Red X means don’t drive in that lane

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

darkcape

Re: Red X means don’t drive in that lane

Post by darkcape »

ais523 wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 23:51
"Take the next exit" has a 90 degree bend (not a 45 degree bend), and is used on MS1/MS2/MS3, not on an MS4. (In theory it could be used on an AMI, but that'd typically only be done on non-lane-drop junctions, with a "take the next exit" sign over lane 1 with a red X on the other lanes.)
I've seen it uses over lane drop junctions in emergency situations - perhaps as it's an important message it's reinforced over all lanes? Or to stop people thinking they can pop back out on to lane 2 before the exit taper to continue?
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

And it appears that camera enforcement of "Red X" signs in smart motorways becomes legal as of today: 3 points and a £100 fine.
ManomayLR
Social Media Admin

Post by ManomayLR »

EpicChef wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2016 19:36
kit wrote:
AndyB wrote:True, but otherwise why distinguish between being advised that the lane is closing and being advised that the lane is closed and you must not go further in that lane?
IMO because it is more readable on an MS4 then Red X's, which are better on gantry mounted signage

Red Xs are less visible on MS4s because they're SQUASHED. In that I mean the lane diagram on the MS4 is smaller because the big text saying Accident for example and the speed limit roundel are all crammed in to the same display.

I would rather more compact verge mounted MS4s than have the motorway infested by gantries, but at least put the Red X near the top of the lane diagram?

All the same, I feel safer with a mandatory lane closure than just an advisory. They should try to make the Xs more prominent on an MS4 but never should they scrap them or switch them out for seemingly advisory wickets.

And by "make the Xs more prominent" I do not in the least mean do it by some idiot's suggestion of adding red wigwags to the whole thing.

Signing changes idiots.tiff

Why? The Highway Code clearly says,
"If red lights flash on a signal in the central reservation or at the side of the road, you MUST NOT go beyond the signal in any lane."
So adding wigwags to an MS4 means that a lane closure may erroneously bring the entire motorway to a stop. Because the rule clearly says, "if red lights flash you must not go beyond the signal in any lane." Which means that those red wigwags themselves would technically warrant a full motorway closure despite the lane diagrams seeing as there are red flashing lights on a verge mounted sign at the side of the road.

It looks like ITS International have not thought about what the Highway Code says about red flashing lights.
Three years on and the wigwags are official... It still baffles me how the red X didn't exist and there were once just red lights.
Though roads may not put a smile on everyone's face, there is one road that always will: the road to home.
mikehindsonevans

Post by mikehindsonevans »

EpicChef wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 22:24
EpicChef wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2016 19:36
kit wrote: IMO because it is more readable on an MS4 then Red X's, which are better on gantry mounted signage

Red Xs are less visible on MS4s because they're SQUASHED. In that I mean the lane diagram on the MS4 is smaller because the big text saying Accident for example and the speed limit roundel are all crammed in to the same display.

I would rather more compact verge mounted MS4s than have the motorway infested by gantries, but at least put the Red X near the top of the lane diagram?

All the same, I feel safer with a mandatory lane closure than just an advisory. They should try to make the Xs more prominent on an MS4 but never should they scrap them or switch them out for seemingly advisory wickets.

And by "make the Xs more prominent" I do not in the least mean do it by some idiot's suggestion of adding red wigwags to the whole thing.

Signing changes idiots.tiff

Why? The Highway Code clearly says,
"If red lights flash on a signal in the central reservation or at the side of the road, you MUST NOT go beyond the signal in any lane."
So adding wigwags to an MS4 means that a lane closure may erroneously bring the entire motorway to a stop. Because the rule clearly says, "if red lights flash you must not go beyond the signal in any lane." Which means that those red wigwags themselves would technically warrant a full motorway closure despite the lane diagrams seeing as there are red flashing lights on a verge mounted sign at the side of the road.

It looks like ITS International have not thought about what the Highway Code says about red flashing lights.
Three years on and the wigwags are official... It still baffles me how the red X didn't exist and there were once just red lights.
"Ee, when I were a lad..... "
Mike Hindson-Evans.
Never argue with a conspiracy theorist.
They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
ManomayLR
Social Media Admin

Post by ManomayLR »

Stevie D wrote: Thu Feb 12, 2015 21:42 Given that these Xs are displayed on VSL gantries that have cameras on, I don't understand why those cameras don't photograph drivers who have illegally passed them, and send them a ticket.
They do now! Or at least they're definitely going to in the near future.
Though roads may not put a smile on everyone's face, there is one road that always will: the road to home.
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

On the M1 this morning

RED X
ENFORCED

No red Xs obviously.

Does this mean the cameras referred to in the previous post are now in place? Or is it just a random initiative?