Pre-Worboys or not?

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

DavidNW9

Re: Pre-Worboys or not?

Post by DavidNW9 »

As far as I know path signs are all council, plus it's not the usual font (look at the B), but no parking (it's a road as well) could be either.

DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

I don't remember seeing a genuine PW direction combined with a road name before, so which one wins, is it a road name with a direction (council) or a direction sign combined with a road name?

DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

Had I been ten years older I could probably have answered these questions. 1) Were signs also made minus the vertical line at the end of the arrow and 2) Were signs saying hospital national designs or made by the council? It appears to have been painted as it's in perfect condition which would be unlikely otherwise. It's in Odiham.

DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

Normally the pressed regular font no turning would have passed without question. The private road above looks dubious due to the modern NTR motif, but that has been painted on the pressed main sign. However this actual road is only a few years old despite the signs being made in the official manner. Were they taken from elsewhere, made from new or is it an old road with new houses? That's not possible as it's not on any maps before about 2000. Very odd.

Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

DavidNW9 wrote:Normally the pressed regular font no turning would have passed without question. The private road above looks dubious due to the modern NTR motif, but that has been painted on the pressed main sign. However this actual road is only a few years old despite the signs being made in the official manner. Were they taken from elsewhere, made from new or is it an old road with new houses? That's not possible as it's not on any maps before about 2000. Very odd.
I'd say it's just new signs made with old lettering. Some local authorities still make street name signs using pre-Worboys lettering, and anything that gets bolted to the same poles as the street name sign tends to be made in the same style. I think all you have here are three sign panels made recently using pre-Worboys lettering as that is the local authority's (or house builder's) usual style.
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

My theory being had PW signs not been stopped then their design not their age would determine their authenticity. Had the no turning been on an older road there wouldn't have been a single question around it as it's a stand alone item, but because it's on a road clearly built about 50 years too late it raises questions. But to me the sign's all that counts and were it found anywhere else would be perfect.
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

I have no idea of the origin of this. The wording is pre-war (corner became bend), the font is random and the sign is rotting wood. The letters seem stuck on and too uniform to be painted. It's on a public but barely usable road in mid-Kent. Any suggestions as to its age?

Imagedodgy sign by David Howard, on Flickr
bothar

Post by bothar »

This short of the NI parliament suggests that the signage, like the politics, remains in the 20th century.
http://cdn-02.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/in ... crisis.jpg
"I intend to always travel a different road"
Ibn Battuta 1304-1368
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

Nasty recent copy, many private roads use them as they think they will be more effective, maybe they are. My local library however has a real one which I restored for them after seeing it was all worn away.
P Bellamy

Post by P Bellamy »

How about this item?
It may or may not have been original to the 1950s pipeline marker "stile" it sits behind, before the original slats were lost.
IMG_20170304_150848s.jpg
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

The design is pre-Worboys but it's not an actual road sign. London Transport made quite a few similar to these and I have got one near me, the second appears to have been fenced off in Colindale so no longer accessible.

P Bellamy

Post by P Bellamy »

One of a pair of facing each other across the former A14 in Little Stukeley, enamel and mounted on concrete posts and crossbars.
Only really visible at this time of year, and the hedgerows have grown a couple of yards in front of them now!
LSESS2.jpg
Last edited by P Bellamy on Wed Mar 15, 2017 18:52, edited 1 time in total.
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

Those are just bog standard road names, issued by councils in any design they choose and allowed to remain indefinitely.
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

Slightly iffy but familiar alternative font, on an office car park entrance in Mitcham. Matching pair on each side of the entrance.

DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

I suspect this is worn Transport font, it's not MoT but that wasn't mandatory for PW. Copythorne, Hants.

Imagesign5 by David Howard, on Flickr
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

Imagine my disappointment. Eighty miles in the car and it's made of plastic with a plywood backing. Question is though did they ever make old directions in plastic or have I been done?

Berk

Post by Berk »

Could it have been an experimental sort of sign?? :?:
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

Certainly, there are some wooden ones which unlike this are well rotting away, but the plastic should last even longer than metal so technically quite a good idea.
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

I think this is neither Arthur or Martha but a privately made effort as many of these are made by homeowners to warn people of their drives.

Imagesign by David Howard, on Flickr
Berk

Post by Berk »

Well I do wonder, because you often used to see warning signs for roadworks, for example, in the PW-font - in white lettering, on a red background.

So it credibly looks like it could’ve been made by a highways contractor back in the day.