Traffic lights always on green

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

traffic-light-man

Re: Traffic lights always on green

Post by traffic-light-man »

Keiji wrote:
traffic-light-man wrote:I assume using a single aspect GA without authorisation from the DfT is against the TSRGD.
I wasn't aware you needed authorisation to use filter arrows?
You don't, providing the signal face complies to the TSRGD.

A single aspect head doesn't comply, AFAIK.
Simon
Keiji

Post by Keiji »

Oh - sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you meant (and was surprised that) you'd need authorisation for my preferred setup, which is a "single" filter aspect attached to the main red-amber-green for turning right in a J-shape. Whereas what you meant by single was having it all on its own. :)
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

I don't see they need for permanent green arrows in most occassions. I really do think that a sensible road layout, markings and position of signals can make it clear to through traffic that the signals do not apply to them. I'm not even sure where the stop line is in the OP's example. It seems to form a part of the hatchings. This is also a situation where red & amber arrow aspects would be helpful.

I don't know of any local examples anymore but the old Paradise Street bus station in Liverpool City Centre had a left filter arrow permanently on,allowing buses to turn into the station.

Not quite the same thing, but there were also a set of tin lanterns (Edge Lane/St Oswalds Street) which had pedestrian signals on most arms but they were all dead. Despite the vehicle signals being on and behaving normally, the ped lanterns were always dark and the buttons didn't illuminate either. There was a pedestrian crossings on one of the exiting arms and so the vehicle lights were just always on green. They were replaced with mellors (like for like) in 1991 but had the exact same problem, suggesting the same controller was in use. It was eventually fixed a couple of years later.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

There is a set in Brixham that has a permanent left arrow. Currently the lights are off due to roadworks... barring the left arrow.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
xfield

Post by xfield »

Glenn A wrote:I don't know if this is true now, but in Germany, if you stayed at a certain speed, you would never hit a red light.
The speed of light + 1 mph?

In all seriousness, isn't that a "greenwave" - how is it possible to guarantee that for everybody?
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

xfield wrote:
Glenn A wrote:I don't know if this is true now, but in Germany, if you stayed at a certain speed, you would never hit a red light.

In all seriousness, isn't that a "greenwave" - how is it possible to guarantee that for everybody?
You may well hit a red light the first time you approach a set of lights that forms part of the sequence. However, when it turns green, providing you maintain the correct speed, all the rest will be green too.

So it's not so much that everyone always gets green; more that once you get a green light you'll find the rest all follow.
boing_uk
Account deactivated at user request

Post by boing_uk »

Well not quite so. I wrote an article in the wiki on green progression explaining it a bit better.
Keiji

Post by Keiji »

Chris5156 wrote:
xfield wrote:

You may well hit a red light the first time you approach a set of lights that forms part of the sequence. However, when it turns green, providing you maintain the correct speed, all the rest will be green too.

So it's not so much that everyone always gets green; more that once you get a green light you'll find the rest all follow.
Only if you follow the priority route though, surely?
Glen
Social Media Admin

Post by Glen »

Gareth wrote:I don't see they need for permanent green arrows in most occassions. I really do think that a sensible road layout, markings and position of signals can make it clear to through traffic that the signals do not apply to them.
It depends on what the existing road layout and space will allow.
The example the boing posted shows you can have a signal for right turn that is unlikely to misinterpreted by other traffic, but there is plenty of room to separate the right turn lane there and the width of the rest of the carriageway also makes it more obvious.
But in urban street it is likely that the controlled and uncontrolled lanes are going to have to be right next to each other so could potentially cause confusion to some drivers.

This is the example I mentioned in Inverness, without the green arrow it would be likely that some drivers would stop at the signals, even though there would be no signal to their nearside or stop line across their lane.
It would still be technically correct without the green arrow, but it reduces the potential of driver confusion.
Ben302

Post by Ben302 »

Permanent greens here and here
A72

Post by A72 »

Ben302 wrote:Permanent greens here and here
Follow the second example's road for bit, and you get to here. Would these be candidates for the botched thread? There's something not quite right about them.
The 7-Zone Challenge
A roads: 71/71
B roads: 181/181
Total: 252/252

Completed: 04/11/20.
Keiji

Post by Keiji »

Yes - text too small. I think they've already been posted, though...
dragonv480

Post by dragonv480 »

Debaser wrote: And, conversely, always red (unless you have the electronic gizmo to activate them).

http://goo.gl/maps/BRbuF
No longer true; these have been replaced recently with new heads and poles (and controller?) and now although there is now a "no stunt bikes" sign with a "permit holders only" supplement, the lights do go green as you approach them, then return to rest on red.
Cheers! Image

Gaz Wilson
hughster

Post by hughster »

hughster wrote:
t1(M) wrote:permagreenon its own signal head
IMHO, red/amber arrow lights at this sort of junction would be much clearer and avoid messes like this.
Just for illustrative purposes...

Before:

After:

WHBM

Post by WHBM »

Gareth wrote:I don't see they need for permanent green arrows in most occasions.
I do get the impression that many of them are retro-fits, to deal with experience of through traffic stopping unnecessarily.

Louvred signals, to be visible only to traffic in the turn lane, so often end up with poor/concealed visibility of the lights. I dislike them. Has anyone any experience here with the USA style, done not with louvres but with ground-glass optics on the lens itself, these give much more accuracy of light direction and focus, the whole set of aspects will come into view as you move into the turn lane, but show nothing when you are one lane to one side.
jcpren

Post by jcpren »

WHBM wrote:I do get the impression that many of them are retro-fits, to deal with experience of through traffic stopping unnecessarily.
That's exactly what happened here. And as has been mentioned about other similar installations, the green arrow remains lit even when the rest of the set has failed.

(I wonder... Could you legally pass the stop line on red, and then use the roundabout to turn left?)
John
Pilgrim Dan

Post by Pilgrim Dan »

Merge posts in turn
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

It dawned on me that this one counts recently while trying to cross the road.

M27 J9 is a fairly typical filter lane example. Compare with J7, which must be of a similar age.
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
traffic-light-man

Post by traffic-light-man »

Does a green arrow not impose a mandatory 'movement in direction of arrows only'? So a green right arrow display without a green straight arrow means you must turn right.

Just a thought.

NB: I know in reality the likelihood of your average driver seeing it this way is very, very unlikely.
Simon
M4Mark

Post by M4Mark »

traffic-light-man wrote:Does a green arrow not impose a mandatory 'movement in direction of arrows only'? So a green right arrow display without a green straight arrow means you must turn right.
Only applies in relation to a movement crossing the stop line.

The straight on movement as Boing's example shows should ideally have no need for stop line or signals.
I only know of one "Permanent Green Arrow" in the authority I'm working for which has been there since the mid 1990s.
traffic-light-man wrote:I suppose a RAG head that never changes is the only legal way to do it.
Possibly but a full signal head could give an incorrect impression that the light may change up to red causing people to speed up where as an individual green arrow is obviously different.
traffic-light-man wrote:I assume using a single aspect GA without authorisation from the DfT is against the TSRGD.
You never ask questions to which you don't want to know the answer!