Towns that are absent from signs

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

crazyknightsfan

Re: Towns that are absent from signs

Post by crazyknightsfan »

Osthagen wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 01:21 The RCSs on even the most southerly reaches of the A74(M) display no other destination beyond Carlisle and the non-primary Gretna. If they're struggling for something to put on there, I would at least have Penrith on signs in that area, since a considerable amount of traffic will be turning off at J40, for the A66 to the A1(M), and for the Lake District.

Indeed, the number changes at Carlisle, but the mainline of the motorway continues for hundreds of miles further south and the signs gives no implication of this.
Same with the M6 heading north, nothing beyond Carlisle is shown until you actually pass Carlisle and get this sign.

Including this ludicrous 'Carlisle 4' RCS after J42.
Osthagen

Post by Osthagen »

crazyknightsfan wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 02:08 Same with the M6 heading north, nothing beyond Carlisle is shown until you actually pass Carlisle and get this sign.

Including this ludicrous 'Carlisle 4' RCS after J42.
The latter is an atrocity. But an older sign in its stead listed Glasgow and Edinburgh. There's no need for Carlisle to feature, because most traffic bound there will leave at J42.

A similar exhibit is this sign on the A1(M) southbound after J57, which lists no towns at all, only the junction of Scotch Corner displayed at 4 miles. Absurd, when the major urban centre of Leeds lies less than 60 miles away.
"I see the face of a child. He lives in a great city. He is black. Or he is white. He is Mexican, Italian, Polish. None of that matters. What matters, he's an American child"
- Richard Nixon
Al__S

Post by Al__S »

Osthagen wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 03:59
A similar exhibit is this sign on the A1(M) southbound after J57, which lists no towns at all, only the junction of Scotch Corner displayed at 4 miles.
Really weird, given that the A1(M) Southbound to A66 Westbound flow must surely be pretty minor? Surely for southbound A1(M) traffic Scotch Corner is primarily just a service area?
Osthagen

Post by Osthagen »

Al__S wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 07:45
Osthagen wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 03:59
A similar exhibit is this sign on the A1(M) southbound after J57, which lists no towns at all, only the junction of Scotch Corner displayed at 4 miles.
Really weird, given that the A1(M) Southbound to A66 Westbound flow must surely be pretty minor? Surely for southbound A1(M) traffic Scotch Corner is primarily just a service area?
There is a moderate measure of southbound traffic leaving at Scotch Corner for the Lakes, the north Dales and the M6. Plus if your coming from Darlington or Teesside, and your final destination is Carlisle or much of Western Scotland, then you're better off using the A66 than the A69.

But traffic is still much more likely to head south at SC, for York, most of the Dales, Leeds, the M62 (for Manchester, Hull and the West) and more long-distance southerly destinations.
"I see the face of a child. He lives in a great city. He is black. Or he is white. He is Mexican, Italian, Polish. None of that matters. What matters, he's an American child"
- Richard Nixon
Osthagen

Post by Osthagen »

Sheffield in general in Yorkshire, but especially on the M18 Southbound. It doesn't occur until after J5 for the M180.
- Richard Nixon
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

Osthagen wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 13:59 Sheffield in general in Yorkshire, but especially on the M18 Southbound. It doesn't occur until after J5 for the M180.
Even worse from the A1 southbound: no mention until the mile sign for the M18.
Osthagen

Post by Osthagen »

the cheesecake man wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 16:22
Osthagen wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 13:59 Sheffield in general in Yorkshire, but especially on the M18 Southbound. It doesn't occur until after J5 for the M180.
Signage to Sheffield on the A1 North is actually quite good. "Sheffield 38" appears on the RCS Northbound at Carlton-on-Trent, and the ADS signs north of there direct you to it pretty well via the A57.
- Richard Nixon
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

Osthagen wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 12:00
the cheesecake man wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 16:22
Signage to Sheffield on the A1 North is actually quite good. "Sheffield 38" appears on the RCS Northbound at Carlton-on-Trent, and the ADS signs north of there direct you to it pretty well via the A57.
Yes, from some directions it is. From the west it appears as a destination on the M60, M1 North it appears on RCS from 74 miles away at Lutterworth.

From some other directions it's poor, eg no mention at Lofthouse (M1/M62 interchange) whereas Leeds is signed from Sheffield eg here at the M18/M1 junction.
Osthagen

Post by Osthagen »

the cheesecake man wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 13:10 Yes, from some directions it is. From the west it appears as a destination on the M60, M1 North it appears on RCS from 74 miles away at Lutterworth.

From some other directions it's poor, eg no mention at Lofthouse (M1/M62 interchange) whereas Leeds is signed from Sheffield eg here at the M18/M1 junction.
As far as signage, and the consistency thereof, goes, the M1 is a disaster.

Heading north from the M25 at J6A would be a good place to have a nice long list of destinations like Milton Keynes, Northampton, Leicester, etc. All we get on the RCS though is "Luton 12". Now don't get me wrong, Luton is a big place and certainly worthy of being signed on a major NS axis, but a significant proportion of traffic in that area will inevitably leave the M1 well north of Luton.
- Richard Nixon
tom66

Post by tom66 »

Rushden, Northants is entirely omitted from signs on the B645 (ex A45) but Higham Ferrers is signed - despite it being a smaller town (~8,000 pop vs ~32,000 pop). The road more or less terminates right outside Rushden, so it's a strange omission.

Example:
https://www.google.com/maps/@52.2360728 ... 312!8i6656
Osthagen

Post by Osthagen »

tom66 wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 17:28 Rushden, Northants is entirely omitted from signs on the B645 (ex A45) but Higham Ferrers is signed - despite it being a smaller town (~8,000 pop vs ~32,000 pop). The road more or less terminates right outside Rushden, so it's a strange omission.

Example:
https://www.google.com/maps/@52.2360728 ... 312!8i6656
Neither town is a primary destination nor, to the best of my knowledge, is there any reason for either to be one. But Higham Ferrers is practically part of Rushden.

Signing HF but not Rushden is rather like signing Morley or Beeston instead of Leeds.
- Richard Nixon
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Osthagen wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 17:22Heading north from the M25 at J6A would be a good place to have a nice long list of destinations like Milton Keynes, Northampton, Leicester, etc. All we get on the RCS though is "Luton 12". Now don't get me wrong, Luton is a big place and certainly worthy of being signed on a major NS axis, but a significant proportion of traffic in that area will inevitably leave the M1 well north of Luton.
Yes, that particular RCS is really weird - just one place that’s very close by. Others further north aren’t that, but it’s a symptom of the fact there’s no overarching strategy, just individual signs put up by whoever is working on a particular project.
Osthagen

Post by Osthagen »

Chris5156 wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 20:32 Yes, that particular RCS is really weird - just one place that’s very close by. Others further north aren’t that, but it’s a symptom of the fact there’s no overarching strategy, just individual signs put up by whoever is working on a particular project.
The lack of an overarching strategy to signage generates massive inconsistencies, especially when you cross administrative borders.

For example, on the A66 East at Brough, Cumbria, the RCS lists:
The NORTH EAST
Scotch Corner 28
Darlington 36
Wetherby 67

Then, once you cross into Co Durham, after the B6277 , the RCS gives you:
Scotch Corner 12
No other signage east.

Likewise in Derbyshire, the RCS destinations on the M1 South are Nottingham, Leicester, Rugby and Northampton. Crossing into Notts, you lose all of these bar Leicester and end up with Loughborough.
- Richard Nixon
Osthagen

Post by Osthagen »

When I went to the Cotswolds in late August, the fork sign at M5 J11A read "Cirencester, London, A417". Turning off the M5 and onto the A417 there was not a single reference to London, only "Cirencester, Swindon".
- Richard Nixon
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Osthagen wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 15:16 For example, on the A66 East at Brough, Cumbria, the RCS lists:
The NORTH EAST
Scotch Corner 28
Darlington 36
Wetherby 67

Scotch Corner 12
No other signage east.

Likewise in Derbyshire, the RCS destinations on the M1 South are Nottingham, Leicester, Rugby and Northampton. Crossing into Notts, you lose all of these bar Leicester and end up with Loughborough.
What other primary destination is there before Scotch Corner ? About the only settlement is Greta Bridge.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.51498 ... 8192?hl=en

Approaching the A1(M) there is no shortage of destination signs.

Heading westbound after Temple Sowerby all that I recall being signed are Penrith and the M6
Osthagen

Post by Osthagen »

KeithW wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 16:28
Osthagen wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 15:16 For example, on the A66 East at Brough, Cumbria, the RCS lists:
The NORTH EAST
Scotch Corner 28
Darlington 36
Wetherby 67

Scotch Corner 12
No other signage east.

What other primary destination is there before Scotch Corner ? About the only settlement is Greta Bridge.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.51498 ... 8192?hl=en

Approaching the A1(M) there is no shortage of destination signs.

Heading westbound after Temple Sowerby all that I recall being signed are Penrith and the M6
The point is that the signage isn't consistent across administrative borders.
- Richard Nixon
AlexBr967

Post by AlexBr967 »

Not a town but there is not a single sign that I can find which welcomes you to or points you in the direction of Cock Alley, Derbyshire
wallmeerkat

Post by wallmeerkat »

I posted about it here viewtopic.php?p=1267177#p1267177

(An old village/now townland is on an RCS on a motorway)

Newtownabbey is not signposted anywhere, but it's constituent parts, the neighbouring villages that it consumed, and the housing estates built to connect them, are.

It's like not signposting Livingston but Kirkton, Craigshill etc are, that's how ridiculous it is.