Downgraded Roads with Old Signs

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

jonnyf90

Re: Downgraded Roads with Old Signs

Post by jonnyf90 »

JDY777 wrote:New sign, old number!
Superb! Probably a remake of an existing outdated sign? Hasn't been an M41 for 15 years or more?
Una vida, bien vivida.
Veni, vidi, vici.
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

The A74 is still signposted from Longtown.
Helvellyn

Post by Helvellyn »

Former A584, still just about visible on the sign although not painted as such. Possibly not a candidate for this thread since it was replaced since Google went past, same style but obviously no A584 (or B5288 either IIRC).
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Helvellyn wrote:Former A584, still just about visible on the sign although not painted as such. Possibly not a candidate for this thread since it was replaced since Google went past, same style but obviously no A584 (or B5288 either IIRC).
A594 actually. Been there (it's in Greystoke) seen it, and verified it against the old maps.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Helvellyn

Post by Helvellyn »

Chris Bertram wrote:
Helvellyn wrote:Former A584, still just about visible on the sign although not painted as such. Possibly not a candidate for this thread since it was replaced since Google went past, same style but obviously no A584 (or B5288 either IIRC).
A594 actually. Been there (it's in Greystoke) seen it, and verified it against the old maps.
I really should know, my parents live there. Oops.
Gareth Thomas

Post by Gareth Thomas »

This sign on the B2011 (ex-A20) into Folkestone.
My journey with testicular cancer!
https://garethishalfnuts.wordpress.com/

"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads..."
-Dr Emmett Brown
multiraider2

Post by multiraider2 »

On the A2, this sign hangs on to old ways.
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

Truvelo wrote:Does the former N1 in Ireland still retain its green signs or have they finally been replaced?
Yes, there are quite a few in Drogheda and the odd one in Dublin, apparently leading to Google and myself to believe that the road is still the N1, although I was corrected on Sabre and told that it's not.

EDIT: The former N7 in Limerick.
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
chriscumbria

Post by chriscumbria »

Glenn A wrote:As you drive into Heddon on the B6318, there's still this sign which must be early seventies that still reads A69 Hexham, A69 Newcastle, even though the village was by passed in 1976. Also in Thursby there's still a battered sign that reads A595 Cockermouth that has never been changed since the eighties.
A couple of other examples on the A595: This very tatty Worboys sign on South Street in Egremont, and an old fingerpost sign as you leave Bolton Low Houses
agc2070

Post by agc2070 »

In Hamstreet, Kent there are still a number of unbracketed A2070 signs and even a B2070 sign (the A2070 has been the bypass since 1994 and it hasn't been the B2070 since the 70s).

Signs on Cheriton High Street (Folkestone) and Cherry Garden Avenue still show 'A20.' One is now the B2064 and the other is the A2034. Presumably the original A20 route was 'hidden' to keep people on the M20 when it's congested.
si404

Post by si404 »

JDY777 wrote:New sign, old number!
In a similar vein (the road it is on post-dates the downgrading of the East Cross Route to A12)
"“Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations" Thomas Jefferson
Brenley Corner

Post by Brenley Corner »

multiraider2 wrote:On the A2, this sign hangs on to old ways.
That sign was put there when that section of A2 was widened to four lanes within the last 10 years - at least 5 years after the A102(M) ceased to exist. Obviously a direct replacement for the original with nil thought.

Tony
Brenley Corner: congesting traffic since 1963; discussing roads since 2002
bucephalus

Post by bucephalus »

I spotted a yellow 'temporary' M63 on Trafford Wharf Road near the Man Utd ground today:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/clouddrive/sha ... 8HJQXdMXcC
Richardf

Post by Richardf »

Couple still exist (as recently as the last streetview update anyway) at the former junction between the A35, A37 and A354 in Dorchester. This ceassed to carry these numbers in late 1988!

https://goo.gl/maps/vKVH9pCrcrJ2 On the weymouth arm of the junction

https://goo.gl/maps/w7sS1Ginxxy On the Honiton arm. Faded but can still read 'Honiton A35'

https://goo.gl/maps/N1hvYKGE6eJ2 The Yeovil arm (A37)

The 4th arm counterpart for Poole A35 has been removed at some point
My latest Road Photos https://flic.kr/s/aHsktQHcMB
StockburyRoundabout

Post by StockburyRoundabout »

Sorry about somewhat bumping this forum after nearly 3 years!

There is an old A30 sign on the now bypassed stretch after works to bypass Goss Moor and the notorious Iron Bridge.

This is despite the road being detrunked nearly 13 years ago on the opening of the new DC and now being an unclassified road and under control of Cornwall Council.

This has possibly been kept in by Cornwall Council to direct Road Users East (towards Bodmin) or West towards Victoria interchange, which this sign is quite close to.

Or it may be a matter of cost cutting by CC.

The sign can clearly still be seen on streetview (which is shown to have been captured in July 2011 but a recent trip confirms it still exists - I will attempt to get pictures): https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.42952 ... 312!8i6656
Last edited by StockburyRoundabout on Fri Jan 10, 2020 21:35, edited 1 time in total.
Now with added Grade Separation!
M5Lenzar
Banned

Post by M5Lenzar »

Suffolk CC have done a fairly good job in terms of patching A45 signs.

They missed this one, though!
StockburyRoundabout

M5Lenzar wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 19:28 Suffolk CC have done a fairly good job in terms of patching A45 signs.

At least that is not a newly made sign, or at least it doesn't look it, installed in works AFTER the road was downgraded caused by not checking (possibly out of laziness) and due to the desire to cut costs and disruption that would come about if the problem were to be rectified. This exactly what happened here - The A102(M) was downgraded in 1999 and the works here took place in 2007-08.
multiraider2 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2017 17:17 On the A2, this sign hangs on to old ways.
Jeni
Banned

Post by Jeni »

StockburyRoundabout wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 19:02 Sorry about somewhat bumping this forum after nearly 3 years!

There is an old A30 sign on the now bypassed stretch after works to bypass Goss Moor and the notorious Iron Bridge.

This is despite the road being detrunked nearly 13 years ago on the opening of the new DC and now being an unclassified road and under control of Cornwall Council.

This has possibly been kept in by Cornwall Council to direct Road Users East (towards Bodmin) or West towards Victoria interchange, which this sign is quite close to.

The sign can clearly still be seen on streetview (which is shown to have been captured in July 2011 but a recent trip confirms it still exists - I will attempt to get pictures): https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.42952 ... 312!8i6656
Throughout Cornwall on the various bits of old A30 there are loads of these if you know where to look.

There was one still in Indian Queens until very recently (I believe the A39 ones still exist though)

Summercourt is still thoroughly signed as A30 last time I checked too.
MotorwayPlannerM21

Post by MotorwayPlannerM21 »

StockburyRoundabout wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 21:55
M5Lenzar wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 19:28 Suffolk CC have done a fairly good job in terms of patching A45 signs.

At least that is not a newly made sign, or at least it doesn't look it, installed in works AFTER the road was downgraded caused by not checking (possibly out of laziness) and due to the desire to cut costs and disruption that would come about if the problem were to be rectified. This exactly what happened here - The A102(M) was downgraded in 1999 and the works here took place in 2007-08.
multiraider2 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2017 17:17 On the A2, this sign hangs on to old ways.
The really strange thing is that the Blackwall Tunnel has NEVER been classified as the A102(M), that was just the classification the Blackwall Tunnel Southern Approach and the East Cross Route; the actual tunnel was always just the A102. There was never a height restriction on the A102(M) in any case so that sign is wrong on all counts.
"All roads lead to Rome"
What about the M25?

The A205 - The road to... oh wait I should've turned right back there!

From the SABRE Wiki: A102(M) :
... Read More
StockburyRoundabout

Jeni wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 22:10
StockburyRoundabout wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 19:02 Sorry about somewhat bumping this forum after nearly 3 years!

Throughout Cornwall on the various bits of old A30 there are loads of these if you know where to look.

There was one still in Indian Queens until very recently (I believe the A39 ones still exist though)

Summercourt is still thoroughly signed as A30 last time I checked too.
There is still a sign on the old A39 in St Columb Road according to the last available street view (2016) https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.39637 ... 312!8i6656

I cannot find any in Indian Queens in the latest street view (2010) but I may be looking in the wrong places.

Some still exist in the area of Summercourt:
There is a distance sign west of the village (2011): https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.36651 ... 312!8i6656
And a sign towards where the old alignment joins the DC (2011), but this may be as part of the bypass due to the angle it's at: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.36334 ... 312!8i6656