Manky Signs

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Chris Bertram

Re: Manky Signs

Post by Chris Bertram »

Chris5156 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 08:19
Kevin Roads wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 21:35 A couple more candidates seen today in Montgomery:

Internally-illuminated Give Way https://maps.app.goo.gl/xq6McxFmCQNn9nWZ7

And another https://maps.app.goo.gl/rMdx751ng3mnJGus6
Nothing manky about those, they look pretty clean and tidy to me!
Wouldn't be legal as new installations, of course.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Rambo

Post by Rambo »

The give way signs certainly look long in the tooth so i'd say they qualify for this thread.
Kevin Roads

Post by Kevin Roads »

Nothing manky about those, they look pretty clean and tidy to me!
Wouldn't be legal as new installations, of course.
Thanks, Chris Bertram, I was fairly sure that internally-illuminated signs are no longer fitted as new (plus the one in my first link looks a slightly older design to me, not quite sure) although I am not as au fait with sign regulations as some of the Sabristi.

I posted them as the thread seems to include obsolete - albeit post-Worboys - signs, even if they don't have a high level of mankiness. Is it worth, as has been suggested before, changing the thread title to 'Manky or obsolete signs' or similar?
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Kevin Roads wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:02 Thanks, Chris Bertram, I was fairly sure that internally-illuminated signs are no longer fitted as new (plus the one in my first link looks a slightly older design to me, not quite sure) although I am not as au fait with sign regulations as some of the Sabristi.

I posted them as the thread seems to include obsolete - albeit post-Worboys - signs, even if they don't have a high level of mankiness. Is it worth, as has been suggested before, changing the thread title to 'Manky or obsolete signs' or similar?
It wasn't the internal illumination that I was thinking of ...
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Kevin Roads

Post by Kevin Roads »

...well, I did say:

I am not as au fait with sign regulations as some of the Sabristi.

Is it:

the one in my first link looks a slightly older design to me
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Kevin Roads wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 14:26 ...well, I did say:

I am not as au fait with sign regulations as some of the Sabristi.

Is it:

the one in my first link looks a slightly older design to me
I think Chris B meant that they’re in Wales so any new installations would be bilingual.

Internally illuminated signs are definitely still installed - several London boroughs still favour them. They went right out of fashion but are making a comeback now the face can be reflectorised as well as backlit.
Kevin Roads

Post by Kevin Roads »

Thanks for the the reply, Chris5156. I completely forgot about the bilingual aspect.

Interesting that internally-illuminated signs are still being fitted, I assume that they are more expensive - both to buy and install, especially if a new power-supply is needed - than a solely retroreflective sign. All the ones that I have seen seem to have an aged look, I don't recall seeing any new ones.
Rambo

Post by Rambo »

Kevin Roads wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 15:16 Thanks for the the reply, Chris5156. I completely forgot about the bilingual aspect.

Interesting that internally-illuminated signs are still being fitted, I assume that they are more expensive - both to buy and install, especially if a new power-supply is needed - than a solely retroreflective sign. All the ones that I have seen seem to have an aged look, I don't recall seeing any new ones.
I've not seen many new installations myself apart from some around Birkenhead docks, Eastham and Bromborough on the A41. They must be in fasion with some authorities.
Rambo

Post by Rambo »

This one qualifies due to the right turn restriction nearly faded to nothing. Cop Lane, Preston.
Attachments
IMG_8805.JPG
Kevin Roads

Post by Kevin Roads »

Another old one seen recently https://maps.app.goo.gl/ycATT5bd2Wu1dS1x5
Kevin Roads

Post by Kevin Roads »

Have also passed these a few times this week https://maps.app.goo.gl/ehQVnCWEGnp7SPe86

Both must have a bit of age, being blue-bordered, and are a bit mankier in the flesh but the lower one must be one of the smallest signs I've seen.
Last edited by Kevin Roads on Wed Aug 04, 2021 22:20, edited 2 times in total.
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

This one's definitely past its best, apart from one digit which has either strangely been touched up or has somehow avoided the weathering the rest of the sign has received.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

the cheesecake man wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 22:16 This one's definitely past its best, apart from one digit which has either strangely been touched up or has somehow avoided the weathering the rest of the sign has received.
Also the Dewsbury flag is wrong as it leads to the A644, so should be in brackets. Not sure how that survived the sign replacement programme around Brighouse!
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Rambo

Post by Rambo »

James1978

Post by James1978 »

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.12934 ... authuser=0

Brown tourist sign almost turned green!
Rambo

Post by Rambo »

A few recently from North Wales

Firstly this one peeling at Colwyn Bay
IMG_9517 - Copy.JPG
Colwyn Bay
IMG_9526 - Copy.JPG
Hiding in a bush down a narrow lane near Llandudno Junction
IMG_9542 - Copy.JPG
Kevin Roads

Post by Kevin Roads »

Yes, loads of good ones (blue borders, especially) in and around Colwyn Bay and Llandudno J.

Do you upload your photos direct to the site from your phone or whatever, Rambo, or are they linked from a photo site such as Flickr?
Rambo

Post by Rambo »

Kevin Roads wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 05:48 Yes, loads of good ones (blue borders, especially) in and around Colwyn Bay and Llandudno J.

Do you upload your photos direct to the site from your phone or whatever, Rambo, or are they linked from a photo site such as Flickr?
They're taken with a DSLR and uploaded straight onto the forum. I dont have a flickr site or any other for signs in general (yet)
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Bu the High Force Hotel in County Durham
Make poetry history.

Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
TS

Post by TS »

The patching on this sign has deteriorated to such an extent that is difficult to make out what the correction was. I think the mileages for Kilninver and Oban were originally transposed, showing Kilninver 10 and Oban 3 - these were patched over and reversed but the Oban figure revised from 10 to 11. However, over time the patches have worn and the figures are superimposed and equally visible.

To add insult to injury, the road number B844 was also originally miswritten as B884 and has been similarly patched.
Kilninver.jpg
I took this picture on 11 August 2012, and the Google camera has been along since, in 2015: https://goo.gl/maps/uwcD4BFHTydrywpx5