Botched Traffic Signals

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

scynthius726

Botched Traffic Signals

Post by scynthius726 »

I'll start with this quite frankly dangerous example from Glasgow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfjJslzKoao

How on earth did this one get past FAT and SAT???
Member of the out-of-touch, liberal, metropolitan, establishment elite. Apparently.
boing_uk
Account deactivated at user request

Re: Botched Traffic Signals

Post by boing_uk »

:shock: :shock:

Flipping heck, Im am shocked.

(edited to appease the nancy who had to run to SMT to complain about the language. Couldn't speak to me yourself eh?).
Last edited by boing_uk on Thu May 26, 2011 23:34, edited 1 time in total.
michael769

Post by michael769 »

Shouldn't the controller have an interlock to prevent this????
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
Take the pledge
boing_uk

Post by boing_uk »

There will be no hardware "interlock" as technically there isnt a conflict - the greens . However, the intergreen has clearly been set at 0 and there are clearly no configured minimum limits on it (usually it would be 5 seconds in that particular situation).
Beardy5632

Post by Beardy5632 »

There was a good example of one in Sedbury up until the start of this week
226614_1869302247879_1100769912_31900053_2758117_n.jpg
226614_1869302247879_1100769912_31900053_2758117_n.jpg (14.05 KiB) Viewed 24686 times
Obviously (was) botched, but I'm assuming this is quite illegal too!!
British & Irish cities driven in - 48/75
England - 36/52, Scotland - 7/7, Wales - 5/6, NI - 0/5, RoI - 0/5
L.J.D

Post by L.J.D »

This is old , but read this , Some signals in my area tfl installed were botched and very dangerous. I Am guessing serco were responsible for this as they install the lights for tfl around this area

http://www.enfieldindependent.co.uk/new ... _junction/
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

The Enfield Independent wrote:Yet according to local shopkeepers, the lights tend to go out of synch every year
Now this is a curious feature, because I know another TfL signal set which seem to go awry about once a year. I wonder what the issue is.

It's this set, Savoy Street exiting onto The Embankment, which stick on red for this stage while the other stages cycle round. Presumably some detection issue. I've reported them more than once.

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&ll=51 ... 74,,0,6.84
boing_uk

Post by boing_uk »

Ahh the old "out of synch" fault.

Usually its time of day problems with the change of the clocks. I've got a couple of sites that dont change on the right date. One of my junctions has a cable fault which occasionally blows the 24v supply fuse, knocking out the detection and forcing the junction to fixed time. Often get complaints there about the lights "being out of synch"... theyre not as it is only three stages even though its a staggered junction. The only thing is the people on the side road getting delayed is all.
Gram587

Post by Gram587 »

The set of signals at Manchester Square in Blackpool used to have a curious detection problem. These signals, as well as controlling the traffic on the busy Promenade, Lytham Road and moderately busy Rigby Road also control the movement of trams in and out of the tram depot there all on seperate phases.However, for a while, when a single-deck tram came to enter the depot the signals would totally ignore it and the road phases would keep cycling as they do when no tram is present at the lights. A double deck tram would not suffer this problem. Obviously, the detector had been aimed too high and was missing the presence of the single deckers. It was odd though, and it took a few weeks before the problem was fixed.
Gram587- The stink of excellence in a world gone t*ts up
boing_uk

Post by boing_uk »

Manchester Square has a loop in the four foot on Lytham Rd; I dont know where the detector is for depot-bound trams. Either way there are no above ground detectors for trams on that site.
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

I'm not too impressed with the refurbishment being carried out at The Avenue/Gudge Heath Lane/Redlands Lane in Fareham.

As part of the works, the stopline for westbound traffic is being moved back a few metres. However, the stopline has been moved before the traffic signals, meaning that for a few weeks we've had a position where you can legally pass a red signal, and wait beyond it for the lights to change.

Also, two of the signals in Gudge Hearth Lane have been temporarily removed, meaning that only the right-primary is controlling traffic. Maybe it's just me, but having only one red light stopping traffic makes me feel very uneasy.
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
M4Mark

Post by M4Mark »

Johnny wrote: Also, two of the signals in Gudge Hearth Lane have been temporarily removed, meaning that only the right-primary is controlling traffic. Maybe it's just me, but having only one red light stopping traffic makes me feel very uneasy.
If you are saying there is only one signal head for the approach then I'd certainly be asking some questions to the local authority as TSRGD requirement is for two, one primary and one secondary to be installed (unless portable signals which are the exception).
boing_uk

Post by boing_uk »

Ive only ever had to run junctions on a single head due to RTC's. Its not a very comfortable situation from an engineering point of view and one of the reasons why I configure (new or modded sites as I get round to them) to switch off on a second red lamp failure where there are only two lanterns on an approach.

i would rather have a junction switch off completely than have a single arm where it appears the signals are all out and the other side running on greens - the potential for a nastier accident than a complete all out.
traffic-light-man

Post by traffic-light-man »

boing_uk wrote:Manchester Square has a loop in the four foot on Lytham Rd; I dont know where the detector is for depot-bound trams. Either way there are no above ground detectors for trams on that site.
I believe the other direction has a plunger in a lock box on the overhead cable column.
Simon
jcpren

Post by jcpren »

No picture of the error, sadly, but this green man aspect needed replaced since Streetview passed by... and was swapped to a green man standing in the red man's upright pose. Glasgow strikes again!
John
scynthius726

Post by scynthius726 »

jcpren wrote:No picture of the error, sadly, but this green man aspect needed replaced since Streetview passed by... and was swapped to a green man standing in the red man's upright pose. Glasgow strikes again!
I'm led to believe a lot of the red pedestrian aspects don't look the way they should on George Square at the moment! :wink:
Member of the out-of-touch, liberal, metropolitan, establishment elite. Apparently.
Beardy5632

Post by Beardy5632 »

Not much of a botch, but this arrow's pointing slightly the wrong way!!
British & Irish cities driven in - 48/75
England - 36/52, Scotland - 7/7, Wales - 5/6, NI - 0/5, RoI - 0/5
Gram587

Post by Gram587 »

Beardy5632 wrote:Not much of a botch, but this arrow's pointing slightly the wrong way!!
Not really, it follows the angle of the road imo.
Gram587- The stink of excellence in a world gone t*ts up
irrelevant

Post by irrelevant »

Spotted these in a film the other day - I'm trying to work out how this makes any kind of sense... Presumably the lights have green arrows, and they should be enough?
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

irrelevant wrote:Spotted these in a film the other day - I'm trying to work out how this makes any kind of sense... Presumably the lights have green arrows, and they should be enough?
Yes, the left-hand signal goes green for ahead and left turns, and the right-hand signal is for traffic in a seperate right-turn lane and has a right-turn arrow.

Must admit I didn't see anything unusual or confusing about this when I opened the GSV link you posted - is it a London thing that I'm used to seeing, that would be considered unusual elsewhere?