Pre-Worboys or not?

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Chris584

Re: Pre-Worboys or not?

Post by Chris584 »

IMG_20210204_183543_340.jpg
I was watching the series "Widows" from the 80s and spotted this in the Aldwych underpass.
There were a few back-lit signs similar to this in London. There was a "keep left" sign on a post with an arrow under the wording and a red circle above that was back-lit on the roundabout on the north side of Lambeth Bridge, and the warning sign including the triangle on the approach to said roundabout was backlit. In this case the triangle formed a part of the main sign and not a separate part ie all one unit.
The circle on the roundabout sign was up lit from the sign beneath it.
I've not yet come across any of these signs in pictures or films until now.
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

I've seen a photo of a standard one there as they were far easier to leave than replace in 1964 so they survived into the 90s or so, but never a lit one. No right or left turns at traffic lights always were lit, as were some subway signs (some remain west of London), and some were around for the old red panel signs before the white ones which followed in the 50s. But as pre-Worboys don't have to go on this thread for the ones we're not sure about.
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

Confirmation the 10 mph sign is genuine p-W, here's the identical one at the Bluebell Railway. https://www.flickr.com/photos/126029278@N04/50921199948
jervi

Post by jervi »

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.97030 ... 312!8i6656

Could anyone say whether this sign here is pre wb or not? I went past it yesterday and the front part of the sign is no longer there, but just the posts and mounting for it remain. The posts are (or at least were) black and white striped. The sign may be in the vegetation somewhere, and if it is pre-wb I'll go and fix it myself.
Nathan_A_RF

Post by Nathan_A_RF »

Looks similar to the East Sussex variant, example here. You see these often in the county. I'd never really thought about how old they are.
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

jervi wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 20:07 https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.97030 ... 312!8i6656

Could anyone say whether this sign here is pre wb or not? I went past it yesterday and the front part of the sign is no longer there, but just the posts and mounting for it remain. The posts are (or at least were) black and white striped. The sign may be in the vegetation somewhere, and if it is pre-wb I'll go and fix it myself.
Yes and no. Local authorities are responsible for place name signs so if they chose the national font version that was an option but not part of that system, but part of the same set as road names. However the ones with mileages to nearby places did count as they were direction signs as well. That's why so more of them have survived as there was no demand to change them in 1964.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

jervi wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 20:07 https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.97030 ... 312!8i6656

Very definitely PW lettering.
jervi

Post by jervi »

Unfortunately the sign was no where to be seen :(

I think this bit of the A2300 is maintained by HE, so I'll let them know about it.
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

Rather than start a completely new thread, here's a fingerpost that is as close as it is possible to get to a pre-Worboys arrow as it can, it's just missing the arrowhead. In Chesham.

Imagefingerpost by David Howard, on Flickr
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

I'm still not 100% certain where path signs go as some are just like direction signs, like this one. I'm tempted to accept it. I found two more on the same estate with new material but they were both part of the road names which squashed that opportunity. I've put them in the council sign thread.

Imagepedestrian way by David Howard, on Flickr
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

Flickr's place marker links have all changed in about 2012, so some need clicking here or won't work at all. I am now working through all my sign photos to replace them with the working links.