Council and private signs from pre-Worboys era

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

DavidNW9

Council and private signs from pre-Worboys era

Post by DavidNW9 »

Despite looking identical to pre-Worboys signs, the council issues were to smaller buildings, local warnings etc, so although that was the font and design of the era anything either with a council motto on it, or clearly not quite a national sign was a council issue but still a worthy set to collect. I'll even suggest a new wiki for old council signs as they are unique and are still so many around (as they weren't banned by Worboys) I can add a pile myself.

Meanwhile here's one I found today which would have made the PW set had it not had the council/forest motto stuck on top, although anyone passing would probably already know where they were.

Someone's posted the set in the park in Staines already, interesting as like this one was also red, and here is a nearby one in Egham. Like many council signs it chose different colouring, although some in Devon are blue but they just painted the normal signs there when they were made.

Not a council sign but private issue for a hospital in Merton, but the usual format including the familiar arrow.

And finally a typical council direction, many had the official arrowhead but these chose their own in what was Paddington.

Last edited by DavidNW9 on Wed Aug 30, 2023 15:58, edited 4 times in total.
DavidNW9

Re: Council and private signs from pre-Worboys era

Post by DavidNW9 »

And here's some I took earlier

The lower sign is older as LB Enfield is only around since 1967

Klepsydra

Post by Klepsydra »

Would this fit the bill?
"I went to a planet without bilateral symmetry and all I got was this lousy F-shirt."
Richard Walker

Post by Richard Walker »

Ash Hall Residential Home of the A52 in Ash Bank, near Stoke on Trent has a pre-Worboys speed limit sign.
I will not sing the chain-gang song, I will not walk the line.
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

The Finchley sign is a local issue but is technically a fingerpost by design so would come under that umbrella whatever it points to. There's also a PW dogs must be on lead under it which was a national issue from what I can see as it was the same across the country, but not sure if it's in the official list.
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

Here's one I passed today in St Albans, with the council logo next to it, and the same on the other side as well.

ImageFire sign2 by David Howard, on Flickr
Last edited by DavidNW9 on Wed Aug 30, 2023 15:59, edited 1 time in total.
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

Good thing I got the signs on The Ridgeway, they've all gone now when I passed there today and two new road names only in their place.

Here's one more on the Hallfield estate in Paddington. I had to go at night as it was in the congestion charge zone, but now thank goodness is no longer.

DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

I thought there were more, standard Hammersmith council issue (before it merged with Fulham in 1965).

DavidBrown

Post by DavidBrown »

Love that Fire and Ambulance sign. Presumably at an extrance to a Fire and Ambulance station? Seems odd that, even back then, they would use a little pole mounted sign like that to mark its location.
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

Yes, it's a fire/ambulance station, and have seen the modern version recently I think on the Rickmansworth ring road which is identical besides the font. Although they are council issued the design mirrored the Worboys changes at some point in time, and also wondered why it appeared to be a plastic box type sign which are for internal lighting to show through (anyone from Croydon will know these well) although it's lit from above.

Here's another beauty I just came across in the archives, besides being incorporated into a road name so escapes national status, does anyone know why this wouldn't have qualified even if the directions had been on a separate panel? (answers will follow in a day or two if not worked out). And another question is which category in the gallery does this belong as there isn't one for street names (probably a good thing...) so presumably directions?

Last edited by DavidNW9 on Mon Aug 07, 2023 00:54, edited 1 time in total.
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

This is clearly an antique survivor, painted using a stencil and still just about legible despite the rust threatening to destroy the whole thing. It would have been privately made by the owners of the allotment and as a result is still there and just about doing its job as the track is still in use today there.

ImageRay Rd sign by David Howard, on Flickr
Last edited by DavidNW9 on Mon Aug 07, 2023 00:54, edited 1 time in total.
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

Two beauties today, I am guessing Enfield council existed when it was still part of Middlesex county, as these are the only ones I know like this and all in Enfield. I've got the right hand arrow and now the left, plus an incredibly rare path panel with a destination in the pre-Worboys style.

It's a shame I don't think these could qualify as proper PW signs as they'd be nice additions, but very nice nonetheless.
The beware cattle sign I found is a relic as I was on Epping forest last week and all the others are modern versions with Transport font so pretty lucky the one I found was still there.
Last edited by DavidNW9 on Mon Aug 07, 2023 00:56, edited 1 time in total.
ScottB5411

Post by ScottB5411 »

IIRC there is a good one at the entrance to a council car park opposite the college in the centre of Wigan
How about some more beans Mr. Taggart?
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

ScottB5411 wrote:IIRC there is a good one at the entrance to a council car park opposite the college in the centre of Wigan
I assume you mean this, which I know of very well! Unfortunately isn't Pre-Warboys as its too young to be so, plus its just printed onto a wooden board!

Mind you, it won't be there much longer as that isn't a council building anymore - they moved out late last year.
Voie Rapide / Mótarbhealaí
Updated 1 November 2019!
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

Yes, I don't think signs actually relating directly to council or public buildings quite fit the bill, old or new ;)

The criterion is where PW signs have been copied in the same style but with different wording or format, such as details of private road restrictions or directions to buildings with terminal arrows the wrong shape or missing altogether as in the examples above, but all sharing the correct font.

I have been told the one for keeping the garage exit clear on the query thread may be privately made now but either officially or unofficially accepted by the council being on a public road. It still looks like new around 50 years later and will in another 50 years if painted. Not like the current lot.
ScottB5411

Post by ScottB5411 »

Never stopped to have a good look at it, always driving past in my coach!
How about some more beans Mr. Taggart?
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

Here's a lovely old sign in Chessington, pre 1953 font and original rusted striped pole. These are the only ones possibly part of the national system (a few variations exist, meaning no one can be sure) mainly as one was found around Bristol with a red circle on top which was only issued for national signs. This has no bracket so never had one.

Imagecycling chessington by David Howard, on Flickr
Last edited by DavidNW9 on Mon Aug 07, 2023 00:56, edited 1 time in total.
rileyrob

Post by rileyrob »

I found this in (or near) the Market Place in Wells last week. I'm guessing it belongs here.
old-sign-wells.jpg
Rob.
My mission is to travel every road and visit every town, village and hamlet in the British Isles.
I don't like thinking about how badly I am doing.
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

"Leading to" signs are bog-standard on separate panels for other roads, but rarely do you see them to the sort of places which are more often on flag signs. A nice arrow would have helped, but it's almost a direction sign than a street name anyhow.

Imageleading to by David Howard, on Flickr
Last edited by DavidNW9 on Mon Aug 07, 2023 00:57, edited 1 time in total.
DunsBus

Post by DunsBus »

There's this old RAC sign on the A698 near Cornhill-on-Tweed. Still in-situ as of last Friday.
"We don't serve black coffee. We serve white coffee without milk."