Zebra Crossing in a 40mph

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

L.J.D

Zebra Crossing in a 40mph

Post by L.J.D »

Is this even lawful ? And to make matters worse yes it's at the dead of night but surely a zebra crossing on an unlit road is unlawful ? Also I think the fact the dual carriageway further up is also 40 just shows how hideous speed limit designation is. :laugh:
michael769

Re: Zebra Crossing in a 40mph

Post by michael769 »

They are legal at any speed. The DRMB discourages their use on roads with a 85 percentile above 35mph (which would apply to most 40mph roads), but that's merely a guideline and would only apply to new installations.

Given the sight-lines in the case I don't see a particular problem with this arrangement - especially as the advanced warning signs recommended by LTN 2/95 (for roads with an 85th percentile above 30mph) are in place.

When you say the road is unlit - are you saying the streetlights are switched off at night? If so the lamp beside the crossing really should be left on to ensure that pedestrians are not "hidden" by the glare of oncoming headlamps. LTN 2/95 makes is clear that lighting is necessary at all ped crossings.
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
Take the pledge
mikehindsonevans

Post by mikehindsonevans »

L.J.D wrote:Is this even lawful ? And to make matters worse yes it's at the dead of night but surely a zebra crossing on an unlit road is unlawful ?:
Err - is it "unlit" because the Street Lamp above the right-hand Belisha beacon is broken?
Mike Hindson-Evans.
Never argue with a conspiracy theorist.
They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
sotonsteve

Post by sotonsteve »

There are a couple of zebra crossings on slip roads leading to and from the A31 at Ringwood which are under national speed limit.
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

L.J.D wrote:Is this even lawful ? And to make matters worse yes it's at the dead of night but surely a zebra crossing on an unlit road is unlawful ? Also I think the fact the dual carriageway further up is also 40 just shows how hideous speed limit designation is. :laugh:
Well this has a pedestrian crossing on a NSL section of dual carriageway!
Formerly known as 'lortjw'
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

The scariest zebra crossing ever has to be the former example on the A6177 in Bradford - 40mph D3 with a zebra crossing.

It's now gone, replaced with a signalised gyratory next to a business park.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Bfivethousand

Post by Bfivethousand »

Birmingham still has plenty of examples of zebras on its dual carriageways - most are now subject to 30mph limits although I'd wager the 85%iles are substantially higher in many cases.

Many moons ago my sister was hospitalised when crossing one on the Bristol Road because of a biker tearing along the dotted line.
16 Sodium atoms walk into a bar
followed immediately by Batman
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Bfivethousand wrote:Many moons ago my sister was hospitalised when crossing one on the Bristol Road because of a biker tearing along the dotted line.
So probably not keeping to the 40 limit, let alone the new 30?
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

Bryn666 wrote:The scariest zebra crossing ever has to be the former example on the A6177 in Bradford - 40mph D3 with a zebra crossing.

It's now gone, replaced with a signalised gyratory next to a business park.
How that never ended up with pedestrians being knocked down or cars being rear ended, every single day, I'll never know, as visibility of the person crossing would be poor and then you'd have cars seemingly stopping for no visible reason.