Unique Police Issue Traffic Lantern.

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

chglm

Unique Police Issue Traffic Lantern.

Post by chglm »

Been an age since I posted but has anybody come across one of these before?!
Apologies this is a poor photo; its a still taken from an episode of "the professionals"
I've got all types of lamps and bits and pieces but I doubt if any of these exist anymore. If they do they must be extremely rare!
Ive saw the old roadworks 3 leg yellow stands, yellow single pole stands set in concrete with the cheap, paint peeling Dorman lamps on top but never a black and white pole with a blue lamp exclusive for police.

I never saw any of these anywhere except on TV shows all based in London and in old books about the Metropolitan Police. I presume they were only perhaps issued to them late 60s-early 70's? Looks like possibly a Dorman product powered by a battery in the base?
Attachments
light.jpg
"Bring Back The Old STOP Sign"!!
yen_powell

Re: Unique Police Issue Traffic Lantern.

Post by yen_powell »

It looks remarkably like the small Belisha beacons used by our road safety team when visiting schools to teach them how to cross the road. Except with the yellow globe switched for a blue one of course. This was back in the mid 80s and they looked old then.