Beverley Southern Relief Road - Signage Rationalisation

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

A4174_Adam

Beverley Southern Relief Road - Signage Rationalisation

Post by A4174_Adam »

Some exciting news round my parts. The Beverley Southern Relief Road, named Minster Way, has finally opened between A164 and A1174 with the idea being that it should divert much of the traffic that currently makes its way through the town's narrow streets.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-31841034

Prior to this opening, I noticed a lot of the primary route signage being changed in the surrounding area. Not a strange thing with a new route being created, but the one thing that has struck me is that the signs are now smaller and contain less info. Signs for Beverley Racecourse and the local army barracks have now been moved onto separate, smaller signs, placed ahead of the main junction signs. Great, if you're trying to make the signs easier to read - but the other thing that has happened, is that the junction names (appearing at the top of the signs) have been removed - so such glories as "Killingwoldgraves Roundabout" & "Dog Kennel Lane Roundabout" have now disappeared from our local lexicon.

I understand making signs less cluttered, but taking away useful names which can serve as a reference point? Is there a general directive on this type of thing?
Stesee

Re: Beverley Southern Relief Road - Signage Rationalisation

Post by Stesee »

I know. Walkington has also disappered and Howden is there instead. when the road does not lead to Howden.