Irish traffic light variants

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

kc1

Irish traffic light variants

Post by kc1 »

First post in a while - hello again!

I know the Irish signs manual provides for arrow, u-turn and bus traffic signals. I've never seen these in use though, and was wondering if anyone else has?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-04-03 at 16.05.01.png
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Re: Irish traffic light variants

Post by c2R »

kc1 wrote:First post in a while - hello again!

I know the Irish signs manual provides for arrow, u-turn and bus traffic signals. I've never seen these in use though, and was wondering if anyone else has?
I've never seen the U turn one, but pretty sure I've seen the other two variants. Although sometimes the right turn arrow has a red top ball, orange middle balland green arrow, and I've also seen an orange/green arrow combination with no red, linked to the right of a normal three colour balls.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

There's a u-turn one on the N11 Stillorgan Bypass southbound, by the Applegreen garage.

I don't think I've ever seen all three lights have arrows.

EDIT: or is it only the markings?
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Cork uses red & amber arrows as standard now. They also have flashing green man at intersections. Unheard of in most of our archipelago.
Focus 2

Post by Focus 2 »

Seen the arrow lights in, I think was Hammersmith bus station in London.

Never seen the other two though.
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

kc1 wrote:I know the Irish signs manual provides for arrow, u-turn and bus traffic signals. I've never seen these in use though, and was wondering if anyone else has?
I have now!

RJDG14

Post by RJDG14 »

I wasn't aware that Ireland used these variants, but knowing what the roads are like there, I can entirely imagine them having these. I plan to go to the Republic on holiday later this year so I should be able to say if I saw any once I've been.
RJDG14

See my Geograph profile here - http://www.geograph.org.uk/profile/74193
The Swindon Files - Swindon's modern history - http://rjdg14.altervista.org/swindon/

----
If I break a policy designed only to protect me and nobody else, have I really broken anything?
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

Here's a bus one: green | red

Also, the Stillorgan Bypass example upthread has a u-turn symbol over the green lens only.