Traffic lights always on green

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

AndyB
Elected Committee Member

Re: Traffic lights always on green

Post by AndyB »

Yes, it was a simple right turn (originally without a separate lane!) onto the Belvoir Road, and a teardrop from the Belvoir Road in the other direction. Curiously, I noticed somewhere along the way that the A55 was the B205 from that point, and the B23 diverted at Edenderry, so I have no idea what the Milltown Road used to be at that time! As I'm sure Wesley also mentions, the A55 was originally intended to go straight on at that point through Lagan Valley Regional Park, but that will not now happen.

The traffic lights were installed as part of the preparatory works for the Westlink upgrade due to the increased traffic coming off the B205, being the main alternative route for traffic travelling to/from Co Down.

It's a very sensible permagreen, as people might otherwise assume they had to stop at an invisible stop line.
Last edited by AndyB on Wed Nov 28, 2012 23:40, edited 1 time in total.
Chris_533976

Post by Chris_533976 »

hughster wrote:
Chris_533976 wrote:This is the 'end of the bus lane' light to the east of Terenure in Dublin. I've been driving past it almost daily for two years, never seen it red.

http://goo.gl/maps/uxadk
There's a permagreen facing the other way that appears to show the word "BUS" on it, but it doesn't make any sense for it to point that way as there's no bus lane for it to control. Was this "BUS" green light originally turned around to face the same way as the rest of the lights so as to let buses go while other traffic is stopped?
Knowing Ireland it was facing the same way as the rest of the lights, as you've described, but I'd say a buses wing mirror gave it a slap one day and it never got fixed :D
frediculous_biggs
President

Traffic Lights that never go red

Post by frediculous_biggs »

I've been thinking today about the set of lights at the A2/A28 Wincheap junction, and specifically this set, and how they will never show anything other than green for the left hand lane.

I wondered if that's because there's a right turn with lights and it would be confusing without them, but then there's also this example. This is much older, but is a very similar situation, with the left hand lanes continuing regardless of the status right turn (the turn to the left is one-way). Both also have a pedestrian crossing a small distance down the road.

Interestingly further down the A2, there's a set of lights where a left turn is always allowed, either through the main green or a green arrow.

Are there other examples of this? Or is this perhaps a new way of laying out such a junction? Or perhaps are there other examples of lights that never go red or green?
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Andy33gmail

Re: Traffic Lights that never go red

Post by Andy33gmail »

During the work to the Hills Road bridge in Cambridge, some turns were banned, and we had a permanent ahead arrow on green for a year or so because there was no longer a conflict
Fahad
SABRE Developer

Post by Fahad »

This thread has many examples: Traffic lights always on green
Stevie D

Post by Stevie D »

frediculous_biggs wrote:I've been thinking today about the set of lights at the A2/A28 Wincheap junction, and specifically this set, and how they will never show anything other than green for the left hand lane.

I wondered if that's because there's a right turn with lights and it would be confusing without them, but then there's also this example. This is much older, but is a very similar situation, with the left hand lanes continuing regardless of the status right turn (the turn to the left is one-way). Both also have a pedestrian crossing a small distance down the road.
In the second example, the lights could well be there purely because of the pedestrian crossing.

In the first example, it's a judgement call. There's a junction that's recently been added near here with a right-turn off a dual-carriageway, but no corresponding right-turn onto the d-c. There is only a right-turn traffic light on the filter lane, and nothing at all on the mainline. Whenever I approach this, I have to do a double-take and reassure myself that the only set of lights I can see don't actually apply to me going straight on ... while there is extra installation and maintenance costs of installing a second set of lights to show a permanent green, it does at least do away with this potential confusion and allow the traffic to flow more freely.
AndyB
Elected Committee Member

Post by AndyB »

Merged and moved :)
Median

Post by Median »

https://goo.gl/maps/w6Q1j

This used to be a conventional T-junction until they prohibited turning right out of the side road. As a local I know that I don't need to be on amber alert when going straight ahead, but it still feels slightly wrong. There is a slim chance that some desperado will do an illegal right turn from the side road, although the curved traffic island makes that difficult.
jonnyf90

Post by jonnyf90 »

M27 J5 westbound.
https://goo.gl/maps/by5IP
Exiting onto Thomas Lewis Way, these left arrows are always green, even though there's a stop line, I'm guessing it pre-dates the lane separation?

What's the point?
Una vida, bien vivida.
Veni, vidi, vici.
traffic-light-man

Post by traffic-light-man »

Alternatively, this filter lane at M62 J7 was added a few years ago but you regularly get left turning traffic stop for the signals. A simple fix would of course be a full-time filter arrow.
Simon
Jeni
Banned

Post by Jeni »

traffic-light-man wrote:Alternatively, this filter lane at M62 J7 was added a few years ago but you regularly get left turning traffic stop for the signals. A simple fix would of course be a full-time filter arrow.
The same thing seems to happen on the southbound filter exiting the M40 at J15. I guess if people aren't familiar with the junction then it's understandable to be a bit cautious.
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

jonnyf90 wrote:M27 J5 westbound.
https://goo.gl/maps/by5IP
Exiting onto Thomas Lewis Way, these left arrows are always green, even though there's a stop line, I'm guessing it pre-dates the lane separation?

What's the point?
No, it was put in with the filter lane. The original plan for the eastbound offslip and Wide Lane filter lanes had them too, but I don't think they're still in the plan... that's if the junction is ever finished.

Off the top of my head, I believe the narrower J7 eastbound doesn't have lights of the filter lane. It can be a little bit confusing but this junction would have been a lot clearer.

Thomas Lewis Way has another example at the Lodge Road exit.
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
Andy33gmail

Post by Andy33gmail »

Realise this is way old, but just been flicking through
M4Mark wrote:
traffic-light-man wrote:Does a green arrow not impose a mandatory 'movement in direction of arrows only'? So a green right arrow display without a green straight arrow means you must turn right.
Only applies in relation to a movement crossing the stop line.
Surely that can't be so, without a stop line, the primary becomes "the stop line"? So you would indeee need to stop if the right arrow was green. In any case, the stop line applies to the whole carrigeway (it's not separated by islands).

If either of the above weren't true, you could:
-Do a right turn at that junction on red from the left lane (no blue ahead only arrow or no right turn sign)
-Move into the oncoming lane to circumvent any traffic light, so long as you don't contravene an island with a blue arrow
Fahad
SABRE Developer

Post by Fahad »

It also raises questions about the legality of things like this bus gate cycle bypass
Andy33gmail

Post by Andy33gmail »

The cycle bypass is separated by the island, so there's definitely not a red light violation. However, any cyclist using that would be contravening the keep-right arrow.
Fahad
SABRE Developer

Post by Fahad »

That's a consistent rule - I don't think any consistent rules have been proposed on this site before. I like that interpretation, it means that this thing is fair game :D
Andy33gmail

Post by Andy33gmail »

I wouldn't hesistate to use that. That said, I'd do it with appropriate use of speed
Fahad
SABRE Developer

Post by Fahad »

Theoretically speaking it may even be used southbound :D
Andy33gmail

Post by Andy33gmail »

I've always wondered about creating a pedestrian crossing that doesn't cause cars to have to stop. To achieve this, split each direction in 2 around a splitter, with them passing on the left 50% of the time and right 50%. That way, there's a continuous route for traffic, and a wave of green men for peds to follow across one way then the other
sirwiggum

Post by sirwiggum »

Andy33gmail wrote:I've always wondered about creating a pedestrian crossing that doesn't cause cars to have to stop. To achieve this, split each direction in 2 around a splitter, with them passing on the left 50% of the time and right 50%. That way, there's a continuous route for traffic, and a wave of green men for peds to follow across one way then the other
Would it work? Peds tend to look and see if a road is immediately clear, and cross, regardless of pedestrian signal.

The transitionary phase between one lane and the other may cause issues, as stragglers or pre-empters cross when it becomes green for vehicle traffic.