Traffic lights always on green

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Keiji

Re: Traffic lights always on green

Post by Keiji »

hughster wrote: Just for illustrative purposes...

After:

It took me a few minutes to figure out why this freaked me out: I'm used to seeing red/amber arrows in France... where they don't have the red+amber combination.

That's certainly some nice image editing, though! :D (Although you forgot to remove the reflection of the pole in the puddle.)
SussexMan

Post by SussexMan »

This light on the left must have been green for at least 27 years I think. I do think it is potentially confusing because of the filter lane on the left which it doesn't relate to.

http://goo.gl/maps/53cqq
ianwallis

Post by ianwallis »

jcpren wrote:
WHBM wrote:(I wonder... Could you legally pass the stop line on red, and then use the roundabout to turn left?)
In my opinion then yes you could. It's no different to a full RAG with left filter where there isn't a slip lane on the left. I would suggest that this is quite a dodgy arrangement legally.
Keiji

Post by Keiji »

SussexMan wrote:This light on the left must have been green for at least 27 years I think. I do think it is potentially confusing because of the filter lane on the left which it doesn't relate to.

http://goo.gl/maps/53cqq
That's got to be one of the most pointless/silly instances in this thread!

Here's one I've passed all my life, and didn't realize it belonged here until I cycled through it last night. Also didn't realize there was no stop line until I looked it up on gmaps just a minute ago. It's slightly different in that traffic is allowed to go from other directions to this destination, but the traffic using the filter lane has to merge with it (due to parked cars further up the road).

Speaking of that junction, I can't figure out what these lights are supposed to indicate. There's three possible directions to go, but the no right turn arrow limits that to two. Left-turning and straight on traffic are controlled in two separate phases, explaining the two separate RAG stacks, but why does the left stack have two green aspects? It's a shame Google only seems to have them on red... guess I'll have to go take a closer look next time I'm down there.

Also, is this signal face prescribed? It makes sense: no U-turns, and the three aspects are for left, left fork, and right fork, with the left and left fork coming on at once and then the right fork coming on after red-amber. But I've never seen it anywhere else, so I'm wondering if it's a shape they thought of, or if they had to obtain authorisation for it.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

It's unusual but think it's perfectly legit.

You like your odd signal set ups down in Torbay don't you? Went through that junction yesterday myself.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
M4Mark

Post by M4Mark »

Bryn666 wrote:It's unusual but think it's perfectly legit.
You like your odd signal set ups down in Torbay don't you? Went through that junction yesterday myself.
Sorry Bryn but I don't think it is, it does not comply with either Diagram 3000.7 or 3000.8.
Diagram 3000.7
Diagram 3000.8
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Does Torquay still have a pelican crossing where the vehicle lights have green arrows? It was years ago I was last there (I was a kid) but if I recall correctly, it was a staggered pelican just before a roundabout. The arrows pointed left, as in the flow of the roundabout. The signals on the carriageway leaving the roundabout were just normal greens. I believe pelican signals cannot have arrows, or box signs.
boing_uk
Account deactivated at user request

Post by boing_uk »

No definitely not legit. Box signs / additional aspects must be either left or right handed, or directly below the green.

You can not have a 4 in line also with handed box signs / additional aspects.

There's an MCX drawing somewhere showing the permissible standards.
Keiji

Post by Keiji »

Bryn666 wrote:It's unusual but think it's perfectly legit.
Can't think of any other local "odd signal set ups" off the top of my head...
M4Mark wrote:Sorry Bryn but I don't think it is, it does not comply with either Diagram 3000.7 or 3000.8.
Diagram 3000.7
Diagram 3000.8
Those diagrams make no provision for the inclusion of blue arrows, no left/right/u-turn signs*, or "except..." plates - are there separate diagrams for those?

*as was the case here, with the no U turn + 3 green arrows.
boing_uk

Post by boing_uk »

The green arrow aspects on the left should be moved up one module (so that they are next to the amber and green) and the box sign should be on the right hand side next to the green aspect, not below it.
M4Mark

Post by M4Mark »

Keiji wrote:
M4Mark wrote:Sorry Bryn but I don't think it is, it does not comply with either Diagram 3000.7 or 3000.8.
Diagram 3000.7
Diagram 3000.8
Those diagrams make no provision for the inclusion of blue arrows, no left/right/u-turn signs*, or "except..." plates - are there separate diagrams for those?
*as was the case here, with the no U turn + 3 green arrows.
boing_uk wrote:No definitely not legit. Box signs / additional aspects must be either left or right handed, or directly below the green.
You can not have a 4 in line also with handed box signs / additional aspects.
There's an MCX drawing somewhere showing the permissible standards.
boing_uk wrote:The green arrow aspects on the left should be moved up one module (so that they are next to the amber and green) and the box sign should be on the right hand side next to the green aspect, not below it.
Yes the arrows should but I don't think the No U Turn sign is needed on the nearside primary.
Ch3 of TSM recommends it usually offside primary and secondary. (Edited as remembered I have put a No U Turn on a nearside primary as a 4-in-line aspect)

MCX0400A shows the correct position of arrows and box signs (and some other mounting of signals information). It is still current to my mind as nothing has clearly superseeded it, the DfT do seem to have overlooked it when referring to box signs in the TSM/TALs as they don't refer to it or show a helpful diagram.
I think the information on box sign position should be copied into the next TSRGD with the existing Diagram on arrow position.
Gareth wrote:I believe pelican signals cannot have arrows, or box signs.
Yes they can, it's included within the Pelican/Puffin Regulations and also the TSRGD for Toucans.
Last edited by M4Mark on Fri Oct 26, 2012 18:32, edited 1 time in total.
boing_uk

Post by boing_uk »

Well I was meaning in general, rather than that specific lantern, but yes generally in the situation where that lantern is, no box signs for restrictions on the right hand side.
t1(M)

Post by t1(M) »

Keiji wrote:
t1(M) wrote:permagreenon its own signal head
That's quite the botch. Looks like they originally only had the right-turn signals, and put the filter arrows (and sign) in after having problems with people stopping unnecessarily? ).
That is exactly what happened - the single green head is quite new
Keiji wrote: what's with the orange at the same time as green anyway?).
I think that's just the GSV car catching the lights at the instant they changed from green to amber.
traffic-light-man

Post by traffic-light-man »

Here's some continuous greens in Hong Kong. No doubt following UK practices - One appears to be a pedestrian crossing for the side street only.

1 & 2
Simon
Chris_533976

Post by Chris_533976 »

This is the 'end of the bus lane' light to the east of Terenure in Dublin. I've been driving past it almost daily for two years, never seen it red.

http://goo.gl/maps/uxadk

This is its compadré to the west of Terenure. Its a complete **** to get through in traffic, by contrast.

http://goo.gl/maps/fWQmd
hughster

Post by hughster »

Chris_533976 wrote:This is the 'end of the bus lane' light to the east of Terenure in Dublin. I've been driving past it almost daily for two years, never seen it red.

There's a permagreen facing the other way that appears to show the word "BUS" on it, but it doesn't make any sense for it to point that way as there's no bus lane for it to control. Was this "BUS" green light originally turned around to face the same way as the rest of the lights so as to let buses go while other traffic is stopped?
traffic-light-man

Post by traffic-light-man »

hughster wrote:
Chris_533976 wrote:This is the 'end of the bus lane' light to the east of Terenure in Dublin. I've been driving past it almost daily for two years, never seen it red.

There's a permagreen facing the other way that appears to show the word "BUS" on it, but it doesn't make any sense for it to point that way as there's no bus lane for it to control. Was this "BUS" green light originally turned around to face the same way as the rest of the lights so as to let buses go while other traffic is stopped?
I think that's supposed to be facing a similar direction to the RAGs (maybe pointed towards the road a bit so you can actually see it from behind the post!), which would make the setup the same as the other example.
Simon
n1dom

Post by n1dom »

This permagreen has been around for something in the region of 20 years.

http://goo.gl/maps/SNPLA
ianwallis

Post by ianwallis »

This one has been there since the 70's I think although was removed last year as part of the new Inner Ring Road junction.
http://goo.gl/maps/VN0CP
Trebeck

Post by Trebeck »

This signal head, where the A55 outer ring in Belfast stops being a useful D2 and instead half heartedly turns into an S4.

Looking the other way from the photos on this entry on a certain excellent website - http://www.wesleyjohnston.com/roads/a55 ... grade.html - this used to be a teardrop (ex-roundabout/dumbell?) junction, now traffic light controlled since 2005.

The turn right uses the signals, you can always travel straight ahead, does not have pedestrian crossing, it is always green.