Botched Traffic Signals

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

traffic-light-man

Re: Botched Traffic Signals

Post by traffic-light-man »

Bfivethousand wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 16:32 I think it's fair to call these, these and this a botch. The regeneration work in the centre of Cirencester took place in Autumn 2016, yet in the summer of 2018 there were no less than SIX signal head installations still in place at the Market Place junction. And may still be for all I know...?

It's Cirencester though. Maybe they're listed? :laugh:
I'm not sure why I forgot about this one when you first posted those Cirencester examples. It was finally removed when the junction was refurbished (again) as part of the Oxford Road scheme not too long ago. I always assumed there was a reason that it was still there, but perhaps it genuinely was just forgotten after the junction was remodelled in the early 2000s!
Simon
jervi

Post by jervi »

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.87326 ... 312!8i6656
"No left turn", "No right turn". Surely that is called "Ahead Only"??
traffic-light-man

jervi wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 20:34 https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.87326 ... 312!8i6656
I think there are quite a few locations where NLT and NRT are used instead of mandatory arrows, I think probably on the basis of the fact the former are generally more commanding. I also think that the misuse of mandatory arrows in many areas has probably devalued their worth somewhat when used as part of a signal face.

The whole of the Runcorn busway network uses NLT and NRT together at its 'level crossings'. Having said that, the Leigh Guided Busway tends to use mandatory arrows.
Simon
ReissOmari

Post by ReissOmari »

traffic-light-man wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:35
jervi wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 20:34 https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.87326 ... 312!8i6656
I think there are quite a few locations where NLT and NRT are used instead of mandatory arrows, I think probably on the basis of the fact the former are generally more commanding. I also think that the misuse of mandatory arrows in many areas has probably devalued their worth somewhat when used as part of a signal face.

The whole of the Runcorn busway network uses NLT and NRT together at its 'level crossings'. Having said that, the Leigh Guided Busway tends to use mandatory arrows.
Here's one for you, these signals have NLT, NRT and mandatory arrows.

https://goo.gl/maps/BDEQGp33jaqghUyVA
ReissOmari..
traffic-light-man

ReissOmari wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 16:16Here's one for you, these signals have NLT, NRT and mandatory arrows.

https://goo.gl/maps/BDEQGp33jaqghUyVA
Ah yes, that abomination. As much as I hate the idea of caving in to repeated misuse, this is one of those situations where I wonder if it would be safer to just introduce an all-round ped stage (or two) and allow turns.

I recently voiced concerns on a new scheme locally to me where although there's nothing actually wrong (IMO) with the design of the scheme, I think it might force drivers to intentionally make proposed banned turns (only banned to enable pedestrian facilities) thus endangering crossing pedestrians. As I say, I'm not at all keen on the idea of caving in to the misuse, but I'm not sure if it's sometimes almost 'forced' by design.
Simon
ReissOmari

Post by ReissOmari »

Not sure I'd call it botched, but wasn't sure where to post!

But take a look at this in Crewe, 20mph speed limit sign on the traffic signal! https://goo.gl/maps/ZdRzG1ULY61zbRSv6
ReissOmari..
traffic-light-man

ReissOmari wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 15:46 Not sure I'd call it botched, but wasn't sure where to post!

But take a look at this in Crewe, 20mph speed limit sign on the traffic signal! https://goo.gl/maps/ZdRzG1ULY61zbRSv6
I'd call it a botch! :shock: AIUI (without authorisation) only mandatory movement, banned movement and exception plate signs may be mounted within signal heads. I'm aware there are plenty of 'wrong' busses only mandatory signs and plates around and about too.

It seems they've implemented the requirement for 20 repeaters through the signals rather than actual repeaters. The 'THE ROAD AHEAD' terminal signs are odd, too.

Also an interesting placement of push buttons, particularly the one that's almost around the corner from the crossing.
Simon
L.J.D

Post by L.J.D »

These annoy me purely because of the fact the mellors that were there before had the correct blue plates with the bus symbol on them. Yet they changed them to "Except Buses" which makes no sense because it implies the lights apply to anything except buses. There's another further down at the big junction where again it was correct before and they've done the same thing on new installation. The new signalised bus exit from Leeds bus station is an improvement though means buses don't have to pull out and go around the roundabout and back on themselves huge difference and frees up the roundabout of unnecessary bus movements.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Leeds UTMC have some... interesting... approaches to signalling full stop.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
traffic-light-man

A major bugbear for me is the lone 'except buses' plate and it happens far too often, whereas the lone 'buses only' plates are a bit better. Although the blue mandatory bus signs are 'wrong', they make the most sense out of the lot IMO.

Similarly, placing the exception plate above the reg sign is another irritation.
Simon
L.J.D

Post by L.J.D »

Here's another one that looks botchy to me in Doncaster. I'm guessing it's because of the tight corner and street furniture was been damaged. It does its job though because many cars turn left there so they must understand it clearly.
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

I suspect that one's not technically correct but is there a better alternative? A sign indicating HGV's are not permitted to use the road to the left would be misleading: they can use that road if they arrive at the junction from the other two directions.

And while we're at that junction, look to the right and tell me what's unusual about the windows. I often use that junction accompanied by intelligent trainees and they never notice. I suspect you're more observant.
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Is that a doorway just floating there on the third storey?
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

They're painted on, aren't they?
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
the cheesecake man

Chris Bertram wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:36 They're painted on, aren't they?
We have a winner. :clap:

There used to be a cinema where the rough car park now is so there would be no point in windows or doors on that wall. As the intention is to build something else there is no point installing them now either.
MotorwayGuy

Post by MotorwayGuy »

traffic-light-man wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:55 A major bugbear for me is the lone 'except buses' plate and it happens far too often, whereas the lone 'buses only' plates are a bit better. Although the blue mandatory bus signs are 'wrong', they make the most sense out of the lot IMO.

Similarly, placing the exception plate above the reg sign is another irritation.
This one has been like that since the heads were replaced in 2009, the old ones were correct.

These ones managed to get it slightly more correct.
jervi

Post by jervi »

MotorwayGuy wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 16:26 These ones managed to get it slightly more correct.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.44461 ... 384!8i8192
Just up the road that bus lane isn't really enforceable. The upright sign saying the left most lane(s) are local buses & cycles only, while the bus lane is all traffic.
L.J.D wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 13:14 Here's another one that looks botchy to me in Doncaster. I'm guessing it's because of the tight corner and street furniture was been damaged. It does its job though because many cars turn left there so they must understand it clearly.
At what point does a LGV become a HVG, surly specifying a weight would be more legally enforceable?

Also how enforceable is this left turn ban for goods vehicles?
ReissOmari

Post by ReissOmari »

jervi wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 16:53 At what point does a LGV become a HVG, surly specifying a weight would be more legally enforceable?

Also how enforceable is this left turn ban for goods vehicles?
How has that hedge been left to grow so much, it's literally eating the traffic signal. Surely a hazard incase the secondary traffic signal ever fails?
ReissOmari..
traffic-light-man

jervi wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 16:53
L.J.D wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 13:14 Here's another one that looks botchy to me in Doncaster. I'm guessing it's because of the tight corner and street furniture was been damaged. It does its job though because many cars turn left there so they must understand it clearly.
At what point does a LGV become a HVG, surly specifying a weight would be more legally enforceable?
'Except for vehicles less than XXT' or 'For vehicles over XXT' might be a better option, or dare I say, perhaps a length limit. None are going to look pretty in a box sign, but they'd do away with the unnecessary apostrophe! :P

Those Mellors have an interesting moulding too, one I don't think I've noticed before.

Elsewhere in Doncaster, these Toucans are botched, but more compact than the correct option. I know the 'L' shape PCaTS heads are good for retrofitting, but I'd quite like to see the option for a 3-aspect in-line unit for use on new PCaTS sites - Red man/Amber timer/Green man.
Simon
the cheesecake man

jervi wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 16:53 Also how enforceable is this left turn ban for goods vehicles?
Not at all because it's a blue information sign?