Where to get a pair of traffic signals?

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Gabs

Where to get a pair of traffic signals?

Post by Gabs »

Hi,

I'm new here, and have a big interest in street lighting, with a collection of three Thorn Gamma 6 lanterns, and one WRTL 2015 lantern, I am also interested in traffic signals, I have always anted a set of them for my collection, does anyone know where I could get some from, apart from eBay? I have an Arduino Microcontroller, and would love to put it to good use, by making it control traffic signals

Thanks in advance,

Gabriel :D
Focus 2

Re: Where to get a pair of traffic signals?

Post by Focus 2 »

I always wondered what happened to the sets of tin lanterns complete with "WAIT" and "CROSS(NOW)" pedestrian crossings that were still common in London as late as 1984 until they were replaced on mass.

Did any end up in private collections or were they all scrapped?
Chris584

Post by Chris584 »

I have not seen any crossing lights in collections but am sure one or two exist (hopefully), and I regularly watch on eBay for any ATM/SGE lights or lenses.

I have an ATM two aspect unit with the middle area where the amber light would go just plain (not plated over), and painted black and white, but it is in a bit of a state with no lenses and the base of the lantern is missing. If anyone knows where I can get a base please let me know. I intend to restore this lantern head and I have a plain red lens to fit the top light and a green for the bottom but no white lens. I have heard that in some places the CROSS light was green but have never seen one, however, when the job starts I may well try to make masks for the lenses to show WAIT and CROSS to at least give an impression of a crossing light. Again if anyone out there knows of a white lens, even if it's an SGE type, I'd be happy to hear about it.
jw24

Post by jw24 »

Where abouts in the UK are you? I'm sure there will be a signal depot realively local who would probably give you some old signal heads