Pre-Worboys or not?

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

DavidNW9

Re: Pre-Worboys or not?

Post by DavidNW9 »

Had this used stick on letters it would have gone straight in PW, but I don't think they used painted letters so probably not official despite the undoubted age. The font of course is 'Make it up as you go along', some letters don't even correspond with others, which was as expected when not using templates.

ImageS Tottenham sign by David Howard, on Flickr
Last edited by DavidNW9 on Fri Aug 11, 2023 02:34, edited 1 time in total.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

The lettering has also been designed to look three dimensional, which has never been a standard way of making any road sign. I'd say it's home made.
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

I realised that on closer inspection, which is definitely inadmissible. However, I have found a painted PW sign which also uses an unrecognised font, so it can happen. The crossing sign is on a major road (the A10, Tottenham High Road) so clearly made by an official body (presumably the council?) so should have some status beyond being knocked up by a concerned resident.

ImageStockwell signs by David Howard, on Flickr

Here is what seems like a hand painted sign by a concerned resident:

ImagePuttenham sign by David Howard, on Flickr

That would have been really nice had it been made in the proper way.
Last edited by DavidNW9 on Fri Aug 11, 2023 02:36, edited 1 time in total.
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Big L wrote:This?
Very definitely. That's lovely! What a strange post it's mounted on.
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

It's a place name on entry, there was a national design but they weren't banned from use in 1964, along with fingerposts and path signs, so are still present in good numbers but not made since 1964 in those formats. The ones with mileages ahead included double as direction signs and are very rare but these are not that different to the ones issued by county councils with the same font but the county arms, like Hampshire do.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Chris5156 wrote:
Big L wrote:This?
Very definitely. That's lovely! What a strange post it's mounted on.
There are still a few around Birmingham mounted like that. Seems to be a local thing.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

DavidNW9 wrote:It's a place name on entry, there was a national design but they weren't banned from use in 1964, along with fingerposts and path signs, so are still present in good numbers but not made since 1964 in those formats. The ones with mileages ahead included double as direction signs and are very rare but these are not that different to the ones issued by county councils with the same font but the county arms, like Hampshire do.
I remember plenty of those, they had the placename in the centre, distance to the previous town in a strip on the top, and to the next town in a strip on the bottom. Yes, they must be rare now, but I do keep a lookout for them.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
chris486
Account deactivated at user request

Post by chris486 »

shampooefficient

Post by shampooefficient »

This is homemade, but I like it...

http://goo.gl/maps/CBb6s
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

Ethel, that sign is 100% PW, anything using that font usually is unless it's for a road name or house name or the like. But any instructions will be, except when prefaced with 'private road' which give it away as not being.
chris486

Post by chris486 »

DavidNW9 wrote:Ethel, that sign is 100% PW, anything using that font usually is unless it's for a road name or house name or the like. But any instructions will be, except when prefaced with 'private road' which give it away as not being.
The fact that I only noticed it when cycling past rather than driving past it might go to show how good the post worboys signs are. Trafford Park is a gold mine for signs.
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

Docklands alert, this has fallen off its bracket and in 2012 was hanging upside down on a one way street at a car park exit. It's not round (modern turn left only) or oblong (PW) but square, and the back looks quite new but the rusty fittings (hence the falling off) are certainly not.

Is anyone in that part of the world to have a look? Being on probably a private exit it could be anything as not covered by the removal rules, so worth a check if possible.

http://goo.gl/maps/FSO6g
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

I know one line no through roads are an alternative issued by councils (no idea why they shared the task but there are many variations), but before 1933 there was no standard type so all were issued locally, and with an N postcode this pair predate the numbers added in 1917, so if pre-pre Worboys directions count (which they do), as the oblong plates with arrows beneath the place name continued virtually unchanged till 1964, how about pre-national information signs if their date can be confirmed as this one (and the same pair opposite which needed a tripod for night action)

ImageFelix Av by David Howard, on Flickr
Last edited by DavidNW9 on Fri Aug 11, 2023 02:38, edited 1 time in total.
B4591

Post by B4591 »

Spotted this little beaut in Stratford upon Avon last week - apologies if it's already been mentioned.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ll ... 5,,2,12.22
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

B4591 wrote:Spotted this little beaut in Stratford upon Avon last week - apologies if it's already been mentioned.
Nope, totally original- national signs were the no waiting circles, but no parking also appeared from time to time mainly on residential verges like this and probably meant they were official, if not they would be made by the council but still possibly count, I'll see what other people think, I've never seen that format at all either.
scragend

Post by scragend »

Chris Bertram wrote:I remember plenty of those, they had the placename in the centre, distance to the previous town in a strip on the top, and to the next town in a strip on the bottom. Yes, they must be rare now, but I do keep a lookout for them.
Here's one that I pass every day.

I think you got the place names the wrong way round though - the next town (Warrington in this case) is at the top and the previous one (Wigan) at the bottom.
chris486

Post by chris486 »

STOP AT TOLL GATE 80YDS
WP_20140309_005.jpg by EthelRedThePetrolHead, on Flickr

I'm sorry for the awful blurry picture.
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

The font's not official and a lot larger (and more legible) but if it's got raised letters then it probably counts anyway. Otherwise I'd also check the back to see the brackets as they changed every so often and can help getting the age. If you can get a closer version I could be more certain as it is a bit too fuzzy to get enough detail.

The Woolwich conundrum has been solved, it's a new one way arrow used instead of the circle so that's in the bin, but on the bright side did save me going to Woolwich again...
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

This ? In Criccieth.
IMG_8392P.jpg
Also, there seems to be lots of these...
IMG_8389P.jpg
... in the area, but they look kind of new and on new posts. Is the local council producing copies ?
Make poetry history.

Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.