Liverpool streetlighting replacement

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

nick217

Re: Liverpool streetlighting replacement

Post by nick217 »

Was any of them SON bricks saved?
Alsomaby worth asking about the ovals too?
wallasey

Post by wallasey »

Tell you what, the city is getting to be very quick when it comes to replacing columns. The ones on Wellington Road were gone in a week!

The roadworks website said Woolton Road would be done, however I didn't think Arcs would be used. No idea what these are, have tried looking!

Gateacre Brow can't be far off being modernised.

Everton Brow is seeing Urbis Evolo's installed.

Weird thing is, the concretes are replaced with these new columns/lanterns, pre existing installations with MA's seem to remain intact. Would have thought there would be a lantern changeover occur at the same time? Muirhead Ave East is a good example. When the SD card plays ball, I'll upload a few shots!
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

I've noticed on Woolton Road, the existing casual replacements (typically Phillips MA60s on Fabrikat columns) are not being replaced, only the concrete ones. Exactly the same as what happened on Queens Drive. So, there'll be a mix of SON & SOX, something Liverpool would never have done in the recent past.

Seems to be a real desire to be rid of the city's entire concrete stock and soon!
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

nick217 wrote:Was any of them SON bricks saved?
Alsomaby worth asking about the ovals too?
Uh, SON bricks? Surely you mean SOX. :?
nick217

Post by nick217 »

I thought Liverpool had some Son versions too?
Sorry if i was mistaken.
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

I've never known SON versions of the GEC Bricks to have ever existed.
Tmesisbob

Post by Tmesisbob »

There is a nice eaxmple of a day burning SON brick in the Solent Business Park near Whiteley, Hampshire.
Dan123

Post by Dan123 »

Gareth wrote: Seems to be a real desire to be rid of the city's entire concrete stock and soon!
wallasey wrote:Tell you what, the city is getting to be very quick when it comes to replacing columns. The ones on Wellington Road were gone in a week!
They're definitely keen to get rid of the City's concrete stock at the moment, really can't work out why this is! They have a long way to go till it has all disappeared though. Can still think of at least 10-20 major routes that still have concrete stock in situ.
wallasey wrote:The roadworks website said Woolton Road would be done, however I didn't think Arcs would be used. No idea what these are, have tried looking!

Image Image

I noticed a section of Mill Lane is getting it's CU stock with MA60's and Hyperions replaced with more Evolo's, it was mainly confined to the top half of the street with the bottom half still retaining it's stock. This area didn't seem to show up on the roadworks website list either?

It seems in the north of the City the Evolo is the preferred choice of lantern whilst its in the south where this Iridium like lantern seems to be making an appearance.

Considered emailing enterprise Liverpool to question why they're suddenly so keen to get rid of all current concrete stock and why this influx has suddenly taken place now, not sure if ill get the relevent response though? Would probably just get the usual ‘less carbon emissions and better quality of light’ excuse. The request I would also perhaps put to them is for somekind of imagination when replacing the columns instead of the general eyesores we've recently seen put up.
wallasey

Post by wallasey »

Good work there Dan! Will have to get down to Mill Lane...got a few Woolton Road ones! I will have to get them onto NWSL.

More scouse lighting stock biting the dust...gotta say (and correct me if I have said this before) the Evolo does look like a contemporary version of a Green Goddess. Wonder what they look like in mint green?
autosignguy
Account deactivated at user request

Post by autosignguy »

I wonder if Liverpool would ever use the Holophane QSM (well, that's what I think it is!) which I've seen in Southport:

Although it was on a hockeystick, would they look good retrofitted to a CU Highfield Liverpool, or on the old CU columns like this:
Orrell Park, Liverpool
wallasey

Post by wallasey »

What do people make of these...

Image 1
image 2

Got quite a few images to upload, it's been rather difficult of late...working in Derbyshire during the week :(
Fenlander

Post by Fenlander »

Why are the posts sat on those concrete plinths, looks a bodge to me. Noticed a few of those on the way to the Women's hospital the other day.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

The plinths will presumably provide a better anchorage without digging wide foundation bases that would interfere with services below the footway.

A service diversion costs megabucks.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
traffic-light-man

Post by traffic-light-man »

Were the old columns not on those plinths?

EDIT:

This view shows the old columns on the plinths.

I assume they've used twin lanterns as the old lanterns were twin-lamped heads.
Simon
wallasey

Post by wallasey »

All the high mast lanterns of that type have been replaced across the city...even the ones at Queens Drive/ Muirhead. Smaller installations like the ones on Islington seem to be safe.

As trafficlightman says, the platforms were there originally, I think there is also a hinge mechanism on these so the columns can be tilted down for maintenance.

Oddly, these are the only brackets of their type. Scotland Road/ Leeds Street do not have these brackets, which is what makes these slightly more unique.
autosignguy

Post by autosignguy »

Here's an interesting side-street lantern not seen elsewhere in Liverpool.
Don't know what it is, but I think it's the only location in Liverpool I've seen it... and on a street of CU Highfield Liverpool lanterns!
(It's the one in front of the camera, not the hockeystick in the background)
altfinch-close-1.jpg
This is what the avenue starts off with... a Relite Gemini on a CU Highfield [I think!]
altfinch-close-2.jpg
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

That's a CU Phosco lantern.

Used to be loads around side roads in Blackburn with Darwen. One from my childhood:

http://g.co/maps/ccx54
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
wallasey

Post by wallasey »

Also common in Tynedale once...now all removed over time.

Coincidentally, you moved from Knowsley to Liverpool in those pics, so the Phosco installation is on a limited lifespan considering the PFI.
Dan123

Post by Dan123 »

wallasey wrote:Also common in Tynedale once...now all removed over time.

Coincidentally, you moved from Knowsley to Liverpool in those pics, so the Phosco installation is on a limited lifespan considering the PFI.
Was going to say it looked like a Knowsley installation. Plenty of these lanterns still in Speke (or similar looking ones) such as here. Looks like they're going fast though judging by NWSL?

Also interesting looking installations in Parliament Street replacing those high mast columns, at least there's some uniqueness involved with the double brackets which makes a change!
autosignguy

Post by autosignguy »

This is my Photoshop attempt at installing a WRTL Stela on a CU Highfield Liverpool column:
liverpool-stela-1.jpg
Seeing how Lancashire's using them a lot now, I wonder if Liverpool will be next, or if they'll stick with the Arc and Urbis Evolo?

As for my earlier photo, doesn't Altfinch Close straddle the border... see the Liverpool lantern in the end of the photo?