What happens to Road Signs after they are taken down?

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

BeenEverywhere

Re: What happens to Road Signs after they are taken down?

Post by BeenEverywhere »

Decent heap of them in an auction here - https://www.bidspotter.co.uk/en-gb/auct ... 8600b92326
Been everywhere... can't remember any of it

Was fun though :laugh:
Gareth Thomas

Post by Gareth Thomas »

chris486 wrote:The City Centre is Manchester but if you look closely at this sign you will notice it once pointed to Hollins College - someone has painted it over and turned it upside down to reuse it!

This sign won't be there any longer - it pointed down Bonsall Street which no longer exists. Maybe it has found a third life somewhere.
Do I sense an A6144(M)-style rescue mission? :-P
My journey with testicular cancer!
https://garethishalfnuts.wordpress.com/

"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads..."
-Dr Emmett Brown
RichardA626

Post by RichardA626 »

Camden Council stores it's surplus signs in Kingsway Underpass, according this page.

http://underground-history.co.uk/kwupass.php
Beware of the trickster on the roof
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

I managed to rescue several signs from a junction in Leigh that was being upgraded. I emailed the contractor and the project manager arranged for them to be kept aside... they are currently all in my back yard.
Voie Rapide / Mótarbhealaí
Updated 1 November 2019!
Junglecarz

Post by Junglecarz »

There is always a hoarder who has a few. Tends to be the person with a bunch of abandoned cars outside their house.
Duncan macknight
Committee Member

Post by Duncan macknight »

They recently replaced a few of the A9 road signs around Tomatin and I found myself asking the same question! Then a while later I went for a drive to Kingussie and a look at the A9 Spey Bridge and found a scrap depot with all the old road signs available for purchase!
M11(A14(M))

Post by M11(A14(M)) »

Hi all, this is my first post so apologies if this is in the wrong place. Being a local to the A14 and watching the new expressway being built I have wondered if it’s possible to get any of the old signs that will be replaced eventually as I’d quite like one just as a little piece of history. So what is the best way to get hold of one of the signs or is there a place where these go where I might be able to find them?
Motorways travelled on so far: M1, M2, M3, M4, M5, M6, M6 Toll, M11, M18, M20, M23, M25, M26, M27, M42, M62, M180, A1(M), A3(M), A14(M)