Manky Signs

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Rambo

Re: Manky Signs

Post by Rambo »

jnty wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 16:40
Rambo wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 20:50 Not being so manky but i've put these here for their obsolescence. These merging signs still remain along the A5139 slip road heading towards the M53.
This one persists in Fareham: https://goo.gl/maps/x93UUAUCWgKtRBBr6 and some more in Edinburgh: https://goo.gl/maps/P9D76vzTYtjrJsj6A

In my view both usages are incorrect! But perhaps this was appropriate at the time as they seem to be of a similar vintage.
Saw another one the other day at Eccles with the one alongside it being the newer version.
Attachments
eccles.jpg
haymansafc

Post by haymansafc »

Rambo wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 19:45 Hidden in the trees outside the entrance to Ellesmere Port docks.
I used to work down there...! Not on the docks, but on that road until 2010. There is an explination as to why so many did survive down there for such a long time... Portside North, certainly until the time I left my previous job, was a privately owned road. I think it was all part of the Manchester Ship Canal Company. I remember this because only the first few lamp posts down there (after exiting Merseyton Road/A5032) actually worked. A few businesses, including the one I worked for, complaned about this over a period of a good couple of years. The Council didn't take responsibility and told us to contact MSC. MSC denied knowledge of ownership and passed us back to the council... Eventually the lanterns were replaced in the final couple of years I worked down there. As a result of ownership confusion, a lot of old, very weather worn and corroded signs used to exist down there too - including at where the train line crosses the road twice - which in itself was abandonned until the mid 00's. They've long since been replaced though.

I'm also aware of this survivor on Merseyton Road...

Docks.png
Docks.png (108.96 KiB) Viewed 2190 times

A very sun-bleached 40mph sign is also still hanging on, at the north side of Vauxhall Motors just after you've left the M53 too.

40.png
40.png (51.98 KiB) Viewed 2190 times
The journey is never over until the arrival.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

There's some really ancient stuff knocking around Ellesmere Port if you know where to look of course.

This looked fairly OK in 2009, it's trashed now: https://goo.gl/maps/TZ1Ydp3NSycp5mgb6
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Rambo

Post by Rambo »

Bryn666 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 17:01 There's some really ancient stuff knocking around Ellesmere Port if you know where to look of course.

This looked fairly OK in 2009, it's trashed now: https://goo.gl/maps/TZ1Ydp3NSycp5mgb6
I'm not sure if this is also private? or maybe past those signs it could be. Yes it's all gone to rack and ruin down there. I'm surprised the railway hasn't been lifted either.
Rambo

Post by Rambo »

haymansafc wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 16:38
Rambo wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 19:45 Hidden in the trees outside the entrance to Ellesmere Port docks.
I used to work down there...! Not on the docks, but on that road until 2010. There is an explination as to why so many did survive down there for such a long time... Portside North, certainly until the time I left my previous job, was a privately owned road. I think it was all part of the Manchester Ship Canal Company. I remember this because only the first few lamp posts down there (after exiting Merseyton Road/A5032) actually worked. A few businesses, including the one I worked for, complaned about this over a period of a good couple of years. The Council didn't take responsibility and told us to contact MSC. MSC denied knowledge of ownership and passed us back to the council... Eventually the lanterns were replaced in the final couple of years I worked down there. As a result of ownership confusion, a lot of old, very weather worn and corroded signs used to exist down there too - including at where the train line crosses the road twice - which in itself was abandonned until the mid 00's. They've long since been replaced though.

I'm also aware of this survivor on Merseyton Road...

Docks.png

A very sun-bleached 40mph sign is also still hanging on, at the north side of Vauxhall Motors just after you've left the M53 too.

40.png
That's interesting. I'd captured the 'docks' sign last year as this seems to be an older version. 'Portside North' appears to be newer apart from the grime. I had to climb through a bush to photograph it! I noticed looking in the other direction towards the M53 junction there are 3 tall posts in the trees, possibly concrete but minus any sign which i'm guessing was an original ADS for the motorway junction. It must have fell down pre 2009 as GSV doesn't capture it.
haymansafc

Post by haymansafc »

Rambo wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 17:16 That's interesting. I'd captured the 'docks' sign last year as this seems to be an older version. 'Portside North' appears to be newer apart from the grime. I had to climb through a bush to photograph it! I noticed looking in the other direction towards the M53 junction there are 3 tall posts in the trees, possibly concrete but minus any sign which i'm guessing was an original ADS for the motorway junction. It must have fell down pre 2009 as GSV doesn't capture it.
Generally speaking, that 'island' of trees and shrubbery to the north east corner of Junction 8 isn't maintained very well. That was the case way back in 2001 when I started working on Portside North, just around the corner and down the embankment from there. It's only when you approach the roundabout, is all the foliage cut back away from the kerbside.

I know the posts you're talking about! No, they're not concrete but they're rusted enough to give that impression! It was indeed an ADS. When I first started working down there, it was still the original sign for the M531, with the '1' having long since been patched over in both directions. It was half-overgrown 20 years ago. It was gone by around 2006/7, never replaced but the posts remain there to this day. About the best Google Streetview shot I can get of them is this. It was around the same time the last surviving 'M531' signs at Junction 8 which have been pictured here on SABRE in it's early days in this incarnation were confined to the history books.

I recall Poole Hall Industrial Estate, off junction 7, had at least blue bordered direction signs that I clearly remember but again these were removed around 2006/7 time, just predating streetview sadly.

This ancient oddity survives on Hope Farm Road which I pass most mornings... I remember it from my childhood. What makes it even more of an unusual survivor is that the lamp post it's on only dates back to around 2010 - the sign was simply reattached.
HopeFarm.png
HopeFarm.png (65.14 KiB) Viewed 2149 times

Then there's this, which you'll find just off the A5117 D2 section at Elton:
A5117.png
A5117.png (110.14 KiB) Viewed 2149 times

A matter of yards away from that you'll come across this blue bordered classic:
4bc14bac-8ea6-49d9-a254-a42459dfcc47.png
4bc14bac-8ea6-49d9-a254-a42459dfcc47.png (148.11 KiB) Viewed 2149 times

Poole Lane has this, but we're now onto Stanlow Oil Refinery territory (simply referred to as 'Shell', locally). I'm not entirely sure if this is private land or not, but it's another sign that's been there for as long as I can remember.
The journey is never over until the arrival.
Chris56000

Post by Chris56000 »

Hi!

Telford and Wrekin Council have finally, only 7½ years after I went into Southwater House in person to grumble about it, finally replaced that huge ancient green monster patched goodness–knows how many times, on concrete posts (but no death prongs tho!) approaching Ketley Interchange s/b on the A5223 at M54 J6 :–

A5223
https://maps.app.goo.gl/Xvia7ftprtXXbAMD7

. . .and apart from the junction numbers on the blue Motorway Panels being omitted, there's nothing wrong with it!

(Admittedly the junction numbers are optional tho', Lancashire, Worcestershire, Kent, Cambridgeshire, Telford & Wrekin, amongst others, customarily don't use them on replacement ADS for motorway junctions on all–purpose roads)

T and W Council have replaced the signage for the M54/A5 at Clubbley Interchange (J7) as well, and here they are perfect Guildford Rules replacements – this junction wasn't so much a case of "Manky Signs", more like "Gone Signs!" – the Wrekin/Little Wenlock side of J7 on the unclassified road had no sign for at least seven years – all the time I lived in Oakengates and went to Much Wenlock via this junction there was only one forlorn leaning–over post where the original sign had been!

Chris Williams
Rambo

Post by Rambo »

haymansafc wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 17:56
Rambo wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 17:16 That's interesting. I'd captured the 'docks' sign last year as this seems to be an older version. 'Portside North' appears to be newer apart from the grime. I had to climb through a bush to photograph it! I noticed looking in the other direction towards the M53 junction there are 3 tall posts in the trees, possibly concrete but minus any sign which i'm guessing was an original ADS for the motorway junction. It must have fell down pre 2009 as GSV doesn't capture it.
Generally speaking, that 'island' of trees and shrubbery to the north east corner of Junction 8 isn't maintained very well. That was the case way back in 2001 when I started working on Portside North, just around the corner and down the embankment from there. It's only when you approach the roundabout, is all the foliage cut back away from the kerbside.

I know the posts you're talking about! No, they're not concrete but they're rusted enough to give that impression! It was indeed an ADS. When I first started working down there, it was still the original sign for the M531, with the '1' having long since been patched over in both directions. It was half-overgrown 20 years ago. It was gone by around 2006/7, never replaced but the posts remain there to this day. About the best Google Streetview shot I can get of them is this. It was around the same time the last surviving 'M531' signs at Junction 8 which have been pictured here on SABRE in it's early days in this incarnation were confined to the history books.

I recall Poole Hall Industrial Estate, off junction 7, had at least blue bordered direction signs that I clearly remember but again these were removed around 2006/7 time, just predating streetview sadly.

This ancient oddity survives on Hope Farm Road which I pass most mornings... I remember it from my childhood. What makes it even more of an unusual survivor is that the lamp post it's on only dates back to around 2010 - the sign was simply reattached.

HopeFarm.png

Then there's this, which you'll find just off the A5117 D2 section at Elton:

A5117.png

A matter of yards away from that you'll come across this blue bordered classic:

4bc14bac-8ea6-49d9-a254-a42459dfcc47.png

Poole Lane has this, but we're now onto Stanlow Oil Refinery territory (simply referred to as 'Shell', locally). I'm not entirely sure if this is private land or not, but it's another sign that's been there for as long as I can remember.
That's a strange double dead end road sign! I think that Chester Zoo sign had blew down when i passed the other day.
Rambo

Post by Rambo »

A couple recently captured along the A550 at Penyffordd. I wonder how long these will last as those just down the road at the junction with the A5104 were brand new with Lattix posts.
Attachments
IMG_9833.JPG
IMG_9835.JPG
TS

Post by TS »

This sign isn't too manky but I think it's quite an old symbol for a bicycle. It's on the railway bridge of Farnborough Road, immediately alongside Farnborough Main railway station.
20220128_193745.jpg
Kevin Roads

Post by Kevin Roads »

This is a bit battered, slightly manky and certainly looks to have some age:
20220201_110859.jpg
It could possibly also qualify for the Rare Roadsigns thread as I don't think that there are many of these signs left that purely warn of approaching a hospital. I don't recall seeing any new examples of this sign.

I'm sure that the intention is/was to be aware of ambulances and for ambulance crews to switch off their sirens so as not to cause unnecessary noise. It seems that modern hospital signs are just for directions.
Rambo

Post by Rambo »

Kevin Roads wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:33 This is a bit battered, slightly manky and certainly looks to have some age:

20220201_110859.jpg

It could possibly also qualify for the Rare Roadsigns thread as I don't think that there are many of these signs left that purely warn of approaching a hospital. I don't recall seeing any new examples of this sign.

I'm sure that the intention is/was to be aware of ambulances and for ambulance crews to switch off their sirens so as not to cause unnecessary noise. It seems that modern hospital signs are just for directions.
There is one near me along with a blue bordered direction sign just before it with the words 'General Hospital (Accident Unit)'. Not sure if they're rare or not but not something i have noticed much when driving.
Kevin Roads

Post by Kevin Roads »

Another battered sign for a railway-station; lots of these seem to make the grade for this thread:
20220203_124437.jpg
Kevin Roads

Post by Kevin Roads »

One that I've been meaning to get for a while:
20220204_115541.jpg
Kevin Roads

Post by Kevin Roads »

This one is showing the result of being exposed to the weather:
20220204_124723.jpg
Kevin Roads

Post by Kevin Roads »

Old:
20220204_133020.jpg
Rambo

Post by Rambo »

Kevin Roads wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:17 One that I've been meaning to get for a while:

20220204_115541.jpg
Nice one. I've passed that Nebo sign many times on the way to mid Wales and it seems the council have never given it a clean.

A recent one from me. Along the B5429. It looks as if somebody has tried to spray out the English spelling.
Attachments
IMG_0061.JPG
Rambo

Post by Rambo »

More Wirral classics
Attachments
IMG_0076.JPG
Kevin Roads

Post by Kevin Roads »

Elderly signs for elderly people:
20220209_141918.jpg
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

TS wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 21:08 This sign isn't too manky but I think it's quite an old symbol for a bicycle. It's on the railway bridge of Farnborough Road, immediately alongside Farnborough Main railway station.
20220128_193745.jpg
That's just very botched! Great find.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck