Manky Signs

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Kevin Roads

Re: Manky Signs

Post by Kevin Roads »

[/quote]On a similar theme i have noticed loads of lane signs that are the wrong colour depending on the road. Even though the colour may not be of much importance to the average road user, it appears the sign designers aren't too bothered about this. It is very inconsistent but probably seen an non important unlike getting a ADS or flag sign right.
[/quote]

As with a lot of things, it's having the right people in the right positions who are aware of the standards and who ensure that they are met and maintained. Yes, you could say that it doesn't make much difference if a sign's background is blue, green or white but then what is the point in having the different colours in the first place? There is a standard so it should be adhered to, regardless of whether the designer/installer thinks that it matters; if they think that it is unnecessary or needs amending then they should follow the correct channels to get it changed but, in the meantime, keep to the prescribed design. If they just aren't aware of what is correct then why are they in that job?

This can be seen in many walks of life, not just road signs and the like, and, sadly, seems to becoming more common. Bryn and Conekicker are both 'in the trade' and must be banging there heads against the wall going by some of their posts about what they see (green cones with purple lamps for roadwork entrances anyone?).

Mini-rant over.
Norfolktolancashire

Post by Norfolktolancashire »

This one is still standing after many years on a B road between Looe and East Taphouse in Cornwall.

It's odd in two ways;

1. It is located on the opposite side to the travel of traffic relating to it

2. The wording at the base "and the west", bearing in mind it is already way into Cornwall, there are not many destinations to the west of it!

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.36979 ... 312!8i6656
Rambo

Post by Rambo »

This 'Mouldsworth' sign can be found just off the A54 at Kelsall. Quite odd with the large backing board and the whole thing is more or less hidden by a hedge, especially in summer.
Attachments
IMG_6532.JPG
skiddaw05

Post by skiddaw05 »

A nice bit of mankiness from 2019, it's even worse now

It was in far better shape in 2008. Interesting to note that the new road layout sign was still there back then! (For trivia hunters this 'new' layout was marking both lanes straight ahead; before the left lane was left only. So now you know)
Alderpoint

Post by Alderpoint »

Let it snow.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Rambo wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 20:40 This 'Mouldsworth' sign can be found just off the A54 at Kelsall. Quite odd with the large backing board and the whole thing is more or less hidden by a hedge, especially in summer.
This is a "light baffle" to ensure the sign light lights up the sign. Without it, the light spill would go behind the sign or under it.

Signs haven't required illumination since 2002 so this design quirk is long since gone.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Rambo

Post by Rambo »

Bryn666 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:40
Rambo wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 20:40 This 'Mouldsworth' sign can be found just off the A54 at Kelsall. Quite odd with the large backing board and the whole thing is more or less hidden by a hedge, especially in summer.
This is a "light baffle" to ensure the sign light lights up the sign. Without it, the light spill would go behind the sign or under it.

Signs haven't required illumination since 2002 so this design quirk is long since gone.
And a good chance the light doesn't even work any more. next time i should get the loppers out to make it a bit more visible without getting strange looks off the locals..
Bfivethousand

Post by Bfivethousand »

This is as manky as they come...
16 Sodium atoms walk into a bar
followed immediately by Batman
Kevin Roads

Post by Kevin Roads »

Passed this one recently https://maps.app.goo.gl/7XyzTWKFP55BMKQi9 still looking as manky as in the GSV pic.

Unusual that it's only in Welsh, I wonder how old it is?
SteelCamel

Post by SteelCamel »

Kevin Roads wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 18:53 Passed this one recently https://maps.app.goo.gl/7XyzTWKFP55BMKQi9 still looking as manky as in the GSV pic.

Unusual that it's only in Welsh, I wonder how old it is?
I suspect that's an unofficial sign, it looks like this might be a private road. As far as I can see the official signs say "Ffordd un trac â mannau pasio".

This one seems to say "narrow road" rather than "single track road". As a non-Welsh speaker I'm reluctant to assert that it's wrong, but as it translates as "NARROW ROAD WITH passing places" it really doesn't look right - "gyda" should surely be in the smaller letters as well, even if "gul" rather than "un trac" is correct. I'm not sure of the difference between "â" and "gyda" - any Welsh speakers want to correct my attempts?

Also it should be back at the junction, as that's where the single track road starts.
FleetlinePhil

Post by FleetlinePhil »

skiddaw05 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 23:02 A nice bit of mankiness from 2019, it's even worse now

It was in far better shape in 2008. Interesting to note that the new road layout sign was still there back then! (For trivia hunters this 'new' layout was marking both lanes straight ahead; before the left lane was left only. So now you know)
I remember seeing Guardian Rd on the map when we were visiting the very handsome Gatehouse pub on Dereham Rd a few years ago. It struck me as rather an unusual name - does anybody with local knowledge have any explanation?
Rambo

Post by Rambo »

Another blue border not too far from my last seen along the A556. Interesting that it is in CAPITALS.
Attachments
22.jpg
skiddaw05

Post by skiddaw05 »

FleetlinePhil wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 14:07
skiddaw05 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 23:02 A nice bit of mankiness from 2019, it's even worse now

I remember seeing Guardian Rd on the map when we were visiting the very handsome Gatehouse pub on Dereham Rd a few years ago. It struck me as rather an unusual name - does anybody with local knowledge have any explanation?
There was a Guardian Road back in the 1900's, more or less where the current one on the ring road is, which passed close to the Norwich Workhouse. A bit of research has shown that workhouses were administered by a Board of Guardians. So that may explain it!
FleetlinePhil

Post by FleetlinePhil »

skiddaw05 wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 23:26
FleetlinePhil wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 14:07

There was a Guardian Road back in the 1900's, more or less where the current one on the ring road is, which passed close to the Norwich Workhouse. A bit of research has shown that workhouses were administered by a Board of Guardians. So that may explain it!
Thanks for the info - I would have been a long time guessing that as an explanation!
Big Nick

Post by Big Nick »

Bfivethousand wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 14:36 This is as manky as they come...
That Tourist Information sign is worthless. Too small to practically read when driving by, no follow up signs afterwards and when you do find it you've gone right through Minehead!

Manky or just pathetic? https://www.google.com/maps/@51.206922, ... 312!8i6656

Pre-Worboys Porlock A39 sign in Minehead itself: https://www.google.com/maps/@51.205357, ... 384!8i8192
Kevin Roads

Post by Kevin Roads »

An unmatched pair of 'Ahead Only' arrows here https://maps.app.goo.gl/AN4fdL52ZAQJ5FAi9

I'm assuming the one on the right is an older design; I've passed this junction a few times and probably wouldn't have noticed if both signs were as per the older-looking one.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Kevin Roads wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 16:14 An unmatched pair of 'Ahead Only' arrows here https://maps.app.goo.gl/AN4fdL52ZAQJ5FAi9

I'm assuming the one on the right is an older design; I've passed this junction a few times and probably wouldn't have noticed if both signs were as per the older-looking one.
"One way street" arrows, aren't they? "Ahead only" is the big round sign. But yes, they're not well-matched.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Kevin Roads

Post by Kevin Roads »

Thanks for the correction, Chris.
Rambo

Post by Rambo »

Looking worse for wear in Edge Hill, Liverpool
Attachments
IMG_6564.JPG
traffic-light-man

Post by traffic-light-man »

I assume you've also seen the flag signs there that have seen better days? I can't remember if I posted these or not.
Attachments
IMG_20201108_122357.jpg
IMG_20201108_122426.jpg
Simon