Happy Birthday to Traffic Lights!

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

SamWolves23

Happy Birthday to Traffic Lights!

Post by SamWolves23 »

Yesterday, Sunday 5th November 2017, marked the 90th birthday of the first set of traffic lights in the United Kingdom.

The first traffic lights were placed in Princes Square, Wolverhampton, on the 5th November 1927. To celebrate this, the set there to this day have the original white and black stripes up the pole, unlike others which are plain black.

I am only just putting this on now because I didn't realise until very late in the day yesterday and this is my first post, so I had to find where to do it :? .
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Re: Happy Birthday to Traffic Lights!

Post by Steven »

Princes Square was oddly enough, also the first place in the United Kingdom where pedestrian barriers were installed.

One thing to remember though - the Princes Square lights were the first modern-style automatic traffic lights, not the first lights of any kind.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

From the SABRE Wiki: Princes Square :

Formerly the location of the junction between A460, A454, A4124 and B4158, Princes Square (often mis-spelt as Princess Square) in Wolverhampton is today an unremarkable junction in the city centre.

In historic terms, it is extremely important as on 5

... Read More