Concrete Lamp Posts

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

A303Paul

Concrete Lamp Posts

Post by A303Paul »

As they stopped being installed in the late '90s have these now been banned and if so by whom, when?
Haydn1971

Concrete Lamp Posts

Post by Haydn1971 »

Not "banned" as such, but concrete isn't specified as an option in the Specification for Works, most Authorities use this document as a basis for their own contract documents, as to when it occurred, one of the old boys might recall.

Series 1300
Regards, Haydn

:: Visit My roads in Sheffield mini site
:: View my photostream on Flickr
Gareth

Re: Concrete Lamp Posts

Post by Gareth »

Was it as recently as that? I'm sure Liverpool stopped putting in new concrete as far ago as the mid-80s.
A303Paul

Post by A303Paul »

I'm sure that West Sussex used them well into the 1990's.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

The last brand new installations were in the mid 1990s - I remember casual concrete replacements going up in Blackburn around 1994.

The A34 Wilmslow Bypass has concrete sign supports - one of the youngest roads here to have them and that opened around 1995.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

The same around here too. Concrete columns with Alpha 1's were going up as late as the mid 90's.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
Ben302

Post by Ben302 »

The last concrete columns installed here were in 1990 in various new build housing estates dotted about Gillingham and Rainham and were CU columns with outreach brackets like this although zoom in from this image to the next (1991) build phase of this particular area used CU Hockeystick columns
Last edited by Ben302 on Sun Mar 04, 2012 21:07, edited 1 time in total.
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

Last used in Copeland in the late seventies. However, many still survive in Whitehaven on the B5295 and the B5343 and on the Hillcrest and Richmond estates.
Xube

Post by Xube »

In my area of Bedfordshire, i remember, either late 90's or perhaps even in 2000, they replaced old concrete columns with a concrete swan neck and with a G&C Z5590 lantern, to a new concrete column with a metal sleeve, (and short bracket) with a Thorn Beta 5 lantern.
poshbakerloo

Post by poshbakerloo »

Doncaster has a good example of concrete street lights designed for dual carriage ways (Not sure what the technical term is for them) But you don't often see them around...

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=53.515799, ... 18,,0,0.56
Paninaro

Post by Paninaro »

Bryn666 wrote:The last brand new installations were in the mid 1990s - I remember casual concrete replacements going up in Blackburn around 1994.

The A34 Wilmslow Bypass has concrete sign supports - one of the youngest roads here to have them and that opened around 1995.
I don't suppose there's any pics of that being built knocking around?

I can recall it being constructed and they had an on-site asphalt plant and several old site lorries transporting the material for the roads.
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

An old thread but unless there's another for pictures here's one of the type still around in Northwood

RichardA626

Post by RichardA626 »

Stockport MBC seemed to stop using concrete in the 1970s-80s, not sure when but all the new ones in the last 30 years seem to be steel.

Lots of shorter swan necks on side streets but they are being gradually replaced.
Beware of the trickster on the roof
shampooefficient

Post by shampooefficient »

All the concrete posts around Stockton etc are in the middle of being replaced with new LED toss.

Ive had previous disagreements with their head of Signs Etc, but if anyone wants to see about saving some, time is running out. Theres a lot of ornate steel posts in the Monkseaton estate that I really want to keep. Id love a Sabristi to help out...
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

If you want to see plenty of concrete, although it is gradually disappearing now, visit west Cumbria. Most of Cockermouth's side streets have concrete lights with some original lanterns and the B5295 out of Whitehaven is mostly concrete. Luckily as an economy measure, only the lanterns are being replaced with LED and the standards, which date back to the sixties, are being kept.
Love SOX

Post by Love SOX »

I miss concrete columns's. When I was a kid in Blackburn we had loads of them, my favorite being the Stanton 6B. They looked great with their Metrovick Trafford lanterns. A million miles from the galvanised tubulars which are taking over the world.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Hi Love SOX,

You will be all to aware about the LED retrofit in Blackburn then. Unfortunately the last unsleeved Stantons were lost a few years ago but several columns remain with sleeves.

I too recall them being prominent but they all had Eleco G150s by the time I came around!
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Love SOX

Post by Love SOX »

Bryn666 wrote:Hi Love SOX,

You will be all to aware about the LED retrofit in Blackburn then. Unfortunately the last unsleeved Stantons were lost a few years ago but several columns remain with sleeves.

I too recall them being prominent but they all had Eleco G150s by the time I came around!

The Trafford lanterns were disapearing at a rate of knots by the time I was old enough to take an interest. I think I could only have been about 8 or 9 by the time the ones on the road where I lived all went. I have one of the Eleco Goldenray's which replaced them in my collection.
RichardA626

Post by RichardA626 »

Stockport have a mixture of concrete posts, though most if not all the larger ones have been replaced in recent years.

There's still some swan necks on side streets.

In Marple there are some 1960s-70s ones unsleeved.
Beware of the trickster on the roof
Welly

Post by Welly »

Question - why were concrete lamp posts made in the first place?

Was that due to shortage of steel after WW2? Or was it just fashionable?

Not that I have anything against them!