Can anyone identify these?

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Lamp&SignCollector

Can anyone identify these?

Post by Lamp&SignCollector »

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.45731 ... 56!6m1!1e1
At this zebra crossing these lights have been here for years, I am guessing they are from the 1970's to 1980's but I have never seen them working until recently when going past, the light shown in the link was actually working with a standard household energy saving light bulb inside, I am not too sure if the other light on the other side works. Were these used to illuminate the crossing to pedestrians?
Norfolktolancashire

Re: Can anyone identify these?

Post by Norfolktolancashire »

I'm sure they are lighting, used in an area of poor or no streetlighting.
Pendlemac

Post by Pendlemac »

I've seen them elsewhere ( although looking less of a temporary fix ) and I thought they were there to show up the crossing markings as a warning for drivers.

Norfolktolancashire, that seems resonable. But why would they would be needed on that crossing as pulling back in Streetview shows a streetlight at the crossing. :confused:
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

They're to light up the crossing place. I too have seen them at other locations. They're fairly rare now as the modern method is to have a proper streetlight with the belisha beacon attached to the same post. Some have the pole actually going through the belisha beacon globe, which looks crap.
Last edited by Gareth on Mon Apr 17, 2017 23:50, edited 1 time in total.
Lamp&SignCollector

Gareth wrote:They're to light up the crossing place. I too have seen them at other locations. They're fairly rare now as the modern method is to have a proper streetlight with the with belisha beacon attached to the same post. Some have the pole actually going through the belisha beacon globe, which looks crap.
I have seen the Belisha beacons with the street light going through it as well, I think it is a terrible design, all you see is 4 tiny LED's at the top and bottom of the circle and they are nowhere near as bright as the good old traditional internally illuminated globes. These floodlights on the pole actually do a better job than the streetlights (Which are LED) and illuminate the crossing well, they have actually been maintained recently after years of neglect which surprised me as they look very old.
Lamp&SignCollector

Pendlemac wrote:I've seen them elsewhere ( although looking less of a temporary fix ) and I thought they were there to show up the crossing markings as a warning for drivers.

Norfolktolancashire, that seems resonable. But why would they would be needed on that crossing as pulling back in Streetview shows a streetlight at the crossing. :confused:
There is street lighting at the crossing but it is those very poor LED's and plus the trees on the island tend to grow over some of the streetlights, blocking any light from street lights, maybe why these were installed? These do look temporary but have been there since the poles were installed which I believe was the 70's/80's and are still there today and are being maintained which I think is amazing as everything else seems to be LED these days...
Lamp&SignCollector

Norfolktolancashire wrote:I'm sure they are lighting, used in an area of poor or no streetlighting.
Yes the street lighting is poor here with those trees and especially it is now LED it is even worse! This may be why they have actually bothered to maintain the lamp(s), to improve the lighting of the crossing.
A4174_Guy

Post by A4174_Guy »

Lamp&SignCollector wrote:https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.45731 ... 56!6m1!1e1
At this zebra crossing these lights have been here for years, I am guessing they are from the 1970's to 1980's but I have never seen them working until recently when going past, the light shown in the link was actually working with a standard household energy saving light bulb inside, I am not too sure if the other light on the other side works. Were these used to illuminate the crossing to pedestrians?
We used to have a fair few of these back in Bristol in the 1980s, with a spotlight type lamp combined with the actual Belisha Beacon itself. I recall they were pretty much all replaced in the 1990s.
Reading

Post by Reading »

How about this - https://goo.gl/maps/TYY8m4ye3NN2 it lights up pale Blue at night