Manhole cover spray paint

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

flembot

Manhole cover spray paint

Post by flembot »

Does anyone know what the spray paint around this manhole cover might mean?

Image: https://1drv.ms/i/s!AvxDFgUHUgNC5QyMtFPl9qRX_4vB

Cheers
Reading

Re: Manhole cover spray paint

Post by Reading »

yellow is usually Gas i think, so could be a t-junction of a 6'' gas main with arrow likely indicating flow direction - will go check the markings outside my house when i get home (all marked up for a new 11kVa to be laid down the road)
RichardA35
Committee Member

Post by RichardA35 »

flembot wrote:Does anyone know what the spray paint around this manhole cover might mean?

Image: https://1drv.ms/i/s!AvxDFgUHUgNC5QyMtFPl9qRX_4vB

Cheers
A bit tricky to be precise but quite possibly simply the direction of flow of incoming and outgoing pipes and the diameter (in inches).
RichardA35
Committee Member

Post by RichardA35 »

Reading wrote:yellow is usually Gas i think, so could be a t-junction of a 6'' gas main with arrow likely indicating flow direction - will go check the markings outside my house when i get home (all marked up for a new 11kVa to be laid down the road)
The colour will have little significance as it will be the paint that was in the van when the survey was done and the manhole lids lifted - it would be extremely rare for a gas junction to be laid in a chamber. IME from services laid in similar chambers, you could narrow down the search to foul or surface water drainage or BT (and it doesn't look like a BT cover).
Reading

Post by Reading »

ok - round me it is all yellow = gas, blue = water, red = e;lectric (marked hv or lv) green = cable (we are in virgin cable land), white = drainage

Although you are correct in that 2 ins and 1 out would indicate something like drainage (foul or surface water)
flembot

Post by flembot »

Interesting. That photo is of a man hole cover East Belfast Upper Newtownards road. Lots of work going on there at the moment. I think they are moving as many utilities off the road and into the pavement as possible.
Reading

Post by Reading »

We have had all gas mains relined with plastic piping a couple of years back and now a new HV cable being laid which has to come down my road as the local council (who now manage the A3290 (was A329(m)) wanted a £30m security for 10 years to allow the electricity people to send a boring machine under it instead. Along with a collapsed pitch fibre foul drain and new BT fibre plus the Virgin Fibre my road looks like grannies patchwork quilt
Dougman

Post by Dougman »

Reading wrote:ok - round me it is all yellow = gas, blue = water, red = e;lectric (marked hv or lv) green = cable (we are in virgin cable land), white = drainage

Although you are correct in that 2 ins and 1 out would indicate something like drainage (foul or surface water)
That usually happens when the GPR survey boys are in, they can afford the different colours of paint from the huge amounts they charge!

But all the gas mains have just been done down the road from me and all the services were marked in white, apart from electric that was marked in blue for some reason.
lose: (v): to suffer the deprivation of - to lose one's job; to lose one's life.

loose: (a): free or released from fastening or attachment - a loose end.
darkcape

Post by darkcape »

That looks like a sewer to me, most likely surface water. The colour is not always significant as it'll be whatever colour they had at the time.
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!