Manky Signs

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Chris Bertram

Re: Manky Signs

Post by Chris Bertram »

jervi wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 15:28
Chris Bertram wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 21:27
Truvelo wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 21:20 Chris - that link isn't working. It sticks on Malt House Lane and goes blank.
Darnit, the perils of trying to do a link to streetview from a mobile. I'll edit from my laptop tomorrow. Or if you want to try, it's at that point on the lane, looking towards the lakes.
I presume they are like this?
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.03621 ... 312!8i6656
Yes, like those. Thanks.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Rambo

Post by Rambo »

I drove past this yesterday https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.47662 ... 384!8i8192 and wandered what it was.

Thinking it would be nothing spectacular i had a look at GSV out of curiousity and find it is actually this https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.47661 ... 312!8i6656
It looks like it has been spun the wrong way for about 5 years according to GSV. I am surprised by it somewhat as all the signage in the area is very modern and up to date. Methinks i need to go back with the camera before it disappears.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Chris Bertram wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 21:19 These are looking a bit past their best. In fact I believe they should have been removed years ago. They are "no waiting" roundels at the beginning of a restriction, and they were once commonplace, but not needed for a long time.
These are the signs I meant to share. They're a bit hard to see due to the bright light, but if you zoom in you can see what they are.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

traffic-light-man

Post by traffic-light-man »

I forgotten I'd taken a picture of this one the other day. I assume it was erected by the Docks & Harbour Board, rather than the local authority, but the roads are public.
Attachments
IMG_20200609_202318 copy.jpg
Simon
SteelCamel

Post by SteelCamel »

Rambo wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:37 I notice that driving along the A580 east Lancs road there are a couple of remaining blue bordered signs that have escaped upgrade at Astley. This being on the westbound carriageway.
There's more than a couple in Inverness. And then there's this - a blue-bordered sign to such local destinations as Ullapool, Fort William and Wick!

But if you want manky signs, this is hard to beat. The blue border is perhaps the least of the problems.
Rambo

Post by Rambo »

SteelCamel wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 20:24
Rambo wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:37 I notice that driving along the A580 east Lancs road there are a couple of remaining blue bordered signs that have escaped upgrade at Astley. This being on the westbound carriageway.
There's more than a couple in Inverness. And then there's this - a blue-bordered sign to such local destinations as Ullapool, Fort William and Wick!

But if you want manky signs, this is hard to beat. The blue border is perhaps the least of the problems.
The second one looks like an older fat blue bordered sign which are certainly becoming rare.

In terms of the A580 i was just surprised to see them as the whole route has pretty much up to date signage apart from this junction.

It's odd isn't it that some places hang on to their blue bordered signs yet others don't. Where i live i would hazard a guess that at least half of the town still has these and there are still a large number of them. If blue bordered local signs came back into fashion one day it wouldn't cost my council much to upgrade the signs wholesale there are so many of them left!
Also quite a few i've noted locally are in very good condition, almost new looking in some cases. Then again there are also a few relics. By some form of mircale, has survived the recent A574 Birchwood way upgrade.
Attachments
birchwood_a574_1.JPG
Last edited by Rambo on Mon Jun 15, 2020 21:31, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Ah, the "home-made" look. Touching, isn't it?

Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

JIMINY JILLIKERS. :shock:
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Rambo

Post by Rambo »

traffic-light-man wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 16:49 I forgotten I'd taken a picture of this one the other day. I assume it was erected by the Docks & Harbour Board, rather than the local authority, but the roads are public.
I've been past there dozens of times and never noticed that!
Burns

Post by Burns »

SteelCamel wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 20:24 But if you want manky signs, this is hard to beat. The blue border is perhaps the least of the problems.
I drove past that one a while ago but I was with friends so I didn't stop. If you go down that road, it won't be long before you bump into this. I need to head up that way by myself so I can photograph them.
Rambo

Post by Rambo »

Todays Manky sign. although i've seen worse. You can see the A557 is blocked here due to the old Runcorn - Widnes bridge being shut. I wonder if the signage at this junction will be replaced before the bridge reopens.
Attachments
picowfarmrd_a557_1.JPG
Skipsy

Post by Skipsy »

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.40816 ... 312!8i6656
This sign in 2008 was facing away from where it should be which is to people driving southbound on Grand Drive, but the sign was then even further bended around and not been visible for about 8 - 11 years unless you're a pedestrian:
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.40816 ... 384!8i8192
(Also look at that old yellow sign as well)
Rambo

Post by Rambo »

Blimey.. this took me by surprise. A57 Knotty Ash, Liverpool. This area along with nearby Broad Green is a time warp for anyone who likes early Worboys signs.
Attachments
IMG_2612.JPG
traffic-light-man

Fantastic chippy just after that sign :P

The previous junction had signs of the same era, along with some thick blue borders, but they were sadly removed a few years back when the new Alder Hey was opened.

I need to get some good photos of the ones around The Rocket and Rocky Lane before they all go.
Simon
Rambo

Post by Rambo »

traffic-light-man wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 01:01 Fantastic chippy just after that sign :P

The previous junction had signs of the same era, along with some thick blue borders, but they were sadly removed a few years back when the new Alder Hey was opened.

I need to get some good photos of the ones around The Rocket and Rocky Lane before they all go.
ill put on a more later. really surprised some of these haven’t been replaced especially the ones on Queens drive.
traffic-light-man

Rambo wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 07:28ill put on a more later. really surprised some of these haven’t been replaced especially the ones on Queens drive.
Indeed. I'm often mentioning it, but my favourite is the blue bordered 'wonky sticks' sign on the Southbound A5058 Queens Drive, approaching The Rocket.

Given LCC went on a direction sign replacement/installation spree in the 2000s, there are some great survivors still knocking about.
Simon
Rambo

Post by Rambo »

traffic-light-man wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:24
Rambo wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 07:28ill put on a more later. really surprised some of these haven’t been replaced especially the ones on Queens drive.
Indeed. I'm often mentioning it, but my favourite is the blue bordered 'wonky sticks' sign on the Southbound A5058 Queens Drive, approaching The Rocket.

Given LCC went on a direction sign replacement/installation spree in the 2000s, there are some great survivors still knocking about.
Yeah very unusual that one. And it's become extra grubby over the years being underneath an overhanging tree. Although looking at the photo on Bryns twitter feed. It appears at some point some poor soul has had the job of cleaning it.
I'm surprised they didn't get replaced during the capital of culture period when ££ must have been easier to find for stuff like this. especially a major exit road from the city.

Here's a couple more. The city centre sign i had never noticed before. It is a little hidden under a tree and almost looks black until you get up to it but other than that is in good nick.
Note that some team in the area think they are already champions :laugh:
Attachments
IMG_2604.JPG
IMG_2618.JPG
crazyknightsfan

Post by crazyknightsfan »

That's a real funky green on the top photo - loving these!
drm567

Post by drm567 »

This one on the A411 is certainly manky, but is it also bodged or just an old design?

BusheyRBTsign.jpg
BusheyRBTsign.jpg (31.12 KiB) Viewed 1556 times
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

This is definitely manky and it's not obvious what the point of it is.