Unauthorised changes to signs

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Truvelo

Re: Unauthorised changes to signs

Post by Truvelo »

Has no one mentioned the urban 80mph limit yet? There must be 100's of 30 signs where someone's filled in the left side of the 3 to make it into an 8.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
RichardA626

Post by RichardA626 »

Sometimes this happens officially.

In Manchester the first working class street to have houses with indoor plumbing was named Sanitary Street.

Some years later residents starting complaining about the same, so with a touch of paint it was changed to Anita Street.
Beware of the trickster on the roof
A325Ham

Post by A325Ham »

My parents pointed out this one on the Isle Of Wight. Spot where the addition was...

http://goo.gl/maps/qcrF
A72

Post by A72 »

In the centre of the picture is what remains of a small 30mph reminder sign, which had been doctored to read 80 for years. It was removed when the '20' markings were painted on the road in 2008. Although a new reminder was installed just before the start of the wooded area.
Attachments
80mph.jpg
The 7-Zone Challenge
A roads: 71/71
B roads: 181/181
Total: 252/252

Completed: 04/11/20.
M5Lenzar
Banned

Post by M5Lenzar »

A72 wrote:In the centre of the picture is what remains of a small 30mph reminder sign, which had been doctored to read 80 for years. It was removed when the '20' markings were painted on the road in 2008. Although a new reminder was installed just before the start of the wooded area.
I notice that they've somehow managed to paint a speed limit reminder into the lay-by. :bang:
CrackersA361

Post by CrackersA361 »

M5Lenzar wrote:
A72 wrote:In the centre of the picture is what remains of a small 30mph reminder sign, which had been doctored to read 80 for years. It was removed when the '20' markings were painted on the road in 2008. Although a new reminder was installed just before the start of the wooded area.
I notice that they've somehow managed to paint a speed limit reminder into the lay-by. :bang:
Maybe it's future-proofing for a widening to two lanes? :wink:
James

Britain's Lost Motorway Network: My Flickr set of map scans. A collection of all the bits of motorway we didn't build that made it onto a map. And a few that weren't planned at all!
A72

Post by A72 »

M5Lenzar wrote:I notice that they've somehow managed to paint a speed limit reminder into the lay-by. :bang:
They've done the exact same on the lay-by at the other end as well.
CrackersA361 wrote:Maybe it's future-proofing for a widening to two lanes? :wink:
I hope they don't. The fields on either side are part of the high school to the right, so the single lane keeps traffic slow. Also the trees at the western end make conversion to two lanes prohibitive.
I hope it stays the same, as it has a bit of character. Despite it being within the town (hence the '30' reminders), there are no street lights, so you need full-beam at night.
The 7-Zone Challenge
A roads: 71/71
B roads: 181/181
Total: 252/252

Completed: 04/11/20.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Voie Rapide / Mótarbhealaí
Updated 1 November 2019!
murphaph

Post by murphaph »

I suspect the most defaced signs in the UK are the ones for Londonderry.
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

murphaph wrote:I suspect the most defaced signs in the UK are the ones for Londonderry.
Who remembers the huge defacement of any English-language names for towns all across Wales a generation ago ?
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

WHBM wrote:
murphaph wrote:I suspect the most defaced signs in the UK are the ones for Londonderry.
Who remembers the huge defacement of any English-language names for towns all across Wales a generation ago ?
There was some defacement of signs the other way round too - depended on which part of Wales you were in. Some areas of the south are really not keen on Plaid or anything seen as pandering to them.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

You still see it occasionally in isolated Welsh-speaking communities. A sign that says "LLAREGYB / Gyrrwch yn ddiogel / Drive safely" will have the English painted out or scratched off.
zacspeed

Post by zacspeed »

THIS made me smile.... :laugh:
multiraider2

Post by multiraider2 »

Doctored sign (800x600).jpg
Spotted one on my travels to Cornwall. Most of the signs along the road on the north side of Gillan Creek have been doctored in a similar fashion.
Was92now625

Post by Was92now625 »

Totley Brook Road, (SW Sheffield) became 'Otley Brook Road'. Unremarkable except that it happened on TWO signs on either side of the road. Of course, there is a school nearby ...
Jam35

Post by Jam35 »

Chris Bertram wrote:
WHBM wrote:
There was some defacement of signs the other way round too - depended on which part of Wales you were in. Some areas of the south are really not keen on Plaid or anything seen as pandering to them.
Ah, yes, Llanoronwy. Can't remember the English name of that one, but I do remember the almighty fuss.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

I dare say so; the new signs around Ballygawley have been painted with a translucent material so "London" is not visible at night until close up, but during the day you can see it all.

Aughnacloy of course just uses black spray paint. Perhaps we should just rename it Foyleville already ;-)
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Jam35 wrote:
Chris Bertram wrote:There was some defacement of signs the other way round too - depended on which part of Wales you were in. Some areas of the south are really not keen on Plaid or anything seen as pandering to them.
Ah, yes, Llanoronwy. Can't remember the English name of that one, but I do remember the almighty fuss.
Rockfield, indeed. It was said at the time that the few Welsh speakers in the area didn't recognise that name (Llanoronwy), and if they had to write it down, used "Rocfield", letter "k" being alien to the Welsh alphabet. There comnes a time to realise when an ancient name has become life-expired, and this was just such a case.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

Chris Bertram wrote:It was said at the time that the few Welsh speakers in the area didn't recognise that name (Llanoronwy), and if they had to write it down, used "Rocfield", letter "k" being alien to the Welsh alphabet.
Rocffîld, surely? :wink:
Jam35

Post by Jam35 »

But a Welsh sign should be in a high register of Welsh. I know people often say things such as Menai Brij, but the sign should still read Porthaethwy (as it does). Abandoning the literary language just leads to the Bargoed/Bargod silliness, where a wholly unremarkable dialectal feature finds its way onto signs as "the Welsh name". Llanoronwy is good literary Welsh, the sort that people should be encouraged to write.