Lighting one side of a dual carriageway

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

A303Chris
Elected Committee Member

Re: Lighting one side of a dual carriageway

Post by A303Chris »

Bryn666 wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:03
A303Chris wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 15:09 Also been done on the A329 Berkshire Way in Bracknell.

Although from personal experience the columns are not tall enough and lane one westbound hardly gets any light.
That's a pure cost cutting exercise, reusing old columns and cutting down the other side. I'd love to see a lighting analysis diagram for that.
You are probably correct, Bracknell Forest BC, are known for there accounting. They have just started charging parents £5 for an hours use of a play park within a country park!
The M25 - The road to nowhere
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

L.J.D wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 14:51 Not a dual carriageway but a before and after in Sheffield one this really wide road always struck me as odd when they replaced the lighting and only installed one side. Those columns don't look at all tall enough to throw light on the other side.
No, that counts, it definitely IS a dual carriageway!
ManomayLR
Social Media Admin

Post by ManomayLR »

Chris5156 wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 01:40
L.J.D wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 14:51 Not a dual carriageway but a before and after in Sheffield one this really wide road always struck me as odd when they replaced the lighting and only installed one side. Those columns don't look at all tall enough to throw light on the other side.
No, that counts, it definitely IS a dual carriageway!
One of those elusive D1s, however short it might be.

This is like the new smart motorways single span gantries. Like these. They have full lane control signals but are only anchored on one side.
Though roads may not put a smile on everyone's face, there is one road that always will: the road to home.
Scratchwood

Post by Scratchwood »

Chris5156 wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2013 20:47 Recently I've come across several locations where the full width of a dual carriageway is lit by one row of very powerful streetlights at one side of the road - nothing in the central reserve, nothing on the opposite verge. I guess this saves installation and maintenance costs, and possibly power consumption too.

There's two on the A1 that I passed last night - one between Tempsford and Sandy (too recent to appear on Streetview) and another here near Hendon. These are managed by the HA and TfL respectively, so it's clearly not one highway authority's trick. The Hendon one is particularly noteworthy as the lights also supposedly light the parallel service roads - a total of four carriageways - but don't seem to do a very good job of lighting much beyond the northbound carriageway in reality.

Is this a new recession-friendly technique for lighting dual carriageways? Are there more examples?
On that London example on the A1 near Hendon, it's interesting that the section in question has a crash barrier separating the London bound A1 from a service road and only then a pavement, whereas as soon as the service road and crash barrier ends and there is a conventional pavement, both sides are lit. I assume it would be considered too dangerous for pedestrians to have a weakly lit pavement with no protection.