Liverpool streetlighting replacement

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

autosignguy
Account deactivated at user request

Liverpool streetlighting replacement

Post by autosignguy »

I see from wallasey's site that Urbis post-tops are being fitted...
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_2Rv5nFOk1dc/TPA3J ... 12/055.jpg

Looks downright ugly, surely a smaller post-top like a WRTL 2600 or Delta would have been better? Or just sleeve the Thorn Beta columns instead?

Whatever, it looks downright too big for a suburban street...
Gareth

Re: Liverpool streetlighting replacement

Post by Gareth »

Yeah, not good at all. Also, these newer white light lanterns seem to be too powerful for the roads they're in. Certainly in my girlfriend's street in Wavertree, there's one opposite and it makes the bedroom stupidly bright.
wallasey

Post by wallasey »

Not wanting to start a new thread, I have uploaded more replacement images from the city...this time on Allerton Road.

Link to Example

Link to page
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Sad that the big green lanterns are going but the new designs look very sleek and modern so not all bad.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
wallasey

Post by wallasey »

Agreed....we are in an area full of wine bars and suburban bistro's so the lighting is rather apt. Worthy replacements imo. At least they aren't Arcs or Iridiums!
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

They're much nicer than the usual SON/MH lanterns we get around here. Quite a refreshing change.
wallasey

Post by wallasey »

Refreshing also that the installations that adorn Edge Lane and the City Centre have not been used too.

One wonders if we will see more of these on the shopping thoroughfares of the City...County Road...Picton...Kensington????
autosignguy
Account deactivated at user request

Post by autosignguy »

Looks like the Sapphires and Evolos are being used; the Evolo gives Liverpool a somewhat Spanish feel to it.
mickus

Post by mickus »

Anyone noticed some/not all main street lamps have little antennas/aerials on ..the A580 east lancs road between Kirkby and St Helens have allot of these, my theory is : there is 1 photocell on a control column with a transmitter that then sends the signal to switch the rest on ... just a theory..

mike
let there be light
wallasey

Post by wallasey »

The Deysbrook Wardles have now gone.
Dan123

Post by Dan123 »

This past week has seen various new SON installations in the south of the City near to the Fiveways Roundabout.

Queens Drive from the Rocket down to the Fiveways has had new SON columns installed, replacing GEC bricks. Im not sure what the lantern type is exactly, it looks a lot like an Iridium but not entirely sure?

Old Columns

Also the same lanterns have been installed on nearby Childwall Road, replacing all remaining CU Columns with the unique Oval Lanterns and GEC Bricks :|

Previous and Previous

Finally nearby Picton Clock has had the same treatment with remaining CU Columns replaced with the new installations. They currently have a mixture of SON and SOX on this stretch now.

Before

Would be interested in people's views on these new lanterns? Think this is the first batch ive noticed in the City, expect many more to crop up somewhere soon!
wallasey

Post by wallasey »

hmm interesting...not been over for a few weeks!

Look similar to lanterns that were installed on Preston Street off Victoria Street in town.
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Those lanterns are quite smart, actually. Much nicer than the ZX2s (or whatever they are). They're cut off, which helps. There's not been a decent-looking, bowled white light lantern since the Alpha 3.

Notice, on Queens Drive, that the metal casual replacements have remained, complete with their SOX MA60s. I'm assuming the MA60s will go eventually though.
Gram587

Post by Gram587 »

Those new lanterns are Iridiums. If Liverpool is like many other places they will soon spread like wildfire. I find them quite dull and bland especially when they're replacing stuff like GEC Bricks and those Wardle(?) Oval lanterns.

It seems like Liverpool CC are having a purge on concrete columns judging by the above info and maybe they will retrofit Iridiums to the metal columns later, although hopefully not eh! Those concretes on Queens Drive looked ancient, I take it they dated back to the 1930s and they would have certainly had their moneys worth out of those! Also, it's a shame to see those Oval lanterns go, are those flat-glass as well like the Bricks and do they predate the Bricks and if so what decade are they from? They still look quite modern even now!
Gram587- The stink of excellence in a world gone t*ts up
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

The ovals were essentially the sodium main road counterpart of the tungsten & later mercury Highfield Manor lanterns on the side roads. There's pictures of them in situ in the 1950s and I wouldn't be surprised if, like the Highfield Manor, it came out in 1949. They were decommissioned around the same time too - c1970. There's no glass in them. The bulb is open to the air, like the Wardles, which were their immediate predecessors.

The bricks are a lot newer. Manufactured from the late 1960s to the late 1980s, if not into the early 1990s. They largely replaced the oval as the standard main road lantern for Liverpool during this era, although hyperions & Eleco GRs were also used for new schemes. I believe the bricks were more common for casual replacements though. When they were discontinued, I believe Liverpool used Eleco GRs on metal columns for a short time, then switched to Phillips MA, which they still use today for main road SOX.

And here's a treat for you. A casual replacement of a Liverpool Oval with a GEC brick and old CU column versus less old CU column, taking place some time in the 1970s...

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee23 ... cement.jpg
Last edited by Gareth on Fri Nov 25, 2011 01:48, edited 1 time in total.
wallasey

Post by wallasey »

Gram587 wrote:Those new lanterns are Iridiums. If Liverpool is like many other places they will soon spread like wildfire. I find them quite dull and bland especially when they're replacing stuff like GEC Bricks and those Wardle(?) Oval lanterns.

It seems like Liverpool CC are having a purge on concrete columns judging by the above info and maybe they will retrofit Iridiums to the metal columns later, although hopefully not eh! Those concretes on Queens Drive looked ancient, I take it they dated back to the 1930s and they would have certainly had their moneys worth out of those! Also, it's a shame to see those Oval lanterns go, are those flat-glass as well like the Bricks and do they predate the Bricks and if so what decade are they from? They still look quite modern even now!
They aint Iridiums, I've seen them up close. Hard to work out what they are to be honest. The design looks similar to these.

The underside has the shape of a Thorn Triumph!

Might be these

The lighting along the B5178 is changing...further into town in redevelopment area more of these are going in as well as a few Sapphire 2's!

The GEC Bricks bloomed as lanterns from 1970 Onward
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Good god, you linked to the very same photo!
Dan123

Post by Dan123 »

Ha great minds there! Really interesting picture that, shame there aren't too many similar ones around. Pictures like this from the 70's show off the GEC and other old lanterns really well, if only similar views would return!

The MA50's on the fabrikat columns on Childwall Road were also replaced in favour of the new SON lanterns this week, strangely I noticed them replacing the whole bracket of each column with the new lantern attached instead of just doing a retro fit! Money is obviously no object these days?!

It seems more CU Columns have bitten the dust on Victoria Road aswell near Aigburth Vale (didnt manage to get a picture of these). All MA50's on metal still remain however, creating a mixture of SOX and SON again! Every column with GEC Bricks was replaced, Arc's with the 'white light' were used instead though the same as here in Kensington from 09.

Certainly seems like a big chunk of CU Columns are going suddenly as Gram says, seems to be the originals rather than the ones with metal brackets although some of these have gone too. Not sure why this is as no PFI is in place.
wallasey

Post by wallasey »

Gareth wrote:Good god, you linked to the very same photo!
We wrote at the same time too!

As Dan says the CUs have gone on Victoria Road...and Warwick Street too.

Interesting how these are confined to the South of the City. Although with the recent road works on Queens Drive, the CUs with the GECs between Walton Lane and Breeze Hill have all been replaced with Evolo's...they look really good imo. Almost a contemporary Green Goddess.

Dan, yes and no regarding no expense spared...some of the MAs are recycled!

EDIT
One week later....Dwerryhouse and Lower House Lane Concretes have been replaced, this means the last Atlas' in the city are no more.
Dan123

Post by Dan123 »

Dan123 wrote:expect many more to crop up somewhere soon!
Well I suggested these monstrosities might make an appearance again soon and so it has proved!

Woolton Road from Gateacre Brow all the way to Queens Drive is seeing various CU Concretes with Ma50's getting replaced with this current new SON lantern.

Image Image

They're also replacing all GEC's and more remaining Ovals on aincient columns near Liverpool Hope University :( !

Image Image Map/Streetview

Finally all Eleco's towards Queens Drive are also about to go, the batch on the other side of Queens Drive still remain but for how long is another question!

So here's another big section in the south of the city which is about to be blanded out & seeing its CU stock of Liverpool classics all go :? . Thoughts?