What Are These Strange Poles?

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

MotorwayPlannerM21

What Are These Strange Poles?

Post by MotorwayPlannerM21 »

I found these on the M2 between junction 5 and junction 6. If anyone knows what they're for please tell me. To me they look like old signposts but what would they be doing in the middle of a motorway?
Sorry that they're on their sides, for some reason it rotated them!
"All roads lead to Rome"
What about the M25?

The A205 - The road to... oh wait I should've turned right back there!
Ben302

Re: What Are These Strange Poles?

Post by Ben302 »

I don't think they are original to the motorway as I saw them back in 1990 when the motorway there was completely reconstructed including the central reservation which was stripped back and rebuilt, my guess is that they're hazard markers left over from the construction work.
tom66

Post by tom66 »

I've seen these on roads at relatively high altitudes. I've always assumed it's related to height or gradient, maybe a warning to drivers about going off route, but I'm not sure.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

tom66 wrote:I've seen these on roads at relatively high altitudes. I've always assumed it's related to height or gradient, maybe a warning to drivers about going off route, but I'm not sure.
They're snow poles that you're thinking of.... designed to locate the road when snow's covering everything. I've been very glad of them on occasion when driving up towards Alston in wintertime...

The M2 ones definitely aren't those...!
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps