.JPG
IMG_0106_3.JPG

So far the tallest bricks are all intact, I guess the contractors didn't have a tall enough ladder ;-)

J
Gram587

Post by Gram587 »

:(

What a shame! Those Bricks looked really good on those columns, the Sapphires just don't look as smart :x At least those Bricks on the tall columns are still there, the GEC Brick is becoming an endangered species though. Even in Liverpool it's numbers are depleting fast! :(
AtoB

Post by AtoB »

Proceed with care ! Falling rocks in residential street ahead !
somersetstreet.gif