Red X means don’t drive in that lane

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

AndyB
SABRE Developer

Re: Red X means don’t drive in that lane

Post by AndyB »

Red flashing lights on motorway signals have been in the Highway Code since the late 1970s - the red X was added due to poor compliance, but only a small and diminishing minority can plead ignorance of the wigwags, having passed the test in the years since their introduction.
ais523

Post by ais523 »

The "hollow red X" (i.e. "this lane is for emergency use only") that's used on hard shoulders doesn't have corresponding wigwags. Does anyone know how much red X noncompliance is illegal use of a hard shoulder on DHSR motorways, as opposed to illegal use of a temporarily closed running lane?

(It's worth noting that illegal use of the hard shoulder is apparently fairly common on some non-smart motorways, too.)
AndyB
SABRE Developer

Post by AndyB »

I think that's because it's using the current X from the lane control signals, which are slightly uncommon. Wigwags would probably draw more attention?
kit
Banned

Post by kit »

AndyB wrote:I think that's because it's using the current X from the lane control signals, which are slightly uncommon. Wigwags would probably draw more attention?
I think we need to be realistic here, I know on the news they say people are using them "by mistake" but I would cynically suggest that it is often a mistake that happens to be advantageous to the (Audi or BMW) driver.

I still remember the first time I drove on a smart motorway, the M42, and the signals were as clear then as they are today. With more and more smart miles the majority of drivers should be familiar.
I didn't want to believe my Dad was stealing from his job as a road worker. But when I got home, all the signs were there.
Fenlander

Post by Fenlander »

We've spent years and years telling people not to drive on the hard shoulder and how dangerous a place it was to be yet still people parked on it for various reasons and others used it as a private lane, that kind of deliberate misuse was always going to continue but now with the added numptiness of not knowing/misunderstanding the various incarnations of smart motorways.
darkcape

Post by darkcape »

I saw an interesting report today suggesting that drivers were in some instances 25% more likely to strike a cone taper when no red x's are set to protect the works. Also anecdotally hearing that HE use of red x for roadworks varies greatly across the country. Northern control centres far less likely to use red x than down south. From personal experience I've never had an issue with requesting red x's to protect lane closures.
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
kit
Banned

Post by kit »

darkcape wrote:I saw an interesting report today suggesting that drivers were in some instances 25% more likely to strike a cone taper when no red x's are set to protect the works. Also anecdotally hearing that HE use of red x for roadworks varies greatly across the country. Northern control centres far less likely to use red x than down south. From personal experience I've never had an issue with requesting red x's to protect lane closures.
One thing I've wondered, if red Xs are requested to protect roadworks is there an effort made to start the roadworks shortly after the gantry - or is the start predetermined and the nearest red Xs to the start are illuminated?

Anecdotally they seem well used, and observed, when used for overnight roadworks on the M40.
I didn't want to believe my Dad was stealing from his job as a road worker. But when I got home, all the signs were there.
darkcape

Post by darkcape »

kit wrote: One thing I've wondered, if red Xs are requested to protect roadworks is there an effort made to start the roadworks shortly after the gantry - or is the start predetermined and the nearest red Xs to the start are illuminated?

Anecdotally they seem well used, and observed, when used for overnight roadworks on the M40.
Start of cones usually dictates which gantries are lit. The gantries are frequent enough that it doesn't matter.
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
ManomayLR
Social Media Admin

Post by ManomayLR »

On the M1- signs showing use/don't use hard shoulder just gone- red X compliance very good.
Though roads may not put a smile on everyone's face, there is one road that always will: the road to home.
J--M--B

Post by J--M--B »

There are reported to have been delays in the Clyde Tunnel this morning.

Fault at Clyde Tunnel causing tailbacks onto the M8
Motorists on social media suggested the 'fault' was a red cross showing a closed lane despite the lane being open - leading traffic to slow as cars moved into single file.
JMB
Fort William
http://www.mbriscoe.me.uk

"Give me the third best technology. The second best won't be ready in time. The best will never be ready." Robert Watson-Watt
ManomayLR
Social Media Admin

Post by ManomayLR »

Ooh.. I don't know what could have caused it but can't HE sort out the gantry malfunction from the RCC and display a message that the lanes are open?
Though roads may not put a smile on everyone's face, there is one road that always will: the road to home.
RichardA35
Committee Member

Post by RichardA35 »

EpicChef wrote:Ooh.. I don't know what could have caused it but can't HE sort out the gantry malfunction from the RCC and display a message that the lanes are open?
Unlikely given the location. Message sign also unlikely to be much use if only displayed south of Carlisle.....
Helvellyn

Post by Helvellyn »

RichardA35 wrote:
EpicChef wrote:Ooh.. I don't know what could have caused it but can't HE sort out the gantry malfunction from the RCC and display a message that the lanes are open?
Unlikely given the location. Message sign also unlikely to be much use if only displayed south of Carlisle.....
Even if they could I think that putting up with a day of congestion is preferable to having any message that says "ignore red Xs", even as a one-off.
ManomayLR
Social Media Admin

Post by ManomayLR »

Helvellyn wrote:
RichardA35 wrote:
Even if they could I think that putting up with a day of congestion is preferable to having any message that says "ignore red Xs", even as a one-off.
Actually, contradicting myself here, it's very true that using a message saying ignore red X could be an issue when legitimate red Xs are set in the future.
RichardA35
Committee Member

Post by RichardA35 »

Where's the "Whoosh" smiley as this one has obviously gone straight over your head? HE do England, this was in Scotland....
M4 Cardiff

Post by M4 Cardiff »

There were some problems on the m6 southbound this morning, with the motorway closed at Spaghetti. In advance of this there were massive queues. On the lead in to Spaghetti, the lanes were funnelled down using red X . Not surprisingly, there were an odd few queue jumpers using the closed lane . One would assume that for whatever reason, the gantry mounted cameras that overlook a single lane each ,cannot be set to detect someone using a closed lane.
Driving thrombosis caused this accident......a clot behind the wheel.
Junction21

Post by Junction21 »

M4 Cardiff wrote:There were some problems on the m6 southbound this morning, with the motorway closed at Spaghetti. In advance of this there were massive queues. On the lead in to Spaghetti, the lanes were funnelled down using red X . Not surprisingly, there were an odd few queue jumpers using the closed lane . One would assume that for whatever reason, the gantry mounted cameras that overlook a single lane each ,cannot be set to detect someone using a closed lane.
I believe the gantry mounted cameras are linked to the variable speed limit displays, so if a red 'X' was showing it would detect a vehicle driving down a closed lane automatically, in much the same way as they record speeding etc.
ais523

Post by ais523 »

IIRC most older VMS enforcement cameras can't tell which lane a vehicle's in. That issue's been fixed with the most recent versions, but there are still lots of the older cameras around.
ManomayLR
Social Media Admin

Post by ManomayLR »

Recently I saw a verge mounted MS4 on the M25 closing the ALR motorway. Three HUGE red Xs with flashing red lights and capital letters:

Code: Select all

STOP
ROAD CLOSED
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

EpicChef wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 17:08 Recently I saw a verge mounted MS4 on the M25 closing the ALR motorway. Three HUGE red Xs
And our survey said... [NASTY ELECTRONIC NOISE] :twisted: