Isolated fuel pump

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Owain
Elected Committee Member

Isolated fuel pump

Post by Owain »

I thought this curiosity might interest people in this section.

It's at Buncrana in Co. Donegal, and was obviously part of a small roadside fuel halt of the kind I'm more used to seeing in Italian town centres. It's obviously been out of use for a long time. The pavement and road through the town centre all look fairly recently redeveloped, which makes me wonder why they never took the rusty old pump away.
Attachments
Buncrana pump.jpg
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
KeithW

Re: Isolated fuel pump

Post by KeithW »

They used to be common in rural areas. In the 70's you often had to go into a shop to get someone to sell you petrol. These days you are more likely to shop in a petrol station. Most of these rural stations had to close when new regulations fpr storage of petrol came in. Some of the pumps were left as features or simply because nobody wanted to pay for it.
OLD GIT

Post by OLD GIT »

Possibly either of the two Lochaberites might either remember of have a photo of the old hand pump which stood just before the right hand bend at the back of Keppoch ( on the now B8008) .I've had a look on Google maps ,and there's now a Phone Kiosk in place of the pump, and a Guest house etc in place of the shop ( but that's from memory of at least 40 years ago).
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

KeithW wrote:They used to be common in rural areas. In the 70's you often had to go into a shop to get someone to sell you petrol.
In Orkney 10 years ago (certainly on the more rural islands) you had to go into the shop to get petrol! I don't know if the situation's changed now; I imagine possibly not. Although I do hear that my island got its first (and only?) ATM since I left. (They also got 512kbps ADSL broadband activated the day after we moved away...)
IAN

Post by IAN »

Several on north coast of Scotland - You go into the shop and ask someone to come out and serve you. E,g Tongue, BettyHill, Reay.

Ian (M5 Driver)
AKA M5 Driver
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

I haven't seen a kerbside pump for quite some years now, they must have been a collision risk for passing vehicles. Was there still one in Llanberis High Street some 10 years ago ?

Disappeared somewhat earlier were those mounted on large hinges high on the wall of the roadside building, which could be swung round high over the heads of pedestrians to fuel vehicles stopped at the kerbside. There was still one in Beaconsfiled on the old A40 in the late 1980s.

Found one.

http://www.fotolibra.com/gallery/955535 ... vance_desc

Hand pumped I haven't seen since the late 1960s, in the middle of Dartmoor where there possibly was no electricity supply.
Last edited by WHBM on Tue Apr 05, 2016 18:52, edited 1 time in total.
rhyds

Post by rhyds »

Bala still boasts two kerbside filling stations, along with attended service.
Built for comfort, not speed.
brummie_rob

Post by brummie_rob »

rhyds wrote:Bala still boasts two kerbside filling stations, along with attended service.
Here is one https://goo.gl/maps/z4RNUw6omN22

I can't understand how this one works as I can't see a shop. I thought it was an old station when I drove through recently. The Texaco down the far end is bigger. There was about a 4-5p premium over the normal garages in the area for using the attended service.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

brummie_rob wrote:
rhyds wrote:Bala still boasts two kerbside filling stations, along with attended service.

I can't understand how this one works as I can't see a shop. I thought it was an old station when I drove through recently. The Texaco down the far end is bigger. There was about a 4-5p premium over the normal garages in the area for using the attended service.
There is a garage sign on the wall above the pump and the garage is just round the corner on the left.
rhyds

Post by rhyds »

Yes, there's a repair garage down the side road to the left and a door in to the shop.
brummie_rob

Post by brummie_rob »

KeithW wrote:
brummie_rob wrote:

There is a garage sign on the wall above the pump and the garage is just round the corner on the left.
Ah yes I can see on further investigation. I reckon the amount of drive-offs must be high though considering there is no CCTV?
rhyds

Post by rhyds »

brummie_rob wrote: Ah yes I can see on further investigation. I reckon the amount of drive-offs must be high though considering there is no CCTV?
Not really from what I understand. Considering the traffic on Bala high street you wouldn't get far anyway!
J--M--B

Post by J--M--B »

There are a number of community owned filling stations (or at least petrol pumps) in the Highlands and Islands.
To show Highland Fuel's continued support and commitment to the Western Isles, we have extended our '10 pence per litre off petrol and diesel' promotion to Ravenspoint's customers. Customers just need to take their Highland Fuels heating oil or tractor diesel delivery note along to Ravenspoint and claim 10 pence per litre of their next fill of petrol or diesel (maximum fill is 50 litres per delivery note).
VIDEO: Ravenspoint fuel pump officially opened
JMB
Fort William
http://www.mbriscoe.me.uk

"Give me the third best technology. The second best won't be ready in time. The best will never be ready." Robert Watson-Watt
BeenEverywhere

Post by BeenEverywhere »

Not quite roadside, but these were in use a couple of years ago, think they might still be.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.17368 ... 56!6m1!1e1

Pretty sure this one's now out of use
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.10676 ... 312!8i6656

I caught an article the other day (can't find it now) about a village garage that had been selling petrol for upwards of 100 years from it's kerbside pump, but had had to stop due to a lot of near misses. :roll:
Been everywhere... can't remember any of it

Was fun though :laugh:
rhyds

Post by rhyds »

J--M--B wrote:There are a number of community owned filling stations (or at least petrol pumps) in the Highlands and Islands.
To show Highland Fuel's continued support and commitment to the Western Isles, we have extended our '10 pence per litre off petrol and diesel' promotion to Ravenspoint's customers. Customers just need to take their Highland Fuels heating oil or tractor diesel delivery note along to Ravenspoint and claim 10 pence per litre of their next fill of petrol or diesel (maximum fill is 50 litres per delivery note).
VIDEO: Ravenspoint fuel pump officially opened
I stopped at the Cluanie Inn on my way back from Skye for fuel once, who I believe are supplied by Highland Fuels
Attachments
71efb699dd21c4973bef959d990c1bc0.jpg
brummie_rob

Post by brummie_rob »

BeenEverywhere wrote:
Pretty sure this one's now out of use
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.10676 ... 312!8i6656

I was alerted to this one when I friend uploaded a picture on Facebook the other day presumably as he was in the town. The prices were 105 and 106 so I guess it still operates as these prices aren't too dissimilar to elsewhere.
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

rhyds wrote:I stopped at the Cluanie Inn on my way back from Skye for fuel once, who I believe are supplied by Highland Fuels
Nice car. I always liked that colour.
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
rhyds

Post by rhyds »

Owain wrote:
rhyds wrote:I stopped at the Cluanie Inn on my way back from Skye for fuel once, who I believe are supplied by Highland Fuels
Nice car. I always liked that colour.
Thanks. It was a replacement for an earlier 2000/W 45 1.8. It wasn't quite so good a machine as that one as it was a 1.4 and suffered badly from MG Rover's "cheapening" strategy of the time.
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

There used to be two petrol pumps on Egremont Main St( Cumbria) until the mid eighties. You'd pull up and go into the garage, which used to repair cars, and ask someone to put petrol into your car. Quaint even then, and the garage had the traditional clock face petrol pumps from the fifties.
Boring82

Post by Boring82 »

I was at Blackheath (Surrey not London) Fete yesterday, and came across this in someone's fence line.