Botched Traffic Signals

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

L.J.D

Re: Botched Traffic Signals

Post by L.J.D »

Another botch here it should be a green ball not an arrow. Also why does it only have one signal head. As I've said before it's amazing how many councils in the UK mess up the bus exemption signals surely there's a better sollution.
Andrew F

Post by Andrew F »

Hi,
My first post here, picture below of traffic lights in Ewell, Surrey. I've never seen this before, but the lights are half switched off. There's three junctions changing in time together. One road is closed (affecting two of the sets), and the lights are switched off on the roads which are open but where the traffic no longer needs to stop. The side road lights are still switched on, even though they are facing the roads which are closed. One set is alternating green to red, the other largely stuck on green but changes occasionally, with the pedestrian lights stuck on red, one set of buttons lit with wait, the other won't light up. I can't see why they didn't shut the two sets off entirely, and it seems a very unusual arrangement, and not ideal as I have seen a car that maybe ignored the closed road signs but assumed waiting for a green light before turning around in the middle of the junction would be ok, unaware that the opposing traffic was faced with switched off lights with out of order signs on them.
Andrew

https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/ind ... fic_lights
pjr10th

Post by pjr10th »

Nathan_A_RF wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 19:01 I've driven past this junction so many times yet only today I noticed these traffic lights have a straight filter arrow even though two of the three lanes here turn right. The light at the opposite side of the junction is plain green.
I hate to dredge up an old comment, but my god I hate everything about that junction:

The almost complete lack of pedestrian facilities - and those that do exist are clearly designed to inconvenience motorists to the least extent possible.

Furthermore, what is going on with the lanes on the A259 eastbound? Three lanes - two ahead and one going right. However, it's really unclear whether to access the right lane at the second junction you should go into lane three immediately or stay in lane two and then lane 3 is yours to go into after the first junction. This just seems a classic example of the UK's ability to design junctions badly.
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

The UK approach to marking/warning of lane assignment at junctions too often whittles down to "get familiar with the area".
Skipsy

Post by Skipsy »

Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Skipsy wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 21:31 Ugh
Comes complete with a botched direction sign on the right too. What a mess.
Skipsy

Post by Skipsy »

Chris5156 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 00:29
Comes complete with a botched direction sign on the right too. What a mess.
That white text :roll:
MotorwayGuy

Post by MotorwayGuy »

If you go back to 2008, you can see the original Mellors also had green arrows but not the blue roundels. Why not just use a green ball? Both lanes can go ahead so it's unlikely that the left arrow lights independently.
MotorwayGuy

Post by MotorwayGuy »

These have had the borders blacked out within the past few years for some reason:
https://www.google.com/maps/@51.3423112 ... 384!8i8192
L.J.D

Post by L.J.D »

MotorwayGuy wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 20:41 These have had the borders blacked out within the past few years for some reason:
I think the tape that's usually applied has fallen off them it's happened to a few around here and seeing how the UK is famous for poor signal board maintenance they'll probly just have been left like that.

That installation looks awful anyway the signals on the main road are poorly sighted if you ask me no wonder they've had red light incidents there judging by the cameras.
ReissOmari

Post by ReissOmari »

L.J.D wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 08:53
MotorwayGuy wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 20:41 These have had the borders blacked out within the past few years for some reason:
I think the tape that's usually applied has fallen off them it's happened to a few around here and seeing how the UK is famous for poor signal board maintenance they'll probly just have been left like that.

That installation looks awful anyway the signals on the main road are poorly sighted if you ask me no wonder they've had red light incidents there judging by the cameras.
If you got back on GSV, it appears the boards were blacked out when the cameras were installed.
ReissOmari..
traffic-light-man

Post by traffic-light-man »

ReissOmari wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:57
L.J.D wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 08:53

If you got back on GSV, it appears the boards were blacked out when the cameras were installed.
I'm inclined to agree, they look like they've actually been taped over rather than having had the reflective tape removed. Presumably the flash from the enforcement camera was reflecting off the borders, though I'm not sure I've seen that issue before.
Simon
L.J.D

Post by L.J.D »

Oh I was thinking this and this had happened to them as its happened to alot of Telent heads around West Yorkshire.
MotorwayGuy

Post by MotorwayGuy »

It's a very dangerous junction (the whole road has one of the highest accident rates in the country apparently), in fact I caught one on my mum's dashcam:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnTTBPeXqMQ

It definitely seems as though the borders have been deliberately blacked out as only the ones facing both cameras are like it.
Ruperts Trooper

Post by Ruperts Trooper »

MotorwayGuy wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 13:28 It's a very dangerous junction (the whole road has one of the highest accident rates in the country apparently), in fact I caught one on my mum's dashcam:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnTTBPeXqMQ

It definitely seems as though the borders have been deliberately blacked out as only the ones facing both cameras are like it.
When pulling out of the side road, the lights weren't visible - so almost inevitable that some drivers won't notice the lights and drive straight through.
Lifelong motorhead
L.J.D

Post by L.J.D »

Yeh it definitely needs better situated heads that's why I said the installation is awful further up thread. I'd say it could do with a few more heads adding in and the existing ones better positioned. On the other side the two heads are literally on the stop line so I bet you have to crane your neck to see if they've changed. Seems really silly really given how there's an island in the middle where they could have better positioned signals so space isn't an issue.
MotorwayGuy

Post by MotorwayGuy »

There's no pedestrian facilities either despite the urban location, it all needs renewing with modern equipment.
L.J.D

Post by L.J.D »

MotorwayGuy wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 16:19 There's no pedestrian facilities either despite the urban location, it all needs renewing with modern equipment.
It's like the total opposite of the other thread where places have too many signals. Which is annoying given you've got installations like this. My guess is they replaced it like for like with the Mellor installation that was there before. Because alot of them had no crossing facilities at cross roads like those back in the day. It just looks dangerous and lazily designed.
jnty

Post by jnty »

Green ball when right turn signal is red.

Doubt there's any particular safety risk here particularly given it's positioned to the left, but I do wonder if it renders a red on the right turn signal unenforceable. I wonder if it's trying to make up for the lack of a left turn filter arrow anywhere?
L.J.D

Post by L.J.D »

Saw these the other day and thought they looked botched displaying a straight on arrow. The mellors there before displayed a left arrow.