New poles appearing on the M1 verge between 30 and 32

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

XC70

New poles appearing on the M1 verge between 30 and 32

Post by XC70 »

Just noticed today that on M1 nb and sb between 30 and 32 a whole load of new poles have appeared. They are grey vertical poles about 2 metres high, with 2 horizontal cross members, one at the top one half way down. Each pole has a small junction box/cabinet next to it and curled up at the back of the poles are some electrical wires and a blue 3 pin external type plug.

Any ideas? Drive this route every day but mostly in the dark, cant imagine that they have all been fitted last night, so I must have just not noticed them slowly going up. Once I saw one today I must have seen at least a dozen between 30 and 31 alone.
matt_12345

Re: New poles appearing on the M1 verge between 30 and 32

Post by matt_12345 »

Similar thing happened on the M3 earlier this month.
They were for a small, square-type VMS.
Not seen them actually displaying anything since they were installed though. At a guess I'd think their main purpose would be to warn of queues on Lane 1/slip road ahead.
brummie_rob

Post by brummie_rob »

matt_12345 wrote:Similar thing happened on the M3 earlier this month.
They were for a small, square-type VMS.
Not seen them actually displaying anything since they were installed though. At a guess I'd think their main purpose would be to warn of queues on Lane 1/slip road ahead.
They are small VMS supposedly for roadwork closures and they were put on M6 J10a-J13 but have never been used in two years.
Arcuarius

Post by Arcuarius »

They are permanently installed VMS for use when traffic management is required. They are placed in advance of where tapers for narrow lanes or lane closures are usually installed, or where speed limits are in force.
"Accuse the other side of that which you are guilty."
- some extreme-right nutcase

1973-2007 Never forgotten
XC70

Post by XC70 »

Arcuarius wrote:They are permanently installed VMS for use when traffic management is required. They are placed in advance of where tapers for narrow lanes or lane closures are usually installed, or where speed limits are in force.
Thanks for the feedback. I do struggle to understand what they give that the gantries don't? Surely the gantries will be used for lane closures for roeadworks?
Arcuarius

Post by Arcuarius »

XC70 wrote:
Arcuarius wrote:They are permanently installed VMS for use when traffic management is required. They are placed in advance of where tapers for narrow lanes or lane closures are usually installed, or where speed limits are in force.
Thanks for the feedback. I do struggle to understand what they give that the gantries don't? Surely the gantries will be used for lane closures for roeadworks?
Because they're verge mounted it means that the gantries won't have to be working too. As I understand it, they're controlled by the TM contractor.
"Accuse the other side of that which you are guilty."
- some extreme-right nutcase

1973-2007 Never forgotten
brummie_rob

Post by brummie_rob »

I just don't understand why they have never been used on the M6 as far as I'm aware. Perhaps a FOI would be good to see how often they have been turned on.
darkcape

Post by darkcape »

The gantries can't be used solely to sign a roadworks lane closure - you normally use temporary signs, and the gantries are a "nice to have". Some RCC's insist on switching the gantries off once the TM is set out, so the signs are the only warning for traffic of the closure.

These small matrix boards will also be at the correct intervals ahead of the safe taper location, whereas with gantries now being installed far less frequently you'd need to sign the closure maybe three miles in advance.
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!