Botched Traffic Signals

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Beardy5632

Re: Botched Traffic Signals

Post by Beardy5632 »

L.J.D wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 18:20
Big L wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 16:25 Anyone tell me what these lights are for?
I'm pretty sure they go red if a vehicle is speeding towards them. They are an anti speeding tool. Pretty ridiculous as well.
I went through there yesterday heading from Port William to Carlisle and this does appear to be case. There is also a second set at the other entrance to the village.
British & Irish cities driven in - 48/75
England - 36/52, Scotland - 7/7, Wales - 5/6, NI - 0/5, RoI - 0/5
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Beardy5632 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 20:48
L.J.D wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 18:20
Big L wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 16:25 Anyone tell me what these lights are for?
I'm pretty sure they go red if a vehicle is speeding towards them. They are an anti speeding tool. Pretty ridiculous as well.
I went through there yesterday heading from Port William to Carlisle and this does appear to be case. There is also a second set at the other entrance to the village.
They don't appear to be guarded by red light cameras, so unless the filth are in attendance, could be ignored with little consequence.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
L.J.D

Post by L.J.D »

A new botch makes no sense at all it should be an exemption plate. Surprising how common that botch is across UK councils. This set also is botched and should be a green ball and not a green arrow. So two sets botched together there. Though the mellors at that set were exactly the same I think. So they probly just swapped them over like for like.
jervi

Post by jervi »

jervi wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 13:05 Had this one a few days ago, I've reported it to B&H so hopefully it will be fixed in due course.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ALrICq ... omasJarvis

Can't see the right turn filter lights from the ASL, and the LLCS on the left side doesn't specify it is for left&ahead movements only.
fixed-min.PNG
Signal hoods fixed. Now can see signals from ASL. No changes to the LLCS though
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Blue mandatory turn right sign to denote the right turn signal is another common botch. An illustration of why we need to finally introduce red & amber arrows about 50 years or so after most of the rest of the developed world has.
FleetlinePhil

Post by FleetlinePhil »

Not exactly a botch, but a change to some lights locally that I find somewhat frustrating.

These lights control traffic over a narrow railway bridge that provides a (somewhat wriggly) back route to avoid the centre of Todmorden. From the time I moved here, they were set so that traffic going uphill always got a green light unless a vehicle coming the other way had tripped the sensor. The road carries mostly local light traffic, although I think some sat-navs now suggest it as a an alternative to the A646 especially if there is congestion in the town centre, and it worked very well on this basis.

Some years ago the lights were replaced and now work on a timer, resulting in frequent steep hill-starts after an unnecessary wait on red when nothing is coming the other way. Clearly the technology to trigger lights on demand is still used in other locations ie minor roads at junctions that only change when required. Is it no longer advised in a situation like this, does anyone know, or was it simply a lack of thought when they were replaced?
traffic-light-man

Post by traffic-light-man »

I'd suggest a detector fault, though you'd expect that to have been picked up by now if it's been that long. If a detector goes faulty, they normally fail active, so they'll constantly demand and extend (depending on what they're set to do in the first place). If you lose power to all the detectors, it will essentially result in fixed time because everything will demand and extend to max.

I can't see why fixed time would be used willingly in this instance, hence siding with the thought that it's a fault - perhaps worth a report to the LA?
Simon
FleetlinePhil

Post by FleetlinePhil »

traffic-light-man wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 09:35 I'd suggest a detector fault, though you'd expect that to have been picked up by now if it's been that long. If a detector goes faulty, they normally fail active, so they'll constantly demand and extend (depending on what they're set to do in the first place). If you lose power to all the detectors, it will essentially result in fixed time because everything will demand and extend to max.

I can't see why fixed time would be used willingly in this instance, hence siding with the thought that it's a fault - perhaps worth a report to the LA?
Thanks for the reply, I'd assumed it was a deliberate change because it has remained the same for over 10 years. I will drop Calderdale an email when I've time and see what their view is. Obviously if anybody can cite an example of something similar that still gives uphill priority I'd be interested to know.

I suppose drivers have just got used to it by now, or in many cases will be unaware it was ever any different. I'm glad at least it was uphill priority in the days I was driving a minibus round it every hour (the route has only ever operated as a circular in that direction). We do normally use it in the car to/from the Halifax direction, and it just seems wasteful having to restart two or three cars on a steep hill when there is no opposing traffic. Of course you could drop unlucky and be stopped for a car coming the other way before, but it didn't happen that often and at least you knew it had been for a purpose.
ryzzey

Post by ryzzey »

These signals in Yeovil have been switched off and covered for around 10 years now, not sure why they haven't been removed as I don't think they are ever planned to be switched back on.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.94252 ... 312!8i6656
L.J.D

Post by L.J.D »

Same with these except abandoned longer and they haven't even attempted to bag them up either. They look knackered surely just removing the heads would be a start.

Another set here but at least they are out of the way and cannot be mistaken for failed signals so don't cause panic braking. I can see this thread turning into an abandoned signal one now :lol:. I don't think there's been a thread on here for that.
Jonathan24

Post by Jonathan24 »

L.J.D wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:52 Same with these except abandoned longer and they haven't even attempted to bag them up either. They look knackered surely just removing the heads would be a start.
They don't exist anymore...

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.6562904 ... 384!8i8192
Craig91

Post by Craig91 »

Jonathan24 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 20:46
L.J.D wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:52 Same with these except abandoned longer and they haven't even attempted to bag them up either. They look knackered surely just removing the heads would be a start.

I’m unsure of their purpose / signalling. Did they all have straight ahead arrows?
Dave908

Post by Dave908 »

Craig91 wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 00:18
Jonathan24 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 20:46

I’m unsure of their purpose / signalling. Did they all have straight ahead arrows?
Aerial images show possible landfill sites separated by the road so I'd imagine the signals were to allow safe movement of trucks across it.

There's a similar setup here in Haydock. The site has been wound down and the haul road blocked off but signals are still in place for now.
OliverH

Post by OliverH »

MotorwayGuy

Post by MotorwayGuy »

Abandoned Pedestrian crossing here that hasn't been in use for at least 12 years:
https://www.google.com/maps/@51.2895869 ... 384!8i8192
L.J.D

Post by L.J.D »

There's this botch I noticed a while back. With the right turn lane coned off where is traffic supposed to wait? Because if they wait in the ahead lane and the ahead signal is green then they'd be blocking traffic from going ahead. It seems rather poorly thought out even if it was temporary.
jervi

Post by jervi »

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.1478943 ... 384!8i8192

This was built between 2002-04 as part of a major bus route optimisation project in Crawley which included guided busways and 44 junctions redesigned/bus priority measures.
This section here allows buses to switch between the airport perimeter road and Beehive Ring Road (via the A23), however its been disused since before 2008 (earliest GSV). This junction also includes a pelican crossing, which has also been out of action along with the junction.

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.1471641 ... 384!8i8192
The associated junction at A23/Beehive Ring Road also have bus access from the Airport perimeter road, which again has been out of action since before 2008. Also here many of the signal heads have broken lights but haven't been fixed in months. However the signals here are currently (13th Sep - 19th Nov) being refurbished. So it will be interesting to see if they replace the signal heads which haven't been used in 13 years. https://www.westsussex.gov.uk/news/gree ... n-crawley/
OliverH

Post by OliverH »

ryzzey

Post by ryzzey »

MotorwayGuy wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 23:07 Abandoned Pedestrian crossing here that hasn't been in use for at least 12 years:
https://www.google.com/maps/@51.2895869 ... 384!8i8192
Love how the road has had patchwork done and they have repainted the crossing markings despite it being out of use.
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

The signal is kinda dumb, directly facing a lampost...

81 A5046
https://maps.app.goo.gl/3Hhrp44ZhcfhoFwy7