Pre-Worboys or not?

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Re: Pre-Worboys or not?

Post by Big L »

This? Or is it just 'in the style of'? I drove past this afternoon and didn't get a good look.
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

Big L wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 19:15 This? Or is it just 'in the style of'? I drove past this afternoon and didn't get a good look.
Both. It's pre-Worboys age and design, but if a sign says private road as well it basically disqualifies itself to privately made.
Berk

Post by Berk »

I am questioning this, perhaps because there aren’t any publically defined criteria as to ‘what is a private road’?? Are they simply unadopted, or just ones which have a residents’ association??

In any case, if it’s still undopted, someone will have to make a sign so it can be hung. Where else would you go to make one compliant with highways standards??
Reading

Post by Reading »

How about this - definately repainted but is it an old sign (on the left Beware Cattle)

https://goo.gl/maps/JvLAHxNG9UC2
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

Yes, it's real. They were made to be repainted and last indefinitely. If I ever feel like it I should go there.
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

I'll post one pair, they are two sided and of course I got them both.

Having seen a few now they did often make ordinary p-W directions without arrows and just aim them in the right direction. These have fingerpost fittings but the signs to me look like standard directions fitted onto what was probably the old fingerpost mounts and cut down to fit the frames. Imagine each had an arrow written underneath the place name and bingo, a standard direction sign. I'd give these a 90% chance of qualifying as you don't see fingerposts using large MoT font and this size.

Here are two definite examples to compare them with. The first is a pair of panels from a blue direction sign made for a pole pointing where they go to:

The second is the actual design I reckon it is which didn't use the arrow but aimed there instead. I have seen a couple of these made like that with no arrowhead when they are aiming straight ahead:

Image The arrowhead has fallen off the end here, you can just see the shadow where it was.

I reckon my new pair are the arrowless versions of sign #2 here, as the panel is identical once you add one.
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

Having checked nearby villages I can confirm these are old Oxford CC fingerposts who just copied the national style but don't quite make it. I do however believe these so far unique set in Chingford passes the test as they are not like any fingerposts.

Rambo

Post by Rambo »

Noticed this the other day. While mounted on a modern pole it looks rather old and non reflective. So unsure really.
Attachments
IMG_1659.JPG
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Rambo wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 21:30 Noticed this the other day. While mounted on a modern pole it looks rather old and non reflective. So unsure really.
The NSL sign has never changed. However, older examples may feature reflective button copy on the stripe.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

Yes, I think it's the only one that stayed the same, it's only the construction (old bracket and bolts) and raised black line or catseyes. That looks p-W, the easiest clue is when the one on the back is an old number limit.

I have an update on the Chingford signs from a resident who says an old set was replaced by these including one to Southend. The council however did make the design perfectly accurate font wise but really needed arrows at the end to be fully genuine.
AndyB
SABRE Developer

Post by AndyB »

Complicated because there did exist post-Worboys signs with the old brackets and rivets visible on the face...
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

I'm pretty certain this one is pre-Worboys. It was on the A461 just north of Walsall town centre. I took the photo in 2002 but I can never recall the speed limit ever being NSL so it may have been missed when the speed limit changed due to its small size.
Attachments
a461nsl.jpg
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

Probably PW but without catseyes or a raised black strip there's little between them.
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

I was 90% tempted to put this straight in the PW but as it's unusual wondered what everyone else thought. There are many PW signs just to parks on blue arrows, and the 'to' panel is an equally valid type, so I can't see why one of those to a park doesn't qualify as well. I have seen one in this format under a road name which was to the next village so I know it's a recognised version. If so it's the first I've ever found in the borough of Redbridge, that side of London has always been a PW desert with only one in Walthamstow and one in East Ham, both of which are repeats I already have from elsewhere. So far zero in Havering or Barking boroughs, although I did break my duck in Islington earlier this year so you never know.

Imagesign by David Howard, on Flickr
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

For a change this is a very simple question: Before numbered road flags had arrow heads but had a line down the middle like this

What did the non-numbered roads do? This would normally be a fingerpost but a lot bigger and on a major A road, the A44 in Nuneaton.

There are still a good number of these knocking around, and unlike fingerposts the others aren't double sided when on poles.
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

This one almost went under the radar for obvious reasons, but luckily the 1 caught my attention as it's the old version. Although values under 30mph usually had oblong plates with the ring above, I have seen a 20mph like this with the old font so am assuming it is a variation. I'm 99% sure this is the real deal but until someone confirms it or I find another online I'll keep it in limbo. Northolt airfield estate.

Image10mph by David Howard, on Flickr
avtur

Post by avtur »

This picture was posted on a local interest (Stockport) Facebook page. It is said to have been taken at the John Needham iron foundry in Stockport, there is no information about when the picture was taken but I'm sure the style of the signs will be a giveaway to someone.
Attachments
needham signs.jpg
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

Having checked my files I confirmed the parallel series of speed limits below 30mph have also been made in the regular p-W style, here is a 5mph and I seem to remember a 20mph as well. Very rare but apparently the real thing.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/_notes/35139359101/ 5mph
https://www.flickr.com/photos/63797212@N02/7030288303 10mph
nick_dunn

Post by nick_dunn »

Spotted this warning triangle near Wombourne today. On closer inspection I could find no trace of red paint - just bare metal. There are two narrow bridges ahead so if it is a genuine PW sign, possibly a ROAD NARROWS or HUMP BRIDGE may have accompanied it originally. It does beg one question - who on earth put it there and why? Maybe a local sign enthusiast!

ImageImageImage
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

Yes, they replaced the panel part and left the triangle, a few have done that and one in London with a circle I didn't get to in time. Just lost its paint but definitely an original one.