Photocell with surveillance camera in?

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

brianw

Photocell with surveillance camera in?

Post by brianw »

The person who forwarded this photo to me said that this luminaire's normal part-night photocell was temporarily replaced with the one shown in the photo.
photocell.jpg
You'll notice the 360 degree window section in the middle of the device, containing what appeared (to the photographer) to be a camera lens behind. It was installed by men wearing smart clothing, using a very clean cherry picker without any livery (ie. seemingly not the usual council lighting contractor). Luminaire function continued, but was dusk to dawn.

Hypothetically speaking, it would not be impossible for something this size to easily contain a mini CCTV camera board, lens, and SD card DVR inside. The camera orientation could be set during installation. When later decommissioned, the SD card surveillance content could then be downloaded and viewed. Indeed, the device was duly removed a couple of weeks later.

Anyone seen one of these? Anyone know exactly what it is? (Incidentally, the area concerned is not using radio controlled or Smart photocell devices - or even trialling them - so it's definitely not such a device).
KeithW

Re: Photocell with surveillance camera in?

Post by KeithW »

It seems unlikely to be a surveillance camera to me. The resolution of such a small unit would be poor and when the light is operating there would be a fair amount of glare. The other thing is that surveillance cameras really need to be accessible real time. Spotting some dodgy looking character loitering in the street 3 months after the event is not very useful IMHO.
Duple

Post by Duple »

It would also need to be capable of streaming the data (probably not impossible in this day and age). A memory card would be filled within 24 hours if the footage was of any usable resolution.
J--M--B

Post by J--M--B »

Duple wrote:It would also need to be capable of streaming the data (probably not impossible in this day and age). A memory card would be filled within 24 hours if the footage was of any usable resolution.
Quite feasible, could be a receiving point nearby or just have a wireless broadband card to send on 4G.

I was told many years ago about covert CCTV cameras in TV centres - not just the ones that you cannot tell where they are looking. There are also one used in rural areas to monitor things like fly tippers.
JMB
Fort William
http://www.mbriscoe.me.uk

"Give me the third best technology. The second best won't be ready in time. The best will never be ready." Robert Watson-Watt
michael769

Post by michael769 »

The angles would be rubbish for monitoring things on the ground, with the lamp head blocking the view of a huge swath of the ground.

If you wanted a covert camera you'd put it inside the lamp not on top of it!
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
Take the pledge