Botched Traffic Signals

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

UKboy

Re: Botched Traffic Signals

Post by UKboy »

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3115669 ... 384!8i8192. The green light has completely been removed from this traffic light.
traffic-light-man

Post by traffic-light-man »

I'd say that's more of a fault than a botch, it certainly had an aspect there initially.

Those signals were bagged (or the ones for the main road were, anyway) until fairly recently with some incredibly tatty Wirral MBC marked bags. Someone's obviously been and retrieved the bags at some stage!
Simon
ReissOmari

Post by ReissOmari »

This could potentially be confusing at first sight :laugh:

https://www.google.com/maps/@54.4434147 ... 384!8i8192
ReissOmari..
UKboy

Post by UKboy »

ReissOmari wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 13:40 This could potentially be confusing at first sight :laugh:

https://www.google.com/maps/@54.4434147 ... 384!8i8192
The drivers are probably like: "Which way do I go? Do I go forward towards the traffic signals, or do I turn left, but why the [bad word] is it like this?" :laugh:
vlad

Post by vlad »

That made me think of here.

You can either go straight ahead onto the A6010 or straight ahead onto the A5145 - just not from the same lane.
"If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed." - Sylvia Plath
UKboy

Post by UKboy »

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.30835 ... 312!8i6656

Ok this is actually pointless, why do you need traffic lights here, is this a botch?
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

UKboy wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 16:41 https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.30835 ... 312!8i6656

Ok this is actually pointless, why do you need traffic lights here, is this a botch?
There's a risk that someone might stop for the red signal in error when using the filter lane, but you don't need a full three lamp head for it, an always-on green arrow would do the trick.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
UKboy

Post by UKboy »

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.45150 ... 384!8i8192 Ok I do not know what happened to the green light. I count this a a small botch as a slightly blind person might not think it is working, so the light would need replacing. :)
traffic-light-man

UKboy wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 14:08 https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.45150 ... 384!8i8192 Ok I do not know what happened to the green light. I count this a a small botch as a slightly blind person might not think it is working, so the light would need replacing. :)
For a recently refurbished site, that arrangement doesn't seem to do much in the way of assisting footway users!
Simon
ReissOmari

Post by ReissOmari »

I could probably post the whole of Tyburn Road, Birmingham in this thread :laugh: but this junction in particular may just take the crown. As you can see, all the traffic signals have ahead arrows (there are no mandatory blue arrows however) but right turns are permitted to turn right from Tyburn Road into Bromford Lane.

Even the arrows on the road only show ahead only, but moving further back to the junction direction sign, you can see it has the destinations for a right turn, what is going on!
ReissOmari..
traffic-light-man

ReissOmari wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 15:48 I could probably post the whole of Tyburn Road, Birmingham in this thread :laugh: but this junction in particular may just take the crown. As you can see, all the traffic signals have ahead arrows (there are no mandatory blue arrows however) but right turns are permitted to turn right from Tyburn Road into Bromford Lane.

Even the arrows on the road only show ahead only, but moving further back to the junction direction sign, you can see it has the destinations for a right turn, what is going on!
Well, they're not! :P

I'd say the direction signs are a bodge, but if they actually wanted to prohibit right turns, I'd expect more of an effort to be made at the junction itself with regards to banned turn signage.
Simon
jervi

Post by jervi »

ReissOmari wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 15:48 I could probably post the whole of Tyburn Road, Birmingham in this thread :laugh: but this junction in particular may just take the crown. As you can see, all the traffic signals have ahead arrows (there are no mandatory blue arrows however) but right turns are permitted to turn right from Tyburn Road into Bromford Lane.

In practice I wouldn't do I right turn, however by no means would it be illegal to do so. Also Whats with Lane 1 being segregated at lights and having a green surface?
Also don't see the need to ban u-turns here either https://www.google.com/maps/@52.5093231 ... 312!8i6656
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

jervi wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 17:31 ...
Also Whats with Lane 1 being segregated at lights and having a green surface?
Used to be a bus lane.
Make poetry history.

Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
ReissOmari

Post by ReissOmari »

traffic-light-man wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 16:53

I'd say the direction signs are a bodge, but if they actually wanted to prohibit right turns, I'd expect more of an effort to be made at the junction itself with regards to banned turn signage.
That would make sense to be honest, I've just gone back to GSV because I realised the attached link was from a few years ago, the signal head was replaced recently and now has a full green ball, where as the 2nd head still has the green arrow!
jervi wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 17:31

In practice I wouldn't do I right turn, however by no means would it be illegal to do so. Also Whats with Lane 1 being segregated at lights and having a green surface?
Also don't see the need to ban u-turns here either https://www.google.com/maps/@52.5093231 ... 312!8i6656
It used to be a bus lane but was taken out of action around a decade ago! However, they never removed the bus lane traffic lights, just decided to time them along with the main lights, so you have lanes unexpectedly merging into each other along the road from the A38(M) Aston Expressway up to Kingsbury Road. :confused: This has to be the worst offender though!
ReissOmari..
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

ReissOmari wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 19:07
traffic-light-man wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 16:53

That would make sense to be honest, I've just gone back to GSV because I realised the attached link was from a few years ago, the signal head was replaced recently and now has a full green ball, where as the 2nd head still has the green arrow!

It used to be a bus lane but was taken out of action around a decade ago! However, they never removed the bus lane traffic lights, just decided to time them along with the main lights, so you have lanes unexpectedly merging into each other along the road from the A38(M) Aston Expressway up to Kingsbury Road. :confused: This has to be the worst offender though!
Correct, the A38 Tyburn Road/Kingsbury Road bus lane was decommissioned, though the road markings still remain in most places. However, if you're heading eastbound on Tyburn Road and continue straight ahead at the Norton junction (named after a defunct pub) onto Eachelhurst Road (rather than taking the right turn onto Kingsbury Road to continue on A38), the bus lane still applies. This has caught quite a few people out.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
traffic-light-man

In practice I wouldn't do I right turn, however by no means would it be illegal to do so...
Except by virtue of the green arrows, which prohibit a right turn or U-turn.
Simon
Bfivethousand

Post by Bfivethousand »

I think it's fair to call these, these and this a botch. The regeneration work in the centre of Cirencester took place in Autumn 2016, yet in the summer of 2018 there were no less than SIX signal head installations still in place at the Market Place junction. And may still be for all I know...?

It's Cirencester though. Maybe they're listed? :laugh:
16 Sodium atoms walk into a bar
followed immediately by Batman
ReissOmari

Post by ReissOmari »

Take a look at this one here! https://goo.gl/maps/NP9SgzQb8R8RLS7z6

The ahead arrow is always on, however, the placement is questionable! It has been changed now so the ahead arrow is at the bottom, but how did that pass through :laugh:

And here is how it looks with both arrows on https://goo.gl/maps/j5JXAPj7pX7UM2x88
ReissOmari..
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

I'm sure I remember seeing similar in Blackpool, back in the early 90s.
sydneynick

Post by sydneynick »

Possibly interesting is that NSW would implement this quite differently, using four heads. There would be a stack of 3 with red, amber and green right-turn arrows, and the fourth head would be to the left of the green right arrow and would always show a green ahead arrow.
I can always tell if politicians are lying. Their lips move.