Icelandic 3D Zebra Crossing

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Bfivethousand

Icelandic 3D Zebra Crossing

Post by Bfivethousand »

It'll never catch on here of course. This, however, is very very clever and creative...

https://youtu.be/szJbz-z7iJw
16 Sodium atoms walk into a bar
followed immediately by Batman
Osthagen

Re: Icelandic 3D Zebra Crossing

Post by Osthagen »

This thread should be moved to 'International Roads', surely?
"I see the face of a child. He lives in a great city. He is black. Or he is white. He is Mexican, Italian, Polish. None of that matters. What matters, he's an American child"
- Richard Nixon
Bfivethousand

Post by Bfivethousand »

Quite... go for it mods, I thought the same the moment I clicked on Submit.
16 Sodium atoms walk into a bar
followed immediately by Batman
85CF380

Post by 85CF380 »

No. Stay I say. The post is about an interesting idea that happens to be in Iceland & not about a specific road in Iceland.
Osthagen

Post by Osthagen »

85CF380 wrote:No. Stay I say. The post is about an interesting idea that happens to be in Iceland & not about a specific road in Iceland.
But the forum is called 'British and Irish Roads'. This is neither a British nor an Irish road, but an Icelandic one.
"I see the face of a child. He lives in a great city. He is black. Or he is white. He is Mexican, Italian, Polish. None of that matters. What matters, he's an American child"
- Richard Nixon
explo

Post by explo »

People on the internet, eh?

Always debating the important stuff.
AndyB
Elected Committee Member

Post by AndyB »

if you want a topic to be moved, report it to us. Don’t complain in the thread itself.

As you can see, I decided that zebra crossings are street furniture.
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

AndyB wrote:if you want a topic to be moved, report it to us. Don’t complain in the thread itself.

As you can see, I decided that zebra crossings are street furniture.
I agree with where you moved it and was thinking earlier that it should be there not in the international section.
Formerly known as 'lortjw'
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Aaaanyway...

I really like the way this looks - the effect is amazing, actually, when seen from the right direction.

Is it a road safety thing, though, or just an impressive visual effect?
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

In Iceland they're building 3D crossings, in the UK we're building 2D flyovers! :lol:
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham

From the SABRE Wiki: Black Dam Roundabout :

Black Dam Roundabout is the roundabout at the north end of the spur from junction 6 of the M3, though the name is commonly applied to both this junction and the main roundabout under the M3.

The junction started out as a T junction between London Road and Coronation Road (later called Grove Road). By the 1960s, the A30 had been diverted down Grove Road, and this junction became a large T-junction with priority towards Grove Road. The A339 now took the old

... Read More
Piatkow

Post by Piatkow »

Chris5156 wrote:Aaaanyway...

I really like the way this looks - the effect is amazing, actually, when seen from the right direction.

Is it a road safety thing, though, or just an impressive visual effect?
If you know that that is what a crossing looks like then fine but I can just see somebody getting rear ended because they thought that it was a real obstruction and doing an emergency stop.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

It's a waste of paint.

Firstly, it will work at best for each driver once only. Once they know what it is, it'll be just another crossing, no different from the standard stripes-only type.

Secondly, if this is not a one-way street, it will not work from the reverse direction. Do we know whether there is one-way or two-way traffic here?

And Piatkow has mentioned the possible accident risk. Sorry, this is just someone being clever-clever, and I can see it being replaced with a normal crossing pretty quickly.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Lockwood

Post by Lockwood »

We see a car traveling over it from the "wrong" side, so it appears to be a two-way road.

The moment where the bike is crossing it and another bike is going down the road was a right mind-screw.

It is an interesting concept, but I think that if a football containing a pentagon would be so distracting it would cause an accident, a crossing that appears as a 3D object rising from the road would be unthinkable.

(It is a cool effect though, perhaps this would work on a private technology park with a one way system and be in keeping with the modern art feel)