Why the brackets?

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

MotorwayPlannerM21

Why the brackets?

Post by MotorwayPlannerM21 »

I've been bothered for a long time by these signs; here and here.
Why is the A26 in brackets? This is the point at which the road starts so why are there brackets?
Is there something I'm missing or is it just wrong?
"All roads lead to Rome"
What about the M25?

The A205 - The road to... oh wait I should've turned right back there!
Stevie D

Re: Why the brackets?

Post by Stevie D »

MotorwayPlannerM21 wrote:I've been bothered for a long time by these signs; here and here.
Why is the A26 in brackets? This is the point at which the road starts so why are there brackets?
Is there something I'm missing or is it just wrong?
Nope, I don't think you're missing anything. If Google and OS are correct then the A26 does start from that junction, which means it should not be bracketed.
jgharston

Post by jgharston »

Second sign certainly, but the first sign I have a nagging feeling about the fact that the road at that point is the A20, so you have to traverse a non-A26 until you get the the A26. But, it's a one-way-system so functionally a roundabout....

Edit: Yes, like this one. You are currently on the A6101 and have to keep going along tha A6101 before you can turn off for the B6077 at the next junction, so it is signed (B6077).
MotorwayPlannerM21

Post by MotorwayPlannerM21 »

jgharston wrote:Second sign certainly, but the first sign I have a nagging feeling about the fact that the road at that point is the A20, so you have to traverse a non-A26 until you get the the A26. But, it's a one-way-system so functionally a roundabout....

Edit: Yes, like this one. You are currently on the A6101 and have to keep going along tha A6101 before you can turn off for the B6077 at the next junction, so it is signed (B6077).
That is true but it is the sign for the junction with the A26, so shouldn't need brackets.
"All roads lead to Rome"
What about the M25?

The A205 - The road to... oh wait I should've turned right back there!
Lockwood

Post by Lockwood »

Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

jgharston wrote:Second sign certainly, but the first sign I have a nagging feeling about the fact that the road at that point is the A20, so you have to traverse a non-A26 until you get the the A26. But, it's a one-way-system so functionally a roundabout....
It's an advance sign for a junction. If the road indicated at the junction is the A26 then it should say A26, no brackets required. But I suspect your logic is precisely why it has brackets.