Passing Place Signs.

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Pinzgauer

Passing Place Signs.

Post by Pinzgauer »

In days of old..... Passing Place signs on narrow roads where square signs, but mounted with corners at 12 and 6 o'clock. (ie. diamond shape ??) I notice that for a while now, replacement ones are mounted "square". As the old "Halt" signs and the later "Stop" signs, I understood that they were a unique shape to all other signs. The reasoning behind this was that they were still recognisable even if plastered in snow. Now, your new passing place sign could be a snow covered "Free Range Eggs at Farm" sign - or anything else for that matter. When did the regs. change to permit square rather than diamond shape come into force ??

Not vital stuff, but .............
Pinzgauer

Re: Passing Place Signs.

Post by Pinzgauer »

"where" "were" Oops !! :shock:
Viator

Post by Viator »

I don't know when it happened, but I believe that the "reasoning" was that diamond-shaped signs were to be reserved for those giving instructions to tram drivers. So many tramways on rural Highland roads, after all... :?
Glen
Social Media Admin

Post by Glen »

The new version of the passing place sign was introduced in the 1994 edition of TSRGD.

See here for more information: Single track road
822 1981.png
822 1981.png (13.2 KiB) Viewed 3578 times
822 2002.png
822 2002.png (6.62 KiB) Viewed 3578 times

From the SABRE Wiki: Single track road :

A single track road, sometimes referred to as S1, is a single carriageway road which is only wide enough for a single lane of traffic to pass at a time. Passing places are usually provided to allow traffic to pass either in opposing directions or to overtake slower vehicles. Single track roads are found on routes with low volumes of traffic so are usually B, C or unclassified roads, but some A roads and trunk roads with low traffic volumes also have sections of single track,

... Read More
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

Viator wrote:I don't know when it happened, but I believe that the "reasoning" was that diamond-shaped signs were to be reserved for those giving instructions to tram drivers. So many tramways on rural Highland roads, after all... :?
Not only that, but where tramways do exist all their drivers will be route-trained and will probably only drive the same few miles every day, so tram drivers are unlikely to be confused by anybody else's signs.

In fact you have more chance of a motorist being confused between motorway blue and cycle-lane blue.
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
Pinzgauer

Post by Pinzgauer »

Many thanks for your replies folks !
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

It was a somewhat needless change too as the tramway diamonds are elongated anyway.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Nwallace

Post by Nwallace »

What is also very odd about the new Passing Place signs is that they are now often on rectangular plates so there's a grey oblong above the sign itself.

Generally you'll only find the new signs where old ones have been replaced, and given that in some areas the passing place sign in use is still a wooden pole painted black and white, or the earlier small diamond which is often now a black sign with rust coloured writing...
Glen
Social Media Admin

Post by Glen »

Nwallace wrote:What is also very odd about the new Passing Place signs is that they are now often on rectangular plates so there's a grey oblong above the sign itself.
There's a blank section below the sign so that part can be mounted to the post and the sign plate can be double sided.
Which works fine until it eventually gets bent by the wind,

https://goo.gl/maps/oeZxHTU9BQG2
Nwallace

Post by Nwallace »

yeah that's me misremembering where the blank bit is.
ScottB5411

Post by ScottB5411 »

I utterly dispise people who do not pull over and let traffic behind them pass on single track roads and they are usually the ones that don't know how to or want to make good progress. They never pull over and end up with a stream of angry drivers behind them.
How about some more beans Mr. Taggart?
RichardA626

Post by RichardA626 »

ScottB5411 wrote:I utterly dispise people who do not pull over and let traffic behind them pass on single track roads and they are usually the ones that don't know how to or want to make good progress. They never pull over and end up with a stream of angry drivers behind them.
I remember being stuck behind a tractor & trailer for miles near Leek a few years ago because the driver seemed oblivious to the traffic behind them & passed a few places it would have been easy to pull into.

My Dad was fuming at time being so inattentive.
Beware of the trickster on the roof
Mark Hewitt

Post by Mark Hewitt »

It was a completely ridiculous and nonsensical change. When driving a proper S1 you to an extent rely on the signs and the distinctive shape means you can pick them out at a distance or with limited visibility and you know they aren't a sign for something else like they could be with square signs.

It's hardly like are ever going to be confused for tramway signs.