Fractions on Route Confirmation Signs

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Brigham

Re: Fractions on Route Confirmation Signs

Post by Brigham »

Plenty of fractions, but how many exist giving Miles/Furlongs?
I only know of one.
Berk

Post by Berk »

Brigham wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 09:46 Plenty of fractions, but how many exist giving Miles/Furlongs?
I only know of one.
I bet it wasn’t made in the 20. Century (or this one, come to that).

Besides, a furlong is just another name for 1/8 -mile (or 200m, if you’re going to be like that :roll: ).
Berk

Post by Berk »

Bryn666 wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2013 20:52 As said elsewhere, since 1994, distances over 3 miles do not get fractions.

The old signs posted in here are some classics though.
If we take that as read, by the same token the ‘part-mile’ could be expressed as a decimal. But it isn’t - why not?? .9 miles is best part of a whole mile. You’ll need nearly as much time, or petrol to cover that much distance.

I’ve seen part-k’s many times in France, but strangely not really anywhere else (even Ireland, come to that). :?:
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Normal rounding rules apply. Less than a half mile and you round down, over half you round up.

So 3.3 would be signed as 3 and 3.6 signed as 4.

There's a very old clearway sign on the A675 that reads 4.04 miles.

Utterly silly.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Berk wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 23:11If we take that as read, by the same token the ‘part-mile’ could be expressed as a decimal. But it isn’t - why not?? .9 miles is best part of a whole mile. You’ll need nearly as much time, or petrol to cover that much distance.
It's traditional for vulgar fractions to be used for imperial units, where sub-units aren't used. For miles, that means miles + 1/2, 1/3 or 1/4 on the road, miles and furlongs on the turf and miles and chains on the railways. We *could * use miles + yards, but with a yard being 1/1760 of a mile, you'd end up with large numbers in the yards column. Familiarity with furlongs and chains is a bit of a niche interest, so we use vulgar fractions instead.

Those poncy decimal places are a damned foreign invention, best reserved for the awful metric system :wink: A problem with using them with the imperial system is that they rarely coincide with the unit to sub-unit ratios. Only furlongs to chains is 1:10 as far as I can remember, elsewhere you have 1:3 (yd/ft), 1:4 (pint/gill), 1:8 (gallon/pt and cwt/st), 1:12 (ft/in), 1:14 (st/lb), 1:16 (lb/oz) and 1:20 (pt/fl oz and ton/cwt), and I've probably forgotten one or two others.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
AndyB
Elected Committee Member

Post by AndyB »

Bryn666 wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 07:24 Normal rounding rules apply. Less than a half mile and you round down, over half you round up.

So 3.3 would be signed as 3 and 3.6 signed as 4.

There's a very old clearway sign on the A675 that reads 4.04 miles.

Utterly silly.
Before anyone objects, the chances of an RCS being precisely 3 miles and 880 yards from the centre of the village named on the sign is pretty much... nil.
vlad

Post by vlad »

Brigham wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 09:46 Plenty of fractions, but how many exist giving Miles/Furlongs?
I only know of one.
I know of a fingerpost giving miles and furlongs but can't think of an RCS.
"If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed." - Sylvia Plath
Berk

Post by Berk »

Like I say, eighths of a mile aren’t that commonly used - even though it’s half a quarter.

It’s usually within seeing distance in a straight line too.