Street light neglect

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Patrick Harper

Re: Street light neglect

Post by Patrick Harper »

I think street lighting equipment should be widespread on dual carriageways, but only used at junctions and in poor weather conditions - heavy rain or fog, when the visibility of headlights assisting in lane changes is inhibited.
Jamesabout29

Post by Jamesabout29 »

This isn't neglect as such, however here in Essex at 1:00am, when the streetlights go out, they all go out at once, they'd be better of switching every third light off a minute at a time until all are off to allow peoples' eyes to adapt. Coming back on at 5:00 is not so bad, since the majority of the lighting is SOX and so warms up gradually.
Railway, road, sky, football, rugby enthusiast since 2001 ;)

Proud to share a birthday with the M25!!
haymansafc

Post by haymansafc »

AutoUnder wrote:Also, I have seen them put up new columns very recently but they are not LED either! Does anyone know why this is?
About a year/18 months ago ago, the M53 got treated to new columns and lighting between junctions 8 and 9 - replacing columns that had been there throughout my lifetime. I was half-expecting the replacements to be LED. Do you know what was installed instead...

These...

:shock:

Now, that was something I wasn't expecting…

Yes, that's right... Brand new Phillips MA's...! Precisely the lanterns which have been removed en-masse on our motorways since pretty much the turn of the century. Not on the M53 though - it's treated to brand new lanterns which are several decades old!
The journey is never over until the arrival.
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

Looks like 1980s Holland with those brackets.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
scott125

Post by scott125 »

haymansafc wrote:
AutoUnder wrote:Also, I have seen them put up new columns very recently but they are not LED either! Does anyone know why this is?
About a year/18 months ago ago, the M53 got treated to new columns and lighting between junctions 8 and 9 - replacing columns that had been there throughout my lifetime. I was half-expecting the replacements to be LED. Do you know what was installed instead...

These...

:shock:

Now, that was something I wasn't expecting…

Yes, that's right... Brand new Phillips MA's...! Precisely the lanterns which have been removed en-masse on our motorways since pretty much the turn of the century. Not on the M53 though - it's treated to brand new lanterns which are several decades old!
In Glasgow they have been installing MAs too here and there .
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

Copeland have found a novel way to save money on lights. There are some very old concrete standards on a fifties council estate whose lanterns were replaced in the eighties. Rather than replace the entire lantern, the council have simply replaced the bulb with LED lights. Also some concrete has been saved.
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

Interestingly enough, the D2 section of the A69 from the Newcastle- Northumberland border to the A1 still mostly uses the same columns and lanterns from when the road opened 41 years ago. Either these have proven to be very reliable and durable, or the HA hasn't got round to standardising them with the rest of Newcastle.
Patrick Harper

Post by Patrick Harper »

Glenn A wrote:Interestingly enough, the D2 section of the A69 from the Newcastle- Northumberland border to the A1 still mostly uses the same columns and lanterns from when the road opened 41 years ago. Either these have proven to be very reliable and durable, or the HA hasn't got round to standardising them with the rest of Newcastle.
A quick GSV check confirms that the columns were replaced a few years ago and the new lanterns are LED-based. Highway authorities generally don't co-operate with counties on lighting designs unless it's for a new road scheme that involves both, which would explain why on the east side of the A1 there are still modern HID lanterns.
Lamp&SignCollector

Post by Lamp&SignCollector »

AutoUnder wrote:I don't know if anyone else has noticed this but street lighting on the motorways in the north of the UK (where I live) have been neglected very badly, hardly any working and midnight switch offs are just dangerous! I have been on the M3 down south and that is pretty much gleaming at night with LEDs. Why not in the north? Also, I have seen them put up new columns very recently but they are not LED either! Does anyone know why this is?
I know the M61/A666 towards Preston/Bolton has had no lights for a while and due to the works on the M60 (Converting to a 'Smart Motorway')the lights and CCTV were off (Cameras are still off), I think the ones on the M61 were switched off due to cuts on funding and new reflective road studs/Cat's eyes were laid down to help drivers but it's nothing to help drivers see objects such as sleeveless cones or debris that may be in a live lane. It seems to be a common problem up north I agree.